Cobra Kai - (The Karate Kid Spin-Off)

Torrent sites can be your friends.

I personally don't support torrent sites. My degree is in film. I'm working on my own movie(s). I feel like by not supporting other people with my money, when I go to ask people for their money, I become a hypocrite. This is why I don't pirate or torrent.

That said, does YT Red have a history of putting things on Blu Ray/DVD, or are they too new at this to know? I don't have that particular service.

Torrenting is a last option when you don't want to pay for a monthly subscription for one show that gets released weekly. Amazon split the first season of The Tick in half so you had to keep the subscription of Amazon Prime for almost a year. If they release all the episodes at once like NetFlix, I'll splurge and pay the fee for the month. But my gut tells me that they'll pull an Amazon Prime method and either do it weekly or split the episode releases up over the course of a year.

Torrenting is a last option when you don't want to pay for a monthly subscription for one show that gets released weekly. Amazon split the first season of The Tick in half so you had to keep the subscription of Amazon Prime for almost a year. If they release all the episodes at once like NetFlix, I'll splurge and pay the fee for the month. But my gut tells me that they'll pull an Amazon Prime method and either do it weekly or split the episode releases up over the course of a year.

I don't even understand the need for this kind of planning for these things.

I just look at it as me sacrificing one good lunch out (cost-wise) per-month to have all kinds of access to shows past and upcoming.

Has anyone started to watch this yet? It's supposed to be out today and I have a YouTube Red account but I can't find the episodes.

watched part of episode one I LOVE when you pause it a hand wipes the corner of the screen and says WAX ON and wipes again when you unpause and it says WAX OFF :funny:

I binged all 10 episodes today afternoon, loved it and it definitely sets things up for season 2. You will NOT be disappointed.

This was pretty amazing!!

This was very cool too!
[YT]XRgraYjL0XA[/YT]

Just finished bingeing the whole thing. Loved it, will binge again soon.

I had completely forgotten about this series after the initial announcement, so imagine my surprise when I saw the little Cobra Kai logo next to the YouTube one and clicked it.

Holy ****. :funny:

Watched the first two episodes (the freebies) and quite enjoyed them, in spite of some rough edges from the writing, acting and overall tone (seems to veer into near Power Rangers territory a few times), I really had a good time watching them. They've created an interesting set-up with Johnny and Daniel's lives and their chosen students.

I'm undecided about subscribing to YouTube Red, but apparently the first 30 days are free, so maybe...

What's the balance of drama/comedy like? I really loved the trailers, but it does seem a little more of a comedy than the original stuff. Still really amped to see it though.

And any appearance by Kreese? I'd kinda love to see Johnny kinda come around to the light, like at the start of Part II, sort of confront Kreese about what a d*ckbag he was back in the day.

And what about any cool verbal references to Miyagi? Would be really nice seeing Daniel relaying a story or two to some of the kids about his old sensei.

EDIT: Just watched that new-footage video, man that's cool. :) Those three guys really seem to get it, have a handle on this series. Never heard of 'em before, but they seem awesome.

Last edited:
What is YouTube Red? Is it a subscription service?

Is this show something I can watch easily on YouTube or do I have to pay for it?

When in May is it coming?

Yep, Red's a pay service, but apparently the first two episodes are free and the whole series is up already.

What kind of stuff is usually on YouTube Red? Is it general family entertainment or is the stuff very adult? I ask because there are often red band trailers on YouTube like ones for Deadpool which have much more violence, swearing and sex.

Is YouTube Red like that, or is that not connected at all?

I don't know, I don't use it personally either. I'd assume it's just the name of the service though, it probably has nothing to do with red-band trailers. It's not like Cobra Kai is going to be particularly R-rated, for one, so sure they have more family-friendly stuff too.

Watched the first episode, and speaking as a huge Karate Kid fan, it dragged. It just looks and feels cheap, probably because it is. After 15 minutes I was surprised it still had another 15 to go because it just goes by so slow.

What is YouTube Red? Is it a subscription service?

Is this show something I can watch easily on YouTube or do I have to pay for it?

When in May is it coming?

from what I read Red lets you watch anything on YT add free, and you can access it from any device that has it (PC, tablet, etc) and you get free access to their original content like tv shows and movies.

This was pretty amazing!!

This was very cool too!
[YT]XRgraYjL0XA[/YT]

yeah that was awesome I do like how they shot a new bit of him hitting the mat so you could see the CK logo on his back very clever way to show the title card.

Watched the first episode, and speaking as a huge Karate Kid fan, it dragged. It just looks and feels cheap, probably because it is. After 15 minutes I was surprised it still had another 15 to go because it just goes by so slow.

It's only a half hour show? I thought it might be the standard 40-43 minutes.

Just caught the first ep, wow, that was up-and-above expectations. :woot: Loved the convenience store fight with the teen *****ebuckets, and all of this "damn pvssy millenials!" schtick from Johnny is so hilarious and on-point. The 80s music choices are just perfect too.

Almost don't want to watch the second one though, knowing I won't be paying for the Youtube service to catch the rest. Any chance these webshows eventually end up on physical-format home release? I don't even know. Do Netflix & Hulu shows generally become available for purchase in-store way down the line?

Too bad I can't access the other episodes as I live in Canada!

What's the balance of drama/comedy like? I really loved the trailers, but it does seem a little more of a comedy than the original stuff. Still really amped to see it though.

And any appearance by Kreese? I'd kinda love to see Johnny kinda come around to the light, like at the start of Part II, sort of confront Kreese about what a d*ckbag he was back in the day.

And what about any cool verbal references to Miyagi? Would be really nice seeing Daniel relaying a story or two to some of the kids about his old sensei.

EDIT: Just watched that new-footage video, man that's cool. :) Those three guys really seem to get it, have a handle on this series. Never heard of 'em before, but they seem awesome.

There are a LOT of Easter eggs from the original films, although I wouldn't really call them Easter eggs since they're pretty obvious. Lots of references to Myagi, the original Bill Conti score comes back by episode 5, and (don't open the spoiler if you want to watch the entire season):

Kreese comes back in the last episode as a cliffhanger presumably to reclaim the Cobra Kai.

It's getting rave reviews and 100% on RT, 5.4 million views yesterday alone. Season 2 looks more promising to be greenlit.

Ack. :csad: Sounds so perfect.

Getting a little sick of all these half-dozen various streaming services, really don't see justifying subscribing to more than just Netflix personally. But that means you miss out on a bunch of cool stuff exclusive to the others.

That pilot episode had me grinning more than just about any show/movie/anything for a long time, they seem to nail this.

The reviews and fan feedback for this series has been excellent

I'm doing the YouTube Red free trial and plan on watching all the episodes this weekend

Any chance these webshows eventually end up on physical-format home release? I don't even know. Do Netflix & Hulu shows generally become available for purchase in-store way down the line?

I know most of if not all of netflix originals have hit DVD or blu ray like Orange, House of Cards, Stranger things etc. I also know that one of YT Red's movies Lazer Team hit video so I could see this getting a video release in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"