Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernesth100

The Writing Avenger
Reaction score
So I decided this was the best place to put this topic.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Fan Civil War
http://www.newsarama.com/21815-the-new-full-comic-book-superhero-movie-schedule.html

From 2015 to 2020 Marvel(Counting Fox and Sony) and DC(Counting Warner Bros) will be releasing Back to Back Superhero films. Could this be the true beggining of a Civi War amongst fans? I think so. Thoughts?

It's already happening actually. As of late any post, picture, video, or announcement about Marvel or DC on Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, and other sites cannot be posted without atleast one fan starting an argument about why X sucks and Y is better. So I've created stances.
Marvel Stance: Name Says All.
DC Stance: Name Says All
Nuetral: The people who just watch as the fans debate who's better and enjoy both Marvel and DC.
(There's also the I DON'T GIVE A F*** STANCE. But if your that stance then there's no reason for you to really be in this topic.:))

__________________________________________________________________________________
NOTE:
-This is not meant to start serious arguments but more so watch debates and news unfold about which Cinematic Universe is more succesful.
-Feel free too(if you want)choose a side. Simply Marvel or DC.
-If you feel like it you can debate or just discuss and compare, just don't turn in to a eleven year old(i.e. cursing out someone just because when they state their opinion)when doing so.
-This does not include Fox or Sony Marvel Non-MCU films. Or any Non-DCU films that may pop up.

Okay lately we've got news such as the Ant-Man trailer and the Age of Ultron trailer as well as another Age of Ultron trailer dropping soon. 2015 is pretty much a Marvel year. 2016 however will not be the same case. Where as DC has Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman: DoJ. Marvel has Doctor Strange and Captain America: Civil War. Both have alot going for them in 2016. But so much more coming later on to. I've created film match ups as well.

>2016
-Captain America: Civil War=Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
-Suicide Squad=Doctor Strange
>2017
-Gaurdians of the Galaxy 2/Spider-Man=Justice League Part 1
-Thor: Ragnarok/Black Panther=Wonder Woman
>2018
-Aquaman=Captain Marvel
-Avengers Infinity War Part 1=The Flash
>2019
-Avengers: Infinity War Part 2/Inhumans vs Justice League Part 2/Shazam
>2020
-Cyborg
-Green Lantern

As far as we know 2020 is the only year DC owns as Marvels owns 2015._____________________________________________________________________________________________
TEMPORARY TOPIC EDIT
All DC/Marvel TV Shows Live Action Shows and Movies of the past present and future(For example Batman Begins vs Iron Man or Agents of SHIELD vs Arrow) are allowed to be discussed until the release of BvS and Civil War where the thread will revert to just Cinematic Universe Film debates. You may also discuss Fox/Sony Marvel films as well.

Last edited:
Let's take this to the Misc. Comic Films section, shall we?

Can a Moderator or Admin move it or do I have to copy n paste?

Just my opinion but Marvel has already won...gonna be hard for DC to try to replicate their momentum. It's possible but I see Marvel continuing to make more money, they have everyone ready for what they have planned. Thanos has everybody sold.

I love both companies about equally but Marvel has the upperhand & their films are going to do bigger business throughout this time period, imo.

I could always be wrong, though. :D

DCCU has 1 movie...................................................lol

In order for DC to be a real challenge for the MCU, Batman v Superman is going to need to be very impressive, if not, they won't be much of a challenge against the MCU.

^QFT. The novelty factor alone will give BvS a huge OW to go into the record books. Maybe not top 3 or so but definitely biggest OW in March ever. After that though the movie needs to survive on more than the novelty factor.

I'll think that'll do BIG money regardless. If the Bayformers films make huge buck despite sucking, then his movie will do huge bank just on the novelty alone.

I'll think that'll do BIG money regardless. If the Bayformers films make huge buck despite sucking, then his movie will do huge bank just on the novelty alone.

Not all big stupid films make big money however. I mean between the thor stuff and sony's spiderman, it doesn't seem to always work no matter how many novelties they infuse into them.

