Thespian Extraordiannaire: The Clayface Thread

Invader Joker

Superhero
Reaction score
Clayface Movie From Mike Flanagan Pitched To DC Warner Bros – Deadline

Word is that Flanagan and his Intrepid Pictures partner Trevor Macy had a meeting with DC Bosses James Gunn and Peter Safran. Flangan, we understand, wasn’t pitching the character to be part of Matt Reeves’ DC elseworld, The Batman 2 set for an Oct. 3, 2025 release date.

That said, other sources are telling us that scripts are constantly changing, and that Clayface is a big addition to Matt Reeves’ The Batman 2.

Oh my god yes, please let this happen.

Literally my favorite unused villain

it’s like let’s instead of pulling back the horror elements of this trilogy double down by using the scariest horror villain period

It's interesting because I believe Clayface was mentioned as one of the villains that could get a spinoff in the Reevesverse.

Seems like there's some confusion with the sources as to whether Flanagan is pitching an Elseworlds film or if he pitched a Reevesverse spinoff after the character makes his debut in The Batman: Part II.

Giving Clayface his own movie before he has ever been a villain in the Batman movies is such a Sony SpiderVerse move. I think after Black Adam flopped this will likely not happen.

Clayface wouldn’t require a Black Adam budget, but I think this character works better in a limited series format.

Giving Clayface his own movie before he has ever been a villain in the Batman movies is such a Sony SpiderVerse move. I think after Black Adam flopped this will likely not happen.
It's Mike Flanagan so any concern I would have about this hypothetical movie in that department is totally irrelevant. He's one of the best writers and directors alive. imo.

I think a happy medium can be achieved with Clayface. He doesn't need to be a clay monster but he doesn't need to be a guy in a trench coat and fedora obviously, he can still play up the body horror aspects, I think you need to make him a genuinely talented person though, he should be able fool someone at least for a few minutes.

It's interesting because I believe Clayface was mentioned as one of the villains that could get a spinoff in the Reevesverse.

Seems like there's some confusion with the sources as to whether Flanagan is pitching an Elseworlds film or if he pitched a Reevesverse spinoff after the character makes his debut in The Batman: Part II.

That would seem to make the more sense , as opposed to both filmmakers being interested in adapting separate versions of Clayface at the same time.

Ehhh… someone with Flanagan’s skill already takes this out of Sony territory and I think there are a great many factors that could make this more feasible than Black Adam (modest budget, star who ideally isn’t an egomaniac trying to plot some sort of coup, a core franchise that is better positioned than Shazam to weather a key villain getting the solo treatment).

Wow, Flanagan possibly attached makes this a must-watch. Never thought Clayface would get this kind of respect. Great prospect and I hope it happens.

I didn’t think we would see the day of Clayface hitting the big screen, just the idea excites me to no end!!! Some brand new territory and a different threat for Batman to face that the general audience has yet to see.

My thoughts: Villains such as Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Joker: for the most part regular people with no powers (per say) or superhuman abilities (again, some comics and features have played around with that however). One does wonder as to how Reeves could approach Clayface? Will they go the old golden age route like a serial killer/criminal? Or actually get into superhuman/fantastical things with Clayface being able to shape shift/create things with his abilities?

FOR ME… this would be the PERFECT entry to experiment with superpowers, but ground it in a way to adapt this creatively to this version of The Batman. After some extensive talks with friends, wouldn’t it be a treat to push the boundaries to bring in horror aspects like body horror? Let’s take inspiration from Carpenter’s “The Thing” and make this terrifying; not necessarily R Rated, but pushing the envelope to REALLY disturb people.

We already have had the Zodiac inspired serial killer, I am hoping if this is the baddie that’s been decided it would take a drastically different approach to this next chapter.

FC7E42B2-5AFB-4BE9-912C-9691B81DD81D.jpeg

1DDBB177-3037-41DC-828B-93DDACCAB9D7.jpeg

BF30434E-E156-498E-BDD5-D1245DDB816F.jpeg

I'd be all for a full on Clayface/ clay-monster on screen

but, I get the feeling we'll get more of a False-Face (man in mask) version

A T-1000 (similar) vs Battinson fight scene sounds sick.

And you could retain the detective elements.

I don't really want a stand alone Clayface movie.

I wonder who they could cast for this. It'd be really lame if they just had different actors playing the people he impersonates. With Marino's prosthetics, there's a real opportunity here to cast a really versatile actor with a ton of range and mimicking habilities that with makeup would be able to pass for other people. That narrows down the list significantly since there are not lots of actors that are that versatile.

I wonder who they could cast for this. It'd be really lame if they just had different actors playing the people he impersonates. With Marino's prosthetics, there's a real opportunity here to cast a really versatile actor with a ton of range and mimicking habilities that with makeup would be able to pass for other people. That narrows down the list significantly since there are not lots of actors that are that versatile.
My first thought when the Deadline article dropped was that this presumably means Pattinson will wind up playing Clayface at various points, feels likely to me he'd impersonate the main character at some point. I agree that it would be really interesting to accomplish with prosthetics though.

My first thought when the Deadline article dropped was that this presumably means Pattinson will wind up playing Clayface at various points, feels likely to me he'd impersonate the main character at some point. I agree that it would be really interesting to accomplish with prosthetics though.
I feel they should go for it honestly. I'd even be willing to bet the thing that probably inspired Reeves to even do Clayface is precisely those prosthetics, so it'd be cool to just really try to push it. They just need to cast the right person. It'd feel like a cop out to just use Pattinson or whoever Clayface impersonates.

How about Anthony Ingruber? He's really good at impressions, which I'd reckon will be this Clayface's most important skill and therefore the most important skill of whoever plays him.

There's also this guy that played Red Skull in Infinity War.

How about Anthony Ingruber? He's really good at impressions, which I'd reckon will be this Clayface's most important skill and therefore the most important skill of whoever plays him.

Gordon : "Jeeesus... Look Batman, that could be Clayface!"
Batman: "No. That's just Harisson Ford from 1977."

:o

More seriously, I don't think they're going to bother finding a real impersonator.
This would certainly be an extraordinary performance to achieve, but it seems too complicated to find someone capable of specifically imitating the rest of this particular cast.

Alan Tudyk? Bill Hader? Go back to the source and cast Ron Perlman?

If Clayface is in this, he won’t be made of clay. It will be the golden age version. Although, there is one way you can get away with showing the monster Clayface and that is having him be the film monster played by Basil Karlo.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I would love it if the fantastical villains like Clayface, Man-Bat and Grundy were horror film characters in this universe. It’s not necessary, but it would be a cool Easter egg.

I’m not even sure how Clayface would fit into the story other than to have him as an opening cameo. He’s not exactly a good main villain to use in Act 2 of this sort of story unless there’s a lot of reconstruction to his character. In that case, I’d leave him be. He would be much better for the DCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"