Cobra Kai - (The Karate Kid Spin-Off)

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Fallen Angel, Aug 4, 2017.

1. samsnee Ok

I admit the Daniel/Johnny bonding only to break up each season does get old

2. Sithborg Registered

I think part of the problem is that we didn't get much solo time with Eagle Fang before they went for the team up. The team up sort of forced the writers to make Johnny and Daniel as different as possible. I do think bringing in Silver will help Johnny create his non-toxic Cobra Kai. And they do seem to be leading toward a more broad, there is more than one correct way to do things path.

As for the criticisms toward the rest of his issues, a lot of it is played for laughs at his ignorance. The big scene to showcase it this season was a lot of cringe, and I can already see next season starting off with a lot of cringe.

3. TheWiseGuy487 Feelin’ blue (???) (Undecided/still figuring out)

As far as the show repeating itself complaints, I never really got that sense. The basic blueprints and archetypes were admittedly similar for all the seasons, but they always tried different things and situations with the stories and characters. It was never simply an exact copy and paste situation.

As for the Johnny/Daniel relationship/rivalry, there were different reasons for why they came to blows each season. In the first season, it was basically the rivalry between them starting their dojo’s back up and trying to one up the other, though there is a bit of a soft acknowledgment between the two at end. In the second season, it was mainly Kreese coming into the Cobra Kai fold and fueling Daniel’s suspicions against Johnny and the push and pull with Robby between the two father figures, which leads to some devastating consequences in the finale that causes a temporary rift. Season 3 mainly deals with the fallout of the previous season and everyone, especially Daniel and Johnny, trying to work through some stuff, though they realize they need to set aside their differences and come together to take down their mutual enemy in Kreese at the end.

This season, though showed it’s not just enough for them to come together. They really have to work through their philosophical differences to truly be a team, and realize that there is merit to both schools of thought in Miyagi-Do and Eagle Fang, that they are incomplete without the other, and that everyone has their own way of fighting; there is no wrong way. Most importantly, and this is something that’s been a long time coming, with Daniel, in regards to raising Anthony and his way of thinking with Miyagi-Do, there are gaps, shortcomings and a few demons he realizes he finally needs to address.

It’s not like these are new developments, either. The seeds have been there since the beginning of the show. It’s not the show repeating itself. It’s the characters caught in similar cycles and loops because they get in their own way due to baggage they don’t want to confront or don’t want to admit their own failings. However, with Silver, proclaimed by Daniel to be a serious threat (“You don’t strike first with this guy!”), now unavoidably pressing down on them, they now have no choice but to really deal with their own s**t head on first if they have any chance of beating him. By the end of this season, with Johnny and Daniel truly working through pretty much all of their s**t, I think the show is finally putting the kibosh on the ongoing rivalry and making Silver and his machinations the true obstacle they all need to face going forward.

With Johnny supposedly being kind of problematic, I think what separates all of the stuff with him from others who do this in other media is that, like you said, the humor is always at his expense, not the people he’s talking or trying to relate to (the few bits of fat shaming is admittedly kind of awful, though, and I hope they eventually do move past that). The show’s established he’s not as knowledgeable about the modern world and a bit slow on the uptake. Throughout the series, you can see that he’s really trying to be better, and he gradually does over time. It really helps that one of the main cruxes of the show is him taking Miguel, someone of a different race than him, and never calls him out or judges him for it. He just sees him as a troubled kid in need of help and a father figure.

(If he were aggressively malicious in any way at all, then that would be an entirely different story.)

#1028 TheWiseGuy487, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    titansupes likes this.
  4. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

The problem I have with the cringe argument, is Johnny's ignorance isn't called out or shown as an issue. Or that the ignorance comes from a really crappy place. He just continues to be sexist, homophobic, etc. and it sort of just like, "that's drunk uncle Johnny! Isn't he funny! Also he's right, we should just punch people in the face!" There is no room placed between that stuff and his hilarious computer issues. They sell it all as harmless fun.

#1029 DarthSkywalker, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  5. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

So your argument is the show is repetitive, but not 100% 1 for 1, so it doesn't count as repetitive? This isn't season 2. The show has had 40 episodes. If they are still repeating the basic story ideas and structure from the first season, that's a procedural. They do the same thing every season, just with a game of musical chairs with dojo names and who sits where.

Also on that Johnny and Miguel bit. Yeah, that's a trope for racists. They are cool with the people of color when are "their" people of color. It's the same with how Johnny talks to and about women. He's dating Miguel's mom, so he's kind and considerate. He's not like that in general, and that's classic bigoted behavior. We just saw this exact situation with Dave Chappelle. He claimed his relationship with one trans person, meant he was not transphobic. That's not how it works.

Also, dude has a homophobic nickname for a child.

6. kguillou Registered

@DarthSkywalker I hear your complaints about Johnny and i feel you but at the same time his rough-around-the edges demeanor I'd argue is what we like about his character and why we root for him to be better. He has most DEFINITELY evolved since season 1. He was a royal borderline racist a**hole in season one but you can clearly see his relationship with Miguel has softened him up and opened up his heart...but yes he is still a thick skulled lunkhead that thinks with his fists.

