Classic Rock Appreciation Thread

Have you heard of Patrick Wolf. He is very much like a modern dayu version of bowie.

I used to work with a women who's dad was in The Animals. I can't remember which one he was.

Patrick Wolf is overrated. If you're looking for a "modern day Bowie", look no further than Bobby Conn.

Why would someone want 'modern day bowie' when they can just listen to Bowie?

Why would someone want 'modern day bowie' when they can just listen to Bowie?

I love Bowie, but when I've heard every song a million times, it gets played out. Sometimes you want something new in the same vein.

Why is your avatar of the new Hairspray, when you can just watch the old one? :o

I guess I see your point. Maybe I'll check out Bobby Conn. :o

Patrick Wolf is overrated. If you're looking for a "modern day Bowie", look no further than Bobby Conn.

I don't get this overrated stuff. Who cares if people think they are Overrated or Underrated. Check them out for yourselves and deicide if you like them or not. To many artists get written off by critics who don't give them a chance :csad:

I don't get this overrated stuff. Who cares if people think they are Overrated or Underrated. Check them out for yourselves and deicide if you like them or not. To many artists get written off by critics who don't give them a chance :csad:

Overrated applies to the hype surrounding the artist versus their actual output. In my opinion, Pat Wolf is nowhere near as good as some magazines and websites would have you believe.

Overrated applies to the hype surrounding the artist versus their actual output. In my opinion, Pat Wolf is nowhere near as good as some magazines and websites would have you believe.

I've hardly seen him in any Magazines. Who cares about hype.

I've hardly seen him in any Magazines. Who cares about hype.

Well, then you're not reading any, and that's fine. But Rolling Stone and SPIN have raved about him. And, really we shouldn't care about hype, so you're right on that one. But the fact remains is that it's there. As long as there hype, there will be disappointment.

Led Zep is my favourite but there are some amazing groups including The Who who came out with some epic albums.

Plus people like Jimi and Jeff Beck could do some amazing things with their guitar.

Also, Cream was an incredible group while it lasted.

Classical rock is my favourite type of music. It sucks they don't sell any tunes on Itunes.

Well, then you're not reading any, and that's fine. But Rolling Stone and SPIN have raved about him. And, really we shouldn't care about hype, so you're right on that one. But the fact remains is that it's there. As long as there hype, there will be disappointment.

In the UK every new Band or Singer gets Hyped up and no one takes it seriously. I know it hurts quite a few UK artists when they come to the states because people hear that 'whoever' said they where the greatest thing since sliced bread and when then dump on them when they don't live up to their expectations.

I've seen quite a few bands say this. They never said themselves they where the best band but people hate on them without even listening to their music.

I do see where your coming from though photojones2.

Did anyone see Pete Townshed play on stage with The Fratellis at Stubbs.

I like musicals, which the original is not. :o

I love classic rock and some old metal.

My top three favourites would be Blue Oyster Cult (Which is definitely my favourite above all. I recently got ahold of "Imaginos" on eBay. Can't wait to listen to it.), Alice Cooper (Got to see him in concert last year. It was awesome.), and Queen (Bloody shame Freddie's dead. He had one of the best voices in rock, and it's not the same without him.).

Other bands I'm into, or getting into:

- Deep Purple: I prefer their early stuff. "April" and "The Bird Has Flown" are my favourite songs from them. "Into the Fire" follows closely. "Smoke on the Water" is good, but I think they'd done much better songs than that.

- Black Sabbath: Really enjoy the music from the Ozzy years, and I've been looking for more from Dio's stint. "Sabbra Cadabra", "Who Are You?", "War Pigs", and "N.I.B." are my favourite from the Ozzy years. For Dio, my favourite so far is - typically - "Heaven and Hell".

- Led Zeppelin: Pretty high on my list of favourite bands. "Your Time is Gonna Come" is the song I like most, but I like everything else I've heard from them. Other good ones are "Poor Tom", "Going to California", "Achilles' Last Stand", "No Quarter", and "In My Time of Dying" (I hope I got that title right.)

