Co-workers who rat on everyone

Immortalfire

The Vectorman
Staff member
Reaction score
This continues my new series of co worker topics :o

Do you or have you worked with someone who is the tattler, the tell-all, the proverbial rat? You cannot trust them with any info, personal or professional, they will blab to the boss for any or no reason. :ebr:

I'm fortunate enough not to to have one (for now), but I have heard stories from many others who have the displeasure of these people. :ninja:

Rats are the lowest of the low. Can’t abide no rats.

A former coworker wasn’t really a rat but followed the rules obsessively. We had a violent storm this summer and he believed we were not allowed to let people leave or enter the store. He actually turned people away after they ran through the rain to get inside. I let customers leave and enter and told him we aren’t kidnappers. He was panicking that I couldn’t do that. Anyway someone told the store manager and she told us we are not allowed to keep people from leaving.

A former coworker wasn’t really a rat but followed the rules obsessively. We had a violent storm this summer and he believed we were not allowed to let people leave or enter the store. He actually turned people away after they ran through the rain to get inside. I let customers leave and enter and told him we aren’t kidnappers. He was panicking that I couldn’t do that. Anyway someone told the store manager and she told us we are not allowed to keep people from leaving.

Yea under no circumstances are we allowed to not let people leave. We're not even allowed to make any attempt to detain shoplifters, in case they turn violent.

If it was a storm, I would let people stay for their safety when I worked in retail. If it was a power outage not caused by a storm, I would have to ask them to leave.

One time at my old job, we had a guy we knew was a liar and were pretty sure he was a thief. One day when he came in to work, our supervisor decided to play a joke on him. He told him the boss wanted him over at his office immediately. When he asked why, supervisor said "I think it has to do with the stuff that went missing last week." Dude turned around, went to his car and got a briefcase out of his trunk, brought it in and slammed it down on the supervisor's desk and said...."OK, let's go....but if I go down everyone in here goes down....I have shirt on everyone." We all just looked at him and then the supervisor said "It was a joke." He started to take his suitcase back out to his car.....and our supervisor said "I will start preparing your letter of transfer to another department.....where do you want to go?"

By the end of the week he was transferred. Never did find out what he thought he had on people to get them in trouble (he never went to the boss with anything).....but we told the people in the department he went to the story....within six months he was fired for stealing stuff over there.

I don't think there's any tell tales in my place of employment, however there are gossipers, and if I'm asked something by them (for clarification) I'll often tell them a different truth or a complete white lie and allow them to spread that.

If it ever comes back to me, which it has, I'll come clean on the quiet to the person asking, but the gossipers know no different. :cool:

People who speak more than necessary fall under the same umbrella, so that’s the vast majority of employees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"