Civil War In The Dcu?

Now that I think about it, couldn't Zatanna just tell Congress to "Etov on no noitartsiger"?

She could, but I'm pretty sure she's trying not to influence people that way anymore after everything that happened with Dr. Light and Identity Crisis and stuff.

I Know; I Was Mostly Kidding.
Her Existence Alone Might Give Them Reason To Put Forth Such A Bill.
Oh-and You Forgot Catwoman.

I didn't forget Catwoman, I just didn't feel like listing out everyone she mind-****ed. Hence the "and stuff."

I don't see how a bill demanding that Zatanna--who has no secret identity since her superhero name is her real name--give up her identity and roll over for the government would make her any less dangerous.

It wouldn't; but they'd use her as an excuse to keep a shorter leash on everybody in tights.

Here's a thought; if the government could tell superheroes what to do, what would stop them from, say, sending all the heroes to Iraq?

Yeah, but then the heroes could trot out the Dr. Fates and Orions and all the other uber-powerful badasses that nothing on Earth could stand a chance in hell of stopping and point out that these guys could've demolished the world a hundred times over, but instead they've directed their efforts to stopping guys like Mageddon and Imperiex, who are even more uber-powerful, from doing just that. And they could also point the finger at Checkmate, which was rather easily infiltrated by a metahuman whom the government thought it had on a short leash, and Brother Eye. Look at all the damage they caused. Look at the damage that General Eiling or Major Force, respected military officers, have caused. And who stopped them all? The selfsame heroes that the government now wants to oppress.

Hmmm DC's Civil War????
Heroes fighting a villain who causes a nuclear explosion and kills a bunch of people...it sounds familar......Kingdom Come anyone

Lackey said:
Exactly, which makes it rather odd, to me, for a man as wise and brilliant as Reed Richards to just bend over and take it.

Ya I was surprised by this as well, I guess scince he doesn't really have a secret ID he doesn't figure it to be a big deal.

That's How I See It; Since Doom Only Occasionally Attacks The Baxter Building, He Figures He Doesn't Have Much To Lose & Neither Should Anyone Else.

That's pretty naive. I'm sure Reed realizes he lives a very privileged lifestyle that not many other heroes share. Hell, he's friends with Spider-Man. You don't need to look any farther than Spider-Man to see how the bill could hit the less privileged heroes hard.

He May Know Spider-Man, But Does He Know About Gwen Stacey? Does He Know The Horror Of Coming Home & Finding A Pumpkin Bomb Where The Love Of Your Life Should Be? Does He Know About The Plot To Kidnap Aunt May? Or Why Peter Had To Move Into Avengers Tower? Or Being Duped Into Thinking You're A Clone Of Yourself? Does He Understand The Hardship Of Keeping Your Personal Life & Your Costumed Life Separate, & The Consequences Of When You Fail To Do So?

I don't think it's even been explicitly stated, but I imagine Spider-Man and the Torch talk, so the FF probably knows something of Peter's troubles. If nothing else, they know how dangerous Venom is because Peter went to them for help when the symbiote was still bonded to him. I'm sure Reed can imagine how troublesome a being that powerful with full knowledge of Spider-Man's identity and loved ones could be.

It doesn't just have to be Spider-Man, though. Reed definitely knows about the troubles Daredevil's had after his secret identity got out. I'm sure there are others. Pretty much anytime a villain learns a hero's identity, badness ensues. The evidence is right there for anyone who cares to look.

You're Just Not Gonna Give Reed Any Slack On This, Are You? Is It Just Incomprehensible To You That Someone So Smart Could Have His Head That Far Up His Bum?

Reed could have his head up his bum, literally:p.

Even though I thought it was pretty out-of-character for Reed to support the registration, I thought that it was far, far more ridiculous for Sue to be supporting it, too. She of all people know how much danger her family is in constantly; her son was sent to hell and ended up needing therapy because of it, for pete's sake. She constantly battles with and often regrets their decision to be public with their identities due to the simple fact that it puts her children in that much more danger. For her to look at how worried Spider-Man is that the people he loves most are going to get killed because of this act and say "It's not that big a deal" is just downright ludicrous. It is that big a deal and she's had first-hand experience with it.

