Colin Trevorrow Is Episode IX's Director

I read Francis Lawrence and thought "Who's that? Lawrence Kasdan's son? No wait, that doesn't make sense.." :O

Let's also not forget that Irvin Kershner was an aging journeyman when he got hired to direct Empire. I'm sure these movies are heavily story boarded even before a director is hired.

Like JW was. And the idea is for the director to have a final say and/or initial influence on those storyboards, otherwise we're talking studio movie. Again, JW.

It might've been a "no way in hell" pick but I would've loved to see Edgar Wright take on Episode 9 in terms of reliability and making for a unique IX. JW was good and accomplished its goals but it does feel like a missed opportunity

I don't see Edgar Wright being able to fit into the style of pre-established work. His style is just too out-there. Maybe in a spin-off that's more self-contained.

People - Jacob Tremblay in Star Wars: Episode IX? Actor Says He Lobbied Director for a Part

Will Jacob Tremblay be bringing his charm to a galaxy far, far away?

The 9-year-old actor is a huge Star Wars fan: He named his new puppy Rey (after Daisy Ridley's character in The Force Awakens), keeps his Critics' Choice Awards next to his Millennium Falcon, and even had a lightsaber battle at the Golden Globes.

So, working with Colin Trevorrow, the director of Star Wars: Episode IX, on The Book of Henry, gave him an opportunity to ask a very important question: Can he be in Star Wars?

"I asked if I could be a Baby Ewok, Baby Chewbacca, [or] a flashback of someone," Tremblay told PEOPLE at an event in New York.

And here's hoping Tremblay gets his wish: "He [Trevorrow] said that he'll try to get me a part."

http://www.people.com/article/jacob-tremblay-star-wars-epiosde-ix-hersheys-chocolate-world

Irish Independent - Daisy Ridley and Star Wars crew descend on Donegal pub for sing song following filming

Owner Hugh Farren has painted a huge mural on the bar's gable wall of Yoda to celebrate the arrival of the production.

Speaking to the BBC, he said rumours began to intensify that someone was going to stop by on Sunday night, before Skywalker arrived.

"I was like a four year old on Christmas morning,"he said. "For the past 48 hours there has been a complete buzz around the area."

All that remains in the area is crew dismantling the set and restoring the area to its original condition.

Hugh said there were rumours that filming would return for the next film - episode nine - later in the year.

http://m.independent.ie/entertainme...for-sing-song-following-filming-34719036.html

MTV - STAR WARS: EPISODE IX WILL BE THE DEATH OF DIRECTOR COLIN TREVORROW
THE DIRECTOR SAYS THERE WILL BE ‘NOTHING LEFT’ OF HIM AFTER EPISODE 9

http://www.mtv.com/news/2998550/star-wars-episode-9-update-colin-trevorrow/

When MTV's Josh Horowitz caught up with Trevorrow at CinemaCon on Wednesday (March 29), the director confirmed that there's a draft of the Episode IX script and that he and the Star Wars team are "throwing 110 percent of our souls into it." He added: "There will be nothing left of me when I'm done."

As for how the director is approaching the ninth film in the Skywalker saga, Trevorrow said he's thinking about Episode IX "in the context of three films, six films, nine films, and one film. It's a lot."

Colin Trevorrow said:
[Leia] was a major character, that’s not a secret. She really was. And it was extremely sad for all of us, mostly just because she was so loved by the Star Wars family and everyone that worked with her. I feel like our options are limited mostly by ourselves, in that there [are] only certain things that we are willing to do. But I can guarantee it will be handled with love and respect, and all of the soul that Carrie Fisher deserves.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/166...bout-making-star-wars-9-without-carrie-fisher

Colin Trevorrow said:
The process of Star Wars began way back in August of 2015 when I looked at what J.J. and Rian had done and I’m very fortunate that I’m surrounded by some really, really brilliant producers and brilliant creative minds – Kiri Hart and the Lucasfilm story group and my producer [Michelle] Rejwan and Kathy Kennedy and also J.J. and Rian, Larry Kasdan. I mean, these are the best minds available and everybody’s engaged in making sure this is the most satisfying and emotionally resonant conclusion that we can possibly deliver.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-sequel-trilogy-end/