But again, I think thats what we like about him. He's essentially the Vegeta to Danny Laruso's Goku. He's the badass. Laruso is the pacifist. Their differing ideologies are what the core of this show is about and season 4 is starting to lean into the notion that both of them are stuck in their ways and its perhaps time to start learning from one another.

7. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Guys, guys. Can we all just come together and agree that Terry should have murdered Raymond?

8. Dr. Evil Registered

Yes.

Wasn't Paul Walter Hauser supposed to be the next big thing at one point?

Deck Rickard likes this.
  9. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Yeah, he lucked out and had a few roles in some prominent projects. I don’t know why, though. Dude comes off like an annoying buffoon in everything and is typically the worst part of anything he’s in.

Dark Raven likes this.
  10. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

Man I loved season 4. This show never gets old for me (though I agree they repeat the same rivalries but with different people). I’m ready for Mike Barnes!

11. Sithborg Registered

Not all opinions are valid. The discussion here, with TERFs, is of a person's existence. Chappelle has stated he is on team TERF. So there really should be not issue with calling him a bigot, a title he seems proud of.

As for Darth, its fine that he isn't okay with Johnny's modern day Archie Bunker schtick. Everyone has different views and tastes. I enjoy Johnny, even with his issues, because it seems clear that the show is attempting to show that he is as much a victim of the toxic masculinity of his "father" figures of Kreese and Cid. If people don't like, that's fine. And Darth has stated pretty clearly why. And I am fairly certain Johnny's opening stuff in Season 5 will not help in that regard.

Deck Rickard and TheWiseGuy487 like this.
  12. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Terry Silver adds a new dimension. :D

flickchick85 likes this.
  13. Milkman95 Movie Extra & Actor

Yes sir!! Danny Boy is going to crap his pants when he sees Barnes is back with Terry!

Not everything needs to be connected, but I wouldn't doubt he's Tory's estranged Dad like I stated a page or two back.

14. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Does Barnes need to be Tory’s dad? I don’t know, I feel like that’s kinda reaching too much just to create yet another personal tie. I’d rather he was just some down-on-his-luck A-hole that Silver pulls out of the gutter and taps into his inner psycho again.

Lencho01 and TheWiseGuy487 like this.
  15. GREEN =w= DAY Registered

True

Then they should get this guy:
    [​IMG]

Tuco as Miguel’s dad :funny:

16. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Only if he beats Johnny to death in a junkyard for no apparent reason. :o

KaijuDude1992 and TheWiseGuy487 like this.
  17. Milkman95 Movie Extra & Actor

Agreed, it is reaching - Johnny was pulled out of the gutter for the most part, so maybe Barnes and Johnny are mirror images of each other at this time in their lives?

Deck Rickard likes this.
  18. TheWiseGuy487 Feelin’ blue (???) (Undecided/still figuring out)

Now, that’s more like it.

He was mentioned to be a real bad dude, and this actor can definitely play someone intimidating and crazy, even to someone like Johnny.

KaijuDude1992 and Deck Rickard like this.
  19. Dave McFly Sexy bad ass!

the Daniel/Johnny fight was great loved when they knocked each other out:funny:

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  20. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Good to see that cocaine was a factor, at least. :hehe:

Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  21. DarkKnight88 Registered

New season was great! And agreed it was a step up from last one.

The MVP of this series continues to be Johnny (and Miguel) but Terry Silva was pretty wonderful. Hard to believe this made me want to go back and revisit the POS that is Karate Kid III lol

22. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

I think I’ve only seen the first movie. I don’t remember watching Part 2 or 3 though I’ve seen clips on YouTube over the years.

Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  23. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

Definitely try to watch Part 2 when you get a chance. Very good sequel in its own right.

24. TheWiseGuy487 Feelin’ blue (???) (Undecided/still figuring out)

Considering Johnny and Daniel have officially made up and will eventually join their dojo’s together, what do you guys think their new gi’s and their new logo would look like?

In my head, I’m picturing red and white faded into each other, symbolizing them setting aside their differences and mixing their styles together (red being aggressive offense, white being patient defense). The logo would be an eagle with its wings spread out while resting on a bonsai tree, both in front of a sun. The eagle and bonsai tree represent Johnny and Daniel respectively, and the sun represents Mr. Miyagi, who in spirit brought the two of them together.

In some ways, I actually like it more and think it’s better than the first, pretty much just for having the characters go to Japan and us getting to learn more about Mr Miyagi and where he comes from.

Though, in retrospect, the broken English has not aged well. If there was one thing I would have done differently, especially with the first film, it would’ve been to have Japanese characters speak to each other in their native language, with English subtitles for our benefit, and speak English as normal as possible in regular conversations. Having all of them speak really broken is kind of insensitive (I know, relic of the 80’s and people not being as woke, but still).

25. DarkKnight88 Registered

Try to get an 80s audience to read subtitles for half their mainstream film lol

Hell, people complained now when Shang-Chi did it. Reading is hard lol