Chuck Norris Sues,Says His Tears Are No Cancer Cure

Chuck Norris doens't obey the LAW. The LAW obeys Chuck Norris.

so this should be a no biggy :up::up:up:

I love chuck..but he really should take a joke..i bet if he had some of the proceeds from the book going to his kick start campaign..all would be dropped.

Well yeah, that would mean they had his permission. Unfortunately, thats not what happened. So he is being used without his permission and people are making money off his name. What kind of joke is that? It is his right to sue. Not that he needs the money, but it is for the principle of the matter. People can't just do what they want.

People can't just do what they want.

601_image_21.jpg

Whatever!

Well yeah, that would mean they had his permission. Unfortunately, thats not what happened. So he is being used without his permission and people are making money off his name. What kind of joke is that? It is his right to sue. Not that he needs the money, but it is for the principle of the matter. People can't just do what they want.

The Supreme Court has been pretty consistent in it's rulings defending fair use of materials for the purpose of satire, which this book could be very easily be classified as. They've even overturned quite a few decisions wherein the plaintiff was claiming libel and "emotional distress" (Falwell's case immediately comes to mind), citing that the work was clearly satire and thus protected by the First Amendment. Chuck may wind up eating crow on this one.

jag

Good luck Chuck -- don't get excited JAL :)

Whether the decision is in his favor or not, I don't see how anyone can blame Norris for being upset about it.

The Supreme Court has been pretty consistent in it's rulings defending fair use of materials for the purpose of satire, which this book could be very easily be classified as. They've even overturned quite a few decisions wherein the plaintiff was claiming libel and "emotional distress" (Falwell's case immediately comes to mind), citing that the work was clearly satire and thus protected by the First Amendment. Chuck may wind up eating crow on this one.

jag

I never thought about it like that..

so if its satire (which it clearly is) it could be over thrown?

Whether the decision is in his favor or not, I don't see how anyone can blame Norris for being upset about it.

Its keeping his name alive..besides..some of them are damn funny.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to be upset about it, though I'm not convinced he's being entirely sincere about his feelings on the matter. I'm just saying that, from a legal precedent position, he may not have much recourse. Chuck may just have to bend over and take it.

I never thought about it like that..

so if its satire (which it clearly is) it could be over thrown?

If the case gets ruled in his favor (which I think is probably pretty unlikely, given the clear legal precedence that's been set around satire and fair use), it's entirely likely that the Supreme Court would overturn the decision. It's happened very consistently with satire cases that have gone up to the Supreme Court level.

jag

If the case gets ruled in his favor (which I think is probably pretty unlikely, given the clear legal precedence that's been set around satire and fair use), it's entirely likely that the Supreme Court would overturn the decision. It's happened very consistently with satire cases that have gone up to the Supreme Court level.

jag

:up:

I see, :)

I don't think chuck can bend over an take it..his ash hole has teeth around it.

:D

lets the jokes ensue.

Two reasons Chuck won't win this:

1) As Jag mentioned, it is satire, which is protected.

2) Chuck just did a commercial for Mike Huckabee which featured several of the popular "facts" probably found in this book.

Satire is the greatest form of flattery...the man is lucky that people, especially kids our age(teens and college kids) even know who he is. He is an internet star but alas I hope he isn't reading this because I really don't want to die right before Christmas. Roundhouse kicks are especially nasty.

This was all supposed to be in good fun , he should be happy to remain relevent in pop culture without trying to be . However , the thought that some of these jokes are racist must be embarassing for him and it is a shame to see something that was so amusing be ruined by a couple of nobody meatheads.

i can understand his point of view to a degree. most of the "facts" are funny and good satire. but if they do get into raciest statements i can understand why he doesn't want them being put together with his name

I thought he was okay with them. I've seen him talking about the facts on several TV shows and he always seemed to be flattered by them. Doesn't make sense to me.

I think he just wants to cash on something that's been around for a long time making profit onhis name. which isn't that bad if you ask me, but if his arguments are fake and he's just saying he wants to sue because he feels the facts offend him, even after he's claimed he like's them and even used them...well that's just plain old hipocresy, and that's not nice

I thought he was okay with them. I've seen him talking about the facts on several TV shows and he always seemed to be flattered by them. Doesn't make sense to me.

That was when it was on the internet, no one was making money off him with that. Publishing a book and making money off it is something different.

Conan O 'Brien created a monster. :(

if it wasn't for those facts no one would remember who chuck norris is

悪魔天;13610448 said:
I just can't believe Chuck thinking people would believe these facts.Blew my mind when I read that.

LOL, it's really sad that he sued someone.
I mean, seriously, what is he worried about? his legacy?:whatever: "oh no! now the name Chuck Norris will be associated with something other than the greatness that is "Walker Texas Ranger"!"

AHAHAHAHAHA! idiot.

Pull the stick from your butt. It is satire. Besides, my guess is the only reason Norris is bothering to sue is because he wants to capitalize on this some how. After all, he had no problem using these "facts" in the Mike Huckabee ad.

Precisely! The lawsuit is ridiculous becuase they are jokes and even he participates in them, hence the Mountain Dew commercial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"