Colin Trevorrow said:
I think having to force myself to confront my own fears as a parent, and really dig into places that I may otherwise not want to dig into and want to look away from. It’s where I have to go with [Star Wars] for it to be as emotionally resonate as it has to be. I have to find something deeply personal for myself in what I’m about to do or else it’s just going to feel shallow.
Colin Trevorrow said:
It’s how it was with us [growing up]. Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia were all characters that we were able to identify with in various ways, and especially with the character of Rey and what she means to young girls right now, and the challenges that she’s up against. It is extremely crucial that I understand what actual children are feeling about these stories that we’re telling them, and I think it’s important that I have kids, and if filmmakers don’t have kids, they should go talk to them because they don’t see things the same way that we did when we were kids. So, yes, I am very dialed in to that because I think it’s a requisite of the job.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-episode-9-director-provides-another-brief-update/

Q: Carrie Fisher passed away last year and I know that she was gonna be - her character Princess Leia was gonna be a big focus of Star Wars [Episode] IX. You as the writer - how much of the film had you had written when she unfortunately passed away and how did that change your - how have you changed the direction of the film because of that?
Colin Trevorrow: I can't do [say] too many specifics, but she was really where I began when I started thinking what this story was gonna be. It was about her in a lot of ways. Obviously you know Rey is the hero and that is the character who we're tracking through these films but each one of them has had a character from the earlier trilogy who has really been the key stone of the film and she was going to be. It was very tragic and very sad for all of us beyond just the fact we lost somebody that we all love. And it's my responsibility to find a way to honor her and keep her soul and her presence in the film without Carrie. It's very sad.

Q: Will the ninth episode kind of wrap up that trilogy or will it lead us into...
Colin Trevorrow: Yes. The ninth episode will wrap up that trilogy.

Last edited:
I agree with him about the kids thing. If you're going to write dialogue or direct younger people you do need to get some insight on their thoughts about certain things.

Colin Trevorrow: [The Book of Henry] is a big story and it's an important story to tell. I think that for me to be able to do something that has this level of raw emotion as a family drama headed into the biggest family drama that we know which also has its own raw emotion I think that movies like this and Star Wars are the only films where a character can yell, 'Noooo!' and like you buy it. And you believe in it and it's earned.

(Star Wars talk for a bit at 19m20s)

The Morning Journal - Director Colin Trevorrow talks ‘Star Wars,’ ‘Jurassic World’ and new film ‘The Book of Henry’

Q I know you’re still in the middle of promoting this movie, I know there’s still Episode Eight — “The Last Jedi” — to come out. But I know you’ve got to be thinking about Episode Nine. That seems like a daunting task. What is your mindset now, even though you’re not fully into it yet?

A I’m pretty into it. I took a little break to come out here and sell this film.

We’re all going to see Rian’s film this year, and it’s his year and it’s his moment, so there’s not much for me to say about it other than the group that I’m surrounded by that’s working on this .... and everybody who’s thinking about this cares so much about what we’re going. We’re so invested in telling a story that is going to be deeply, richly satisfying for people who have loved this for 40 years.

A great deal of love and care is being put into this right now.

Q In the recent Vanity Fair “Star Wars” cover story, Kathleen Kennedy allowed that Carrie Fisher’s unfortunate death did change what you guys were going to do story-wise, and I wondered if you could talk about the work that has gone into trying to adapt what you had planned.

A Not in too many specifics, but (Fisher) was a big part of the film. And I like that Kathy was comfortable with us saying that because I think it is important, first of all, for the fans to trust us and for them to know that was our intention. And when I came in on this movie, that was the character I wanted to focus on. So it was deeply sad for all of us — it was especially sad for me, because finally General Leia was going to have her movie. And yet I can assure you that not only will it be handled with great respect, but the movie will have her soul.

Q I know you can’t give away any secrets, but can you characterize the amount of secret information that is in your head right now, “Star Wars”-wise, as far as “The Last Jedi,” your movie and even what LucasFilm has in store beyond that?