Not all big stupid films make big money however. I mean between the thor stuff and sony's spiderman, it doesn't seem to always work no matter how many novelties they infuse into them.
I think Thor's material is some of the best comic book movie stuff ever, and I know I'm not alone in thinking that. Just saying :yay:

I think Thor's material is some of the best comic book movie stuff ever, and I know I'm not alone in thinking that. Just saying :yay:

I believe you, everyone has an opinion. And the box office numbers do a fine job of arguing that.

I believe you, everyone has an opinion. And the box office numbers do a fine job of arguing that.
I think the Thor movies do a good job of appealing to LOTR/fantasy fans. For example, one of my friends is a huge Tolkien fan and he said that TDW is his favorite MCU film. It's one of my favorites too and I'm a big Tolkien fan as well.

I think the Thor movies do a good job of appealing to LOTR/fantasy fans. For example, one of my friends is a huge Tolkien fan and he said that TDW is his favorite MCU film. It's one of my favorites too and I'm a big Tolkien fan as well.

One of my friends is a big fan of Game of Thrones, was even pumped to that one of the directors was migrating over to direct the Thor sequel. She seemed more disappointed in the outcome then most.
Just saying, not everyone thinks the same of everything. What one poster(such as the one I originally responded to) thinks is crap, someone else my enjoy. It happens and when it's reflected in the box office, it shouldn't be that big a head scratcher.

Box office wise? Not a single film in 2016 will make more than BvS. It'll likely break the Avengers record. Just because of the fact that Batman and Superman are in a film together and even the Marvel fans will go see it. Plot wise?

I don't think there's a way that Batman v Superman can turn out good with them shoving Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Cyborg, Wonder Woman, and Lex Luthor into one film.

The real thing they have to prove is that they can make a good movie that isn't Btamna or Superman. Which is where Suicide Squad comes in.

Box office wise? Not a single film in 2016 will make more than BvS. It'll likely break the Avengers record.

The audience interest for Cap 3 is standing on several movies' worth of build-up, as was Avengers. BVS only has one Man of Steel and features a new, untested take on Batman. It'll do great, but I don't see how it could hope to outgross either.

Match-ups should include ALL marvel movies, not just MCU

The audience interest for Cap 3 is standing on several movies' worth of build-up, as was Avengers. BVS only has one Man of Steel and features a new, untested take on Batman. It'll do great, but I don't see how it could hope to outgross either.

Could end up the first Cap movie to outrate a competing X-Men movie.

I think the interest in the build-up is being overstated though. Civil War is being built up for sure but Batman and Superman and the first movie Wonder Woman on screen together for the first time is bigger than characters like Cap who audiences has seen every year since 2012, imo.

Last edited:
In order for DC to be a real challenge for the MCU, Batman v Superman is going to need to be very impressive, if not, they won't be much of a challenge against the MCU.

For DC to be a real challenge to the MCU, one movie alone won't do it. DC/WB has the only critically acclaimed CBM trilogy, and lots of people still don't see them as a real challenge to the MCU.

For the DCCU to be a real competitor, IMO, they have to build a trust in the product the way Marvel Studio's did.

It can't be like 2011-2013, where DC/WB put out a tentpole CBM that was horrible (GL), a critically acclaimed CBM (TDKR), and then a financially successful, but critically divisive CBM (MOS).

They need to be consistent with their quality. That means an impressive BVS, as well as good movies in both Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman.

As a superhero fan. I'm glad that Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel are getting solo movies.

It's important to give a new generation of young women their own cinematic heroes too.

If WB/DC want to be successful and be a serious competitor to Marvel.

They will have to start interacting with the audience, when it's close to JL's release date. It's vital for them to start thinking of the people, who they target to see these movies.

Fan interaction is what made Marvel the huge juggernaut, it is today.

A lot of fans feel connected to the MCU, since the guys in change take notice of fans' creative quips from fan art, cosplay and fan-fiction.

As a superhero fan. I'm glad that Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel are getting solo movies.

It's important to give a new generation of young women their own cinematic heroes too.

Not only that, but I'm glad Black Panther and Cyborg are also getting movies.

As a fan of both, I'll be happy with whatever Marvel or DC dishes. I'm just going to be rooting for the underdog that is Power Rangers.

Why are you using Thor as an example? I'm not a big fan of his films, but his box office results have been pretty good so far, the first film did better than Captain America and a lot of people still seem to talk very positively of it, while the 2nd film was among the 10 highest grossing films of 2013.

