Cobra Kai - (The Karate Kid Spin-Off)

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Fallen Angel, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Great to see Johnny, Daniel, Kreese and Silver back at it again. This show is cheesy as hell, but enjoyable nonetheless.

As much as I like Daniel San, Johnny is the MVP with his 80s slang and utter ignorance of modern day nonsense.

What I love about this show most of all is that while it's Karate is pretty average, the instructors - with their egos and issues and bull**** - that's real.

Of course not all Karate Sensei are like that, most are really nice, but I've met guys who have the same attitudes as Kreese and Silver ( well back in the Karate Kid III, at the end of season 4 Silver just goes OTT evil) but also Johnny ( kind of disconnected from the world - and tons of Karate guys I know are divorced ) and Daniel ( guys with unrealistic ideals ).

They're all flawed and each of their perspectives has merit.

2. Mjolnir Reborn Blunt Instrument

I've been busy so I'm late on the ball with season 4. I've finally gotten through it though and the show does get better and better. I really enjoyed this season and even when I thought some things were written as too clear telegraphs for what would happen, like during the tournament, the show still used those moment to introduce another thing relating to that afterwards, which made it clear that they fully knew what they were doing.

The kid cast is clearly improving on their acting all the time as well, and some are getting pretty good at karate. I was extra glad to see Eli get the chance to be champ since that actor seems to be taking martial arts pretty seriously. He's the one that overall makes things look the best. In general the show isn't exactly top notch when it comes to the fighting, but it's about the drama anyway.

Terry Silver is a great villain and I'm really looking forward to the next season with him being in charge and hopefully bringing in Mike Barnes, who should be the best fighter of that generation. Barnes felt like what Johnny would have been if he stuck with Cobra Kai and didn't lose is confidence and quit (as Johnny always looked much better than Daniel) so that's a good note they can use to further play on for Johnny, whom I'll always feel is the best character on the show.

3. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

I don't have time to binge these shows so I only finished a couple of days ago myself. I love this show. Can it be silly and soap opera-y? Sure. But I'm really invested into these characters. Silver was always portrayed as being more insane than Kreese in Part III, and that came out again by the end here.

I'm not really too into this whole Miguel/father drama, but Lawrence is the best character in the show so hopefully they make something out of it.

4. Tcmjuk87 Registered

So who is left in terms of old flames to make an appearance?

Mike Barnes
    Dutch
    Jessica Andrews

And then whether or not they can convince Hilary Swank to make an appearance...

5. DarkKnight88 Registered

I don’t think anyone cares about Jessica returning lol.

Walter Goggins who was in Next Karate Kid could be fun. Not because of his forgotten character but because he’s Walter Goggins.

6. Dave McFly Sexy bad ass!

I just read that the headband Daniel is wearing in CK is the exact one used in the KK films he held on to it for over 30 years nice.

Kahran Ramsus and Deck Rickard like this.
  7. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Jessica returning would be so unnecessary. It would be one thing if she and Daniel had a meaningful relationship but they kept things platonic and I think she leaves halfway through the movie if I remember right. So adding her into the mix would just be a desperate case of “Oh, wait let’s bring back THIS character too!” There’s no need for it.

The only way I would want Robin Lively to come back is if she plays her character from Teen Witch instead of Jessica.

Kahran Ramsus likes this.
  8. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Jessica left right before the final act if I remember correctly. She was definitely still around when Daniel got into a fight and became disillusioned with Cobra Kai and went back to Miyagi. I think the only things that happen after she leaves is the fight in the Cobra Kai Dojo where Miyagi clobbers all three villains by himself, Miyagi agreeing to train Daniel for the tournament, a bit with them replanting the tree (which was a stupid subplot to begin with), and the final fight.

But yes, not exactly a memorable character.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  9. Milkman95 Movie Extra & Actor

I agree, they pretty much let it be known that Barnes is coming back, would like to see Dutch again, hopefully he gets out of prison, and maybe the first guy he met when he got out there, Freddy. Jessica would be a throw away, and would just be a cameo, it at all.

Swank, and possibly some other Cobra Kai's would be it - unless Chozen brings his buddies with him as well.

10. Mjolnir Reborn Blunt Instrument

I don't see anyone else from the past really having much of an impact for me, other than Mike Barnes who would be an awesome addition to Terry's Cobra Kai. There are more than enough good characters around now.

Kahran Ramsus and Erik20 like this.
  11. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

I just rewatched the final fight between Daniel and Barnes. Yeesh that was some bad fight choreography lol.

#1061 Deck Rickard, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  12. Erik20 Registered

Yeah I feel the same way. Only hardcore Karate Kid fans will know any of the other characters left who they could bring back. (Besides Swank maybe) Terry Silver turned out great, but I had never heard of him. You don't want this to turn into Halloween Kills.

13. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Silver was a bit different in that he was almost universally agreed upon to be the best part and main redeeming feature of the third film, and even in the first season his impact was felt (he was the main reason Cobra Kai was banned from the All-Valley). After Daniel, Lawrence, and Kreese, he was probably the most obvious character to return.

14. Frodo Registered

I'd love Esai Morales to play Miguel's father, but that role has no doubt already been cast, filmed, and in the can at this point.

It'd be fitting given that he came up the same time as Ralph Macchio, and was apart of another popular 80s film La Bamba

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deck Rickard and Iceman like this.
  15. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Nice, didn’t know that. I thought the guy was great in Titans and could also picture him as Miguel’s dad.

Frodo likes this.
  16. Frodo Registered

I haven't him in Titans yet, but if you haven't seen it, I would definitely recommend renting the film La Bamba.

It's a biopic about the brief life of 1950s rock star Richie Valens , and Morales plays Richie's estranged brother.

That's where I first saw him .

Deck Rickard and Iceman like this.
  17. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Thanks, I haven’t seen it. Sounds very interesting too. :up:

Frodo likes this.
  18. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Also check out Ozark. He’s scary as hell on that show.

Frodo likes this.
  19. Pennywise Registered

20. Drizzle Penguin Silvia

I'm assuming they're going to try and crank out season 5 in time for New Years like with the previous two seasons? I can't imagine it takes long to film.

21. DarkKnight88 Registered

Correct me if I’m wrong but they are already finished shooting Season 5. So at this point they have a full year for post (and probably shooting Season 6) so New Years is probably guaranteed. Maybe earlier but it seems that’s the tradition now.

22. Dr. Evil Registered

It's not like Hilary is against TV or streaming. Several of her last few projects were on streaming, one of them a short lived Netflix series in which she played an Astronaut and married to Josh Charles. So she would not be an impossible get.

23. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

24. GREEN =w= DAY Registered

YES!!!! Coming out earlier than I anticipated

25. KaijuDude1992 Registered

The best news I have heard all day and I'm glad we only have to wait 4 months. I definitely didn't expect a trailer this early or for it to come out this soon, but I ain't complaining.

DarthSkywalker and Dark Raven like this.