Civil War Civil War Mistakes (Ant-Man)

nirockzzz

Civilian
Reaction score
[YT]nyLHUFD3Uiw[/YT]

I'd like to specifically talk about Ant-Man here, In the Ant-Man movie Hope says that "when you r small energy's compressed so you have a 200 pound man behind a 100th of an inch wide. you are like a bullet". so that means when he becomes big he still should have his normal strength which means he can not lift trucks like he did it in the movie right? what do you guys think about this?

[I have posted this thread here in wrong section before so I'm posting it here again]

No, because the process was different when he transformed into Giant-Man. Rather than simply pressing a button on his glove Scott made numerous entries into a keypad. It's reasonable to assume he was making both size and mass adjustments.

Last edited:
when Ant-man shrinks he sends his mass and size into another dimension. in exchange, his natural strength is replaced with an equal amount of "other dimensional strength." when he grows, he borrows size and strength from that other dimension. growing is harder on the body. in the books, it's not unusual to see someone who has grown in size to suffer ill effects from the process; pointing to it not being natural.

Ant-Man science doesn't really work. It's best to just not think about it.

No, because the process was different when he transformed into Giant-Man. Rather than simply pressing a button on his glove Scott made numerous entries into a keypad. It's reasonable to assume he was making both size and mass adjustments.

Ant-Man movie science work like this, This is actually real science;

Pressure = Force(N)/Area(m)

so when you shrink a man with the same strength he can punch with the same force but now his fist is so tiny, as an example if we assume now his fist is 1/1000 times smaller now, he can apply a pressure of 1000 times more when he is in normal size. That's why hope says you're like a bullet now. So if we apply same theory to when he is huge, he can never have such power to lift trucks and all but like you said there must be different theory to explain what happens when he is big.

Ant-Man movie science work like this, This is actually real science;

Pressure = Force(N)/Area(m)

so when you shrink a man with the same strength he can punch with the same force but now his fist is so tiny, as an example if we assume now his fist is 1/1000 times smaller now, he can apply a pressure of 1000 times more when he is in normal size. That's why hope says you're like a bullet now. So if we apply same theory to when he is huge, he can never have such power to lift trucks and all but like you said there must be different theory to explain what happens when he is big.

I seriously laughed so hard at this. :D I was reading this with such conviction and intrigue thinking you were actually gonna answer the question OP raised. Was thoroughly disappointed. :up: 10/10 would disappoint myself again.

I seriously laughed so hard at this. :D I was reading this with such conviction and intrigue thinking you were actually gonna answer the question OP raised. Was thoroughly disappointed. :up: 10/10 would disappoint myself again.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but there is not way that can be explained by the same theory used when he gets small.

It was even more fuzzy in the first movie:

Ant-Man can't get through Yellowjacket's suit, so he goes subatomic. But then he is large enough to do some damage inside, before shrinking next to nothingness.

And if his powers really work by decreasing the distance between atoms, he should have a point at more-than-atomic size, where he can't shrink no more.

And of course ants can carry him in his shrunken size, despite his mass staying the same.

Luckily Rudd's charm makes these easy to overlook. :D

when Ant-man shrinks he sends his mass and size into another dimension. in exchange, his natural strength is replaced with an equal amount of "other dimensional strength." when he grows, he borrows size and strength from that other dimension. growing is harder on the body. in the books, it's not unusual to see someone who has grown in size to suffer ill effects from the process; pointing to it not being natural.

Another dimension? where is it mentioned in the movie? Could you please explain more?

It is comic book science. None these characters powers make sense when real scientific principles are applied.

Spidey even made a joke about caps shield not following the rules of physics.

The shrinking Pym particles are red while the growing ones are blue. The different variations of particles have different properties.

lol I thought same thing. But there are rules within universe.

In theory, but since the movie says that shrunk things retain their same mass, about an hour before Pym pulls a tank out of his pants (which would have weighed... 62 tons-ish?), I think it's best to just wave your hands in the air like you just don't care.

Like Cap's shield, which absorbs kinetic energy so that bullet's Peggy fired at it in The First Avenger just fall to the ground, instead of ricocheting around and killing her, Howard Stark and Cap himself, and then *doesn't* absorb kinetic energy when he hits people with it, or throws it to ricochet all over the place.

Ant-Man also has the bizarreness of shrinking to a quantum realm allowing you a couple of seconds leeway to do stuff (like sabotage a missile or someone else's supersuit) *after* the actual shrinking between the molecules, but, nonsensically, *before* you shrink between the molecules and disappear from the real world. Instead of the Wasp or Scott saving the day with heroic sacrifices, they would have disappeared from the universe before actually accomplishing anything, making it a very efficient means of escaping a problem, but not actually solving it.

"Well, on the downside, the missile is still going to hit the city. On the upside, Janet has discovered a microverse, and maybe we can move there, after our world is turned to radioactive glass in the ensuing nuclear war."

Eh. Comics. A wizard did it.

Ant-Man science doesn't really work. It's best to just not think about it.

I'm always confused about the strength and movement Ant-Man can have.

When Ant-Man shrinks down, is he supposed to have more strength proportional to the amount of mass he's lost? Like he gets his own strength plus even greater strength than what he normally would at a normal size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"