Classic movies you're ashamed to admit you haven't watched

The prequels are pretty different not just in terms of quality but general aesthetic.

I tried to just watch the opening of 2001 on YouTube one time because everyone talks about how epic and beautiful it is. I didn't even make it through a couple minutes before I got bored and stopped.

I'm not ashamed by my not seeing movies that are considered classics. Movies like The Godfather, Casablanca, Citizen Kane etc. just don't interest me that much.
Movies like The Godfather trilogy haven't interested me at all. Same for 2001: A Space Odyssey.

3cd8a33a.png

Oh man, you haven't seen the Sean Connery classics? Go out and rent all the Connery films (except 'Diamonds are forever' and 'Never say never', which are both awful).

Also, Pierce Brosnan was a great Bond stuck in terrible Bond films, but the first one 'Goldeneye' is okay. It's still stupid, but Brosnan's charisma and Sean Bean's villain makes it watchable.

I'm gonna have to say no, because from what I've seen of them they don't interest me any much lol.

What can I say, I'm not really a Bond fan :o

You're not missing anything.

Film is about a rich fat guy having a bunch of sexy parties....then his childhood toy; (red sled) goes missing. The rest of the film is a Who Done It! type of mystery...

That's a good (in)accurate description of the plot of the movie.

Citizen Kane is renowned more for its technical work than the story. There's more to movies than plots. Citizen Kane was kind of the Star Wars of its day, pulling techniques from previous filmmakers and combining them into one production.

EDIT: Finally saw Casablanca.

The sad thing is unless you grow up in a household that appreciates these movies, kids born these days will prob never watch a movie made before 1960 except for the big ones like Wizard of Oz.

Kids these days haven't seen anything before 1990 that's not by John Hughes, Spielberg or Lucas. Very sad.

2001 isn't for everybody. There is no dialogue for the first 20 or so minutes of the picture. If you can get into Kubrick's more visual-oriented style for it, then it is great.

The Dawn Of Man is the best sequence in the film, IMO and my favorite opening in a film ever.

Citizen Kane is renowned more for its technical work than the story. There's more to movies than plots. Citizen Kane was kind of the Star Wars of its day, pulling techniques from previous filmmakers and combining them into one production.

EDIT: Finally saw Casablanca.

Yeah, too many people put the emphasis on plot. Most of the best films are character driven and the plot has very little importance other than creating a stage for the character.

Top Gun - and I'm a Tom Cruise fan which makes it crazy I know I'm almost afraid to watch it now since it can live up to all the hype it has IMO

I've never seen All Quiet On The Western Front.

Top Gun - and I'm a Tom Cruise fan which makes it crazy I know I'm almost afraid to watch it now since it can live up to all the hype it has IMO
Its not actually a great film. Its just a bit of a cult classic.

Citizen Kane, the Godfather Trilogy, Cassablanca, any Clint Eastwood Western or John Wayne movie

Every year I make a concentrated effort to try and knock off a few more classics from my list. I think this year I'll aim for:

"M"
"Citizen Kane"
"Schindler's List"

I didn't see any of these movies. Damn it. I screwed up.

The Godfather.
Then I realize I've seen Batman & Robin and Transmorphers and I question my sanity.

I didn't see any of these movies. Damn it. I screwed up.
LOL, good for you for admitting it. Do check out M when you get a chance, though. It's probably in my top 5 of all-time.

As for the topic the first one that comes to mind for me is The Third Man. It's always on my to-watch list, and I never get around to it. Also, any Bergman film that's not The Seventh Seal or Wild Strawberries.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"