And so has Reed. He's never been an "easy way out, ends justify the means" character, in fact he's always been the exact opposite...that is, until the Illuminati and Civil War started messing with him. Before, he constantlly tried to make everyone happy and is never satisfied with anything less than the best possible outcome, and he's so smart that most often than not he's been able to think up that best possible outcome. That he's the very first person to end up agreeing with Tony on this act is just very questionable. Not as questionable as Sue, but questionable all the same.

I agree... and besides all that, if Marvel wanted to keep a more unbiased approach to this, then I think they shouldn't have had the two smart guys on the same team... Reed should've sided against the registration act just to even the odds.

Chris Wallace said:
Here's a thought; if the government could tell superheroes what to do, what would stop them from, say, sending all the heroes to Iraq?
They used to have the Suicide Squad for that. Bunch of villains they could send to Moscow or places similar and just pull off a few assassinations.

I know 9/11 happened in the MU and I assume the Iraq war has as well so I never understood why, with so many top metahumans as government\SHIELDS ops and mercs, there arent tons of them over there. Its hard to believe that they would all be opposed to the war or refuse to do the governments bidding.

Shawkur said:
I know 9/11 happened in the MU and I assume the Iraq war has as well so I never understood why, with so many top metahumans as government\SHIELDS ops and mercs, there arent tons of them over there. Its hard to believe that they would all be opposed to the war or refuse to do the governments bidding.
Superhero comics are still an escapist art, and therefore try not to get too mixed in with today's politics. Beyond that, most superheroes still think some wars should still be fought by humans, and not by the supers.

BrianWilly said:
Reed could have his head up his bum, literally:p.

Even though I thought it was pretty out-of-character for Reed to support the registration, I thought that it was far, far more ridiculous for Sue to be supporting it, too. She of all people know how much danger her family is in constantly; her son was sent to hell and ended up needing therapy because of it, for pete's sake. She constantly battles with and often regrets their decision to be public with their identities due to the simple fact that it puts her children in that much more danger. For her to look at how worried Spider-Man is that the people he loves most are going to get killed because of this act and say "It's not that big a deal" is just downright ludicrous. It is that big a deal and she's had first-hand experience with it.

And so has Reed. He's never been an "easy way out, ends justify the means" character, in fact he's always been the exact opposite...that is, until the Illuminati and Civil War started messing with him. Before, he constantlly tried to make everyone happy and is never satisfied with anything less than the best possible outcome, and he's so smart that most often than not he's been able to think up that best possible outcome. That he's the very first person to end up agreeing with Tony on this act is just very questionable. Not as questionable as Sue, but questionable all the same.
Everything you said makes perfect sense. But I should've expected that opening remark.

Harlekin said:
Superhero comics are still an escapist art, and therefore try not to get too mixed in with today's politics. Beyond that, most superheroes still think some wars should still be fought by humans, and not by the supers.
That's true, but do you really see someone like US Agent sitting on the sidelines? I just assume the heroes who would support the war are all occupied doing things they think are more important, though. It's not as convenient as DC's WWII Spear of Destiny explanation, but it works for me.

Lackey said:
I agree... and besides all that, if Marvel wanted to keep a more unbiased approach to this, then I think they shouldn't have had the two smart guys on the same team... Reed should've sided against the registration act just to even the odds.
Agreed.

TheCorpulent1 said:
That's true, but do you really see someone like US Agent sitting on the sidelines? I just assume the heroes who would support the war are all occupied doing things they think are more important, though. It's not as convenient as DC's WWII Spear of Destiny explanation, but it works for me.
But that's the nice thing. US Agent hasn't been sitting on the side-lines, and least not the last time we saw him with the New Invaders.

True, but there are loads of heroes unaccounted for at any given time. It seems unlikely that not a single one of them felt the need to intercede in Iraq. It'd actually be a good story for someone to write. I'd love to see Brubaker put Cap in the position of having to retrieve an American hero from Iraq when Cap probably doesn't agree with the war either.

Lex, when he was president, had Superman go on a mission in Qurac (DC's Iraq equivalent)

It's also the place where Lois was shot being an embedded reporter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"