Classics to some, Not to you

Once again, not the greatest. Sure, it's good. Just not good enough to be on the pedestal everyone puts it on.

And Donald Pleasance's speech in Halloween is better.

I love Halloween but Pleasance's speech on the "dark, lifeless eyes and pure evil" is not nearly as compelling, nor is it as lengthy, as the one in Jaws. Also, I found it a bit over the top.

Even so, they're both great. I give the edge to Jaws. This is subjective though.

For me:

Blade Runner: Yes, a landmark in science fiction and futurism. But as a story? Pretentious and downright dull.

Blade Runner..even on the DVD, some of the producers and writers mentioned that the narrative is flawed. Because of that, that's why there's so many different version of it. You can kinda tinker with the plot holes and make new twists and turns.

Batman..Tim Burton's version made me love Batman as a character, when I was a kid. But I can see what you're saying.

I find it interesting that Blade Runner is considered a classic particularly by critics considering that it was a flop when it first came out.

Even cult classics are considered somewhat bad, but if Blade Runner is such a cinematic achievement in film, then why was it a flop in the first place?

From reading one article about sci-fi clicks of 80s I realised that critics and audience expected Blade Runner to be another action adventure comedy similar to Star Wars and Indiana Jones (especially if Ford was involved in it), but instead of that they got a sci-fi action thriller made in noir style (don't count the deleted voice over) with a lot of symbolism stuff, characters' arcs and mind driven tone (not action driven). ALso, don't forget that the Blade Runner that was shown that time was very different from the Blade Runner which is released on DVD now. In fact, there were several versions and all they were different in storytelling, ending and etc.

Ah, yes. I forgot to add this apparent "classic" to my earlier list:

Sandlot.

:wow:

you have GOT to be kidding me. as a childrens movie this movie is as good as it gets buddy, not like the crap they spout out today. its got beautiful character development, hilarious moments, tension, action, DAMN good music, quotes up the ash, and a great plot.

erase the "children's" in front of movie, and this is STILL a CLASSIC

Hear that?

That's all your credibility going out the window!

:hehe:

:thing: :doom: :thing:

Agreed! I liked the original Halloween but no way in hell do I find any of Donald's speeches better than the one Robert Shaw gave.

Also need to add in here...some of you need to do a little research on the term "classic". Some of the choices I've seen are way too recent to be considered classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"