I don't see much to argue the Thor films as being failures, box office and criticaly wise, they have been pretty decent. I think you used some bad examples regarding the idea that big action films can still not impress, you should have used Battleship, Lone Ranger or G.I.Joe, hell, even the Blade films would have been better examples...

For DC to be a real challenge to the MCU, one movie alone won't do it. DC/WB has the only critically acclaimed CBM trilogy, and lots of people still don't see them as a real challenge to the MCU.

That's because that Trilogy was very connected to Nolan, and it was its oun thing, barely anyone involved with those films is making these DC universe films, i believe the score composer and Goyer are te only variables that both projects have in common.

The Ironman trilogy has acclaim as well.

This is the case with the majority of mcu films.

Why are you using Thor as an example? I'm not a big fan of his films, but his box office results have been pretty good so far, the first film did better than Captain America and a lot of people still seem to talk very positively of it, while the 2nd film was among the 10 highest grossing films of 2013.

I don't see much to argue the Thor films as being failures, box office and criticaly wise, they have been pretty decent. I think you used some bad examples regarding the idea that big action films can still not impress, you should have used Battleship, Lone Ranger or G.I.Joe, hell, even the Blade films would have been better examples...
The poster suggested that if TF can make a billion any big silly film can. I mentioned thor, as an example of such a film that simply can't. Insinuating that's it may not be as cut and dry as any 'big dumb film' making a billion. That is, if it was that easy/simple, everyone would be doing it. But sure, perhaps I could have used gi joe or battle ship, either way, same point if you actually follow the point I was making.

As for thors quality, that's another matter.

Hate to be create more negative fuss over the DC films, but I don't see WB catching up to Feige and Co. for a long time.

First there is the issue of trust in the product quality which, as The Batman has previously stated, includes not just putting out great content but doing so consistently. WB has failed to do that in the grander context, occasionally catching lightning in a bottle with their top two properties. More than that, they have failed to launch off their current universe with the desired level of quality. Marvel was off with a boom with Iron Man. WB was off with people already being split at the fence.

However, there's also a second problem no one seems to be discussing.

Marvel's success wasn't just due to quality. It was only half the battle; other half being the excellent marketing and buildup.

They don't simply release a good product and leave the audience waiting for the next. They know how to constantly keep people excited and get them talking. Even while there's nothing in theatres, Marvel is still very much present on a weekly basis through the one-shots they release (though not as often recently), the TV shows they put out (with more on the way), and the announcements they make and release. It's evolved beyond just being a series of beloved films - it's now a beloved universe. The GA cares about the quality, of course, but in the bigger scheme, we've reached a point where people care about the universe period. It's become a pleasure to simply see the universe grow, character by character, piece by piece.

As a result, trust alone simply wouldn't be enough. You need consistent quality and consistent excitement. It will be quite a challenge for Snyder and Co. to compete with that, and frankly I don't know if any other studio will be able to recreate it to the same extent Marvel did anytime soon. Case in point, Fox Studios. We've arguably reached a stasis in which they've gained trust from their audience with consistent quality being put out, at least as far as the X-Men go, but they're still by no means a threat to Marvel. People still don't get excited for Fox's films as they do with Marvel past the excitement that's generated "in the moment". I have no doubt Apocalypse will generate lots of excitement, but will it be consistent excitement? Are people as excited for the X-Men franchise now, during a break, as they are for when Marvel takes a break from theatres? How big were the Cyclops/Jean/Storm casting announcements compared with the Chadwick Boseman one?

WB's excitement with BvS has had a similar "in the moment" generation to Fox's. There was excitement for the Batsuit, then it kinda vanished. There was excitement over the Comic Con trailer, then it kinda vanished. That's not to say people don't care about those things anymore, but they will have to be reminded of them at some point along the marketing. Marvel almost doesn't have to remind anyone of anything, which I guess is the epitome of my point.

Last edited:
The fact that the MCU had a 5 year head start with their universe doesn't bode well for the DCCU. It will be a very difficult task to "catch up", but in all honesty I don't think they need to. If the films are good on a consistent basis, that's all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"