More groups I like, in less detail:

- Steppenwolf ("The Ostrich" and "Don't Step on the Grass, Sam" are great.)
- KISS
- Steely Dan
- Cream
- AC/DC ("High Voltage" is my favourite album. I have more CDs from them than from any other band.)
- Van Halen
- Heart
- Ozzy Osbourne's solo career (Some truly great music there.)
- Pink Floyd (I have a lot of their music, but nowhere near a complete collection of it.)
- The Who
- The Guess Who
- The Jimi Hendrix Experience
- The Beatles
- John Lennon's solo career
- America
- The Eagles
- Van Morrison
- Aerosmith
- Supertramp
- Billy Idol
- Guns N' Roses (If they count. Our classic rock station plays them.)
- Quiet Riot
- Def Leppard (I've lost all respect for them after the "YEAH!" album though. :cmad:)
- Trooper
- Sweet
- Rush
- The Steve Miller Band
- The Rolling Stones
- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

And that's all I can remember at the moment.

Démon;11805068 said:
and Queen (Bloody shame Freddie's dead. He had one of the best voices in rock, and it's not the same without him.).

Probably my all time favorite band. Too bad I will never get to see them in concert. And I refuse to see Paul Rogers.

I don't have a camcorder. :o:o
lolENOUGH

In this "Classic" Rock thread I want to say, I don't think of it as "Classic" Rock, because there is no "Rock" anymore. I just think of it as "Rock and Roll", then later came some Punk and New Wave, then there was "alternative" (when "alternative" actually was an "alternative" instead of "mainstream") and then truckloads and truckloads of horse S***.

I also want to say, not a huge fan of Lynrd Skynrd, 'cause their music is so Brown, Pale Orange and Gray.......howEVER, I love Saturday Night Special! (except for the lazy sounding solo part), but that chorus is wicked, and I love the lyrics describing all these seedy scenes.............the man reaching for his trousers......the buddies playing poker and the one gets drunk and shoots his own friend for cheating......

THAT is ROCK and ROLL!

Also, all my Kiss CD's were trapped in a storage unit for 6 years.
I just got them back and MAN.

I love the insanity of how you see them and think they're going to be extreme, like a 70's version of Marilyn Manson, but in reality their influences were the BEATLES! haha (and the Stones and Zeppelin).
So there's the fire breathing, armor-clad Demon playing good-time Boogie Woogie music with childish rhymes, lol.:up:

So crazy.

Strutter
Cold Gin
Deuce
100,000 Years

Got To Choose
Parasite
Hotter Than Hell

Two Timer
Ladies In Waiting
Rock Bottom

Sweet Pain
Shout It Out Loud

Calling Dr. Love
Ladies Room
Baby Driver
Love 'Em And Leave 'Em
See You In Your Dreams Tonight

Christine Sixteen
Shock Me
Almost Human
Plaster Caster

Larger Than Life
Rocket Ride

ACE'S Solo Album

Sure Know Something

Is That You?

The Entire Preposterously Epic album "Songs From The Elder"

Saint And Sinner
I Love It Loud
War Machine

Listen to that stuff. That makes you feel GOOD!

Also, Kiss is kind of a joke band that you get into because they're so ridiculous that it's profound.
But musically of course we know that
Led Zeppelin Is The Best Band That Ever Was Or Ever Will Be.

However, Kiss has the best ALBUM COVERS
Whoa!:up:

Probably my all time favorite band. Too bad I will never get to see them in concert. And I refuse to see Paul Rogers.
I finally saw them with Paul Rogers on VH1 and it was even worse than I imagined it would be, which blew my mind.

He was dressed Freddie-ish, and trying to do Freddie-ish gestures of grandeur and, he is just the wrong dude to try and pull that off. :huh:

And to make up for the fact that he has a working man's, solid, respectable voice but definitely not a colorful, explosive soaring orchestral laser voice like Freddie, he just kept doing this hound dog-like O-oo-Oh every 5 or 6 words.

Gawd!

I finally saw them with Paul Rogers on VH1 and it was even worse than I imagined it would be, which blew my mind.

He was dressed Freddie-ish, and trying to do Freddie-ish gestures of grandeur and, he is just the wrong dude to try and pull that off. :huh:

And to make up for the fact that he has a working man's, solid, respectable voice but definitely not a colorful, explosive soaring orchestral laser voice like Freddie, he just kept doing this hound dog-like O-oo-Oh every 5 or 6 words.

Gawd!

:down

It makes my skin crawl. According to Brain May they're actually recording a new album. :dry: If there are songs sung only by Brain or Roger, I might listen. But I will not listen to NEW Queen music sung by Paul Rogers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"