A I’m not as dialed into what’s in store beyond. But, yes, everything that happens in both of (the coming movies).

I’ve become an excellent question dodger.

http://www.morningjournal.com/article/MJ/20170609/FEATURES/170609421

This does not make me happy, but I highly doubt they will get rid of him. Trank was trashed because of his substance abuse. So I doubt they will get rid of him. I still love one of Colin's films, JW I see like Godzilla just a big meh. So Colin is in the Gareth Edwards zone for me right now. I wish they would have gotten someone else, but I trust Kathy to make sure it's a great film.

Reading some of this stuff above it sounds like he keeps bringing up JJ, Rian and Kiri Hart. I have a sneaking suspicion that the LFL Story group and Kathy are keeping hard tabs on him after the Rogue One debacle, and making sure it's a good script. Because this script for Book of Henry sounds like a mess and I don't know what he was doing the tonal shifts.

It would be nice to get someone else but I doubt they will do it because of a RT score. But I guess I will just have to place my faith in Kathy again, not really Colin.

Let Kathy direct. :0

Kathy didn't make sure Rogue One was a great movie, and that is because she hired mediocre talent. TFA worked because of the creative. TLJ has my confidence for the same reason. Rogue One had Edwards and some crap writers, and it showed. Colin is proving himself not to be of the level necessary for this. If Kathy goes with him and he ****s this up, its all on her. And considering we know this guy isn't on the level of what came before him, that is a really stupid mistake to make.

What we have here is an attempt to reassure they can baby him, which is the last thing they need. They all going to be on set, making the movie for him? Rewriting everything he wrote as well? Then why should he be there? This is Episode IX not an anthology, and we got a guy proving he isn't all that good of a filmmaker.

Last edited:
Oh yeah it did show with Rogue One, and it is on her if he fails. But I would say it's also her leadership and decisions that saved Rogue One from being a bad film. Yeah she never should have hired Edwards, but they still saved it.

But I can't say she's responsible if it sucks, but can't take credit if it succeeds. She will be responsible either way the film goes. But in the future, I hope she is more cautious of who she brings in. Because it will suck if they have to baby him and do what they did with R1.

I agree I'm not happy with this and I wish they would have gotten someone else from the get go. Him and Edwards had me nervous. But there is nothing I can do about it, so I hope for the best. Guess time will tell. But yeah they should have gotten someone else I'm not denying that.

I could hope for the best, or simply be honest about how I feel. I thought this was a bad idea when it was announced, it is simply looking like a worse idea as the days go on. Kathy's job is to put good creative in a situation to succeed. She is failing by hiring Colin in the first place. How hands on did they need to be with JJ or Rian?

I'm being both. I don't feel good about Colin. That's how I feel too, but I'm hoping for the best. But these cinematic universes sometimes have the positive of having the safety nets of the story groups and re-shoots like what happened with Rogue One. Do I want it to even happen that way? No of course not, it very well could be a failure that she hired him even in the long run. I will bet they did not have to be on hands at all with JJ or Rian. I have a feeling though again after that ordeal, the story-group will be heavily involved from the get-go to ensure quality so no heavy re-shoots would have to be done like the mistake they made with Rogue One.

I'm with ya, I don't feel good about Colin. I wish it would have been something more like Rian or JJ, or Lord/Miller. And not another Edwards situation. That would be best, but I just don't think they will get rid of him. But the optimist in me just like with Rogue One will hope for the best, and hopefully it will turn out good. And I want it to be superb because yes this is mainline film.

But I still gotta get through TLJ before I can fully wrap my head around this I guess.

But Rogue One wasn't a great movie. That is the thing. It could have been. They hired the wrong guy and the movie suffered for it. They even figured out a way to make the first blah Star Wars score with their ridiculous scheduling do to trying to save the movie from being a potential big problem.

They have 2 years. They can fix it. Lets see if they actually do what is right, or if they decide to gamble for no reason whatsoever. And remember, they let him write it as well.

How full is Christopher McQuarrie's dance card? With the work he did on Rogue One I wonder if he couldn't be persuaded to come back in a...larger role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"