Comics Collector Mentality

Themanofbat

Never Mind the Buttocks...
Reaction score
So. With the potential return to the original ASM numbering, my collector mentality is cringing inside and making me wanna pick up the books (along with the in between issues I've missed)

I hate this about myself.

I stopped buying comics in 2015.

Anyone else in here feeling the same itch?
Or is it just me?

:csad:

I quit collecting comics, specifically ASM, about 10 years ago, but I've kept an eye on the title in all this time... I lost that itch YEARS ago and I feel good for it... and ESPECIALLY with the stories and on occasion, the art, my wallet thanks me... for those alone, Marvel no longer deserves my money for some of the subpar s**t they come out with today...

I have NO intention of restarting, but I'm in that group that believes that the original numbering should have continued with Volume One and not cater to having a new volume numbering and a new #1, with that same old tagline of "NEW and DIFFERENT", when it's really the same old same old, that comes out every couple of years it seems like...

Marvel NOW should have been renamed Marvel what NOW? or Marvel NOW WHAT?!?

I can feel it too. But I won't break the bank to do so. I actually collect all Spider-Man titles, but all my shopping takes place in the dollar bins of shows and cons. It's how a majority of my collection has been build. I've been around long enough to know most books will end up in that dollar bin. The only stuff I shell out money for is the actually rare stuff. I also shop deals on Ebay occasionally. I recently got a huge chunk of Paul Jenkins run on Peter Parker Spider-Man for 12 bucks shipped. It was about 20 issues, all in great condition. So I do hope to have every issue of every major spidey book, but only at the right price.

Will they be including the Superior Spider-Man in the numbering?
I don't think they should as it has a different title...
The only reason I ask is because of the fiasco that is Venom's renumbering.

So. With the potential return to the original ASM numbering, my collector mentality is cringing inside and making me wanna pick up the books (along with the in between issues I've missed)

I hate this about myself.

I stopped buying comics in 2015.

Anyone else in here feeling the same itch?
Or is it just me?

:csad:

As a collector myself I certainly understand 'the itch.' However, I've not been subscribed to nor felt the desire to collect all the issues. The dropoff in quality, especially the past couple of years, with the main title in Spider-Man is part of the reason. I don't see the need to spend my hard earned money on the drab stories that often see some of my favorite characters dragged thru the mud. I do buy certain issues though, often because of the excellent cover art.

I quit collecting comics, specifically ASM, about 10 years ago, but I've kept an eye on the title in all this time... I lost that itch YEARS ago and I feel good for it... and ESPECIALLY with the stories and on occasion, the art, my wallet thanks me... for those alone, Marvel no longer deserves my money for some of the subpar s**t they come out with today...

I have NO intention of restarting, but I'm in that group that believes that the original numbering should have continued with Volume One and not cater to having a new volume numbering and a new #1, with that same old tagline of "NEW and DIFFERENT", when it's really the same old same old, that comes out every couple of years it seems like...

Marvel NOW should have been renamed Marvel what NOW? or Marvel NOW WHAT?!?

Preach.

I know I've mentioned this to you before, but, Marvel Now's Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows is an excellent book and I highly recommend it. It's an alternate universe title, which is off-putting to some. However if you are a fan that wants that old-style Peter feel but set in modern times with great writing and art, well, imo you'd be doing yourself a disservice by at least not checking it out.

I'm getting back into collecting, but I have no desire to pick up the issues I didn't get. Infact, I am steering clear of ASM currently. I did go into my local LCS yesterday and set up a pull list. I am getting Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider and Venom.

Hey UltimateWebhead, I just noticed you are from Phoenix. Cool to see a fellow Arizonian on here. Have you been to Fantastic Worlds in Scottsdale?

I'm getting back into collecting, but I have no desire to pick up the issues I didn't get. Infact, I am steering clear of ASM currently. I did go into my local LCS yesterday and set up a pull list. I am getting Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider and Venom.

Hey UltimateWebhead, I just noticed you are from Phoenix. Cool to see a fellow Arizonian on here. Have you been to Fantastic Worlds in Scottsdale?

Hey. Yup, glad to see another Arizonian on here...the only other I know of is Spidey_62. I've been to most of the comic shops in central AZ but I've not been to Fantastic Worlds. Is it a good shop? I'm guessing it must be since you have brought it up :cwink:

It is pretty cool. Good selection of stuff, especially considering they are still pretty new. I think it is a little family run place with only 3 people on staff. It is pretty much right around the corner from me, so another bonus for me.

It is pretty cool. Good selection of stuff, especially considering they are still pretty new. I think it is a little family run place with only 3 people on staff. It is pretty much right around the corner from me, so another bonus for me.

Ah cool. I'll have to check it out whenever I'm in that part of town.

Honestly, I lost my collector mentality after One More Day. After that, I didn't care. I finally started picking up an arc here or there around the time that Lee Weeks returned for a short arc with Roger Stern. I enjoyed Big Time, Matters of Life and Death, and some of the subsequent arcs. Spider-Island was big fun, and then "Ends of the Earth" started the downturn for me. I started to be indifferent towards the book. Alpha, I don't think I read past his first appearance until Dying Wish, then I read Superior like an obsession!!

Then Peter came back.

I wanted him back, but he's not Spider-man to me, anymore. I really enjoyed Slott's work. He had such a knack for continuity and nods to fans, and then something happened. I think he's a great guy, and an amazing writer, but I think he lost touch of who Spider-Man is to the fans.

Not insulting the guy at all, mind you!! I just think the time has come for him to pass the torch. I want to see more personal Peter Parker and Spider-Man stories. Remember "The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man"? How would globe-trotting Peter Parker be able to handle that? He couldn't.

No, my collector mentality faded away when I realized I would be buying books I didn't enjoy, which means giving money to the company and telling them I'll buy them all, no matter how bad they get.

I vote with my wallet, and I always will.

I will NOT fault anyone who buys the books, however. I know some guys have the ENTIRE ASM run. Even I wouldn't be able to stop, at this point!

Nice, shinlyle. Perfectly encapsulates a lot of my feelings, and I'm sure many others as well.

Honestly, I lost my collector mentality after One More Day. After that, I didn't care. I finally started picking up an arc here or there around the time that Lee Weeks returned for a short arc with Roger Stern. I enjoyed Big Time, Matters of Life and Death, and some of the subsequent arcs. Spider-Island was big fun, and then "Ends of the Earth" started the downturn for me. I started to be indifferent towards the book. Alpha, I don't think I read past his first appearance until Dying Wish, then I read Superior like an obsession!!

Then Peter came back.

I wanted him back, but he's not Spider-man to me, anymore. I really enjoyed Slott's work. He had such a knack for continuity and nods to fans, and then something happened. I think he's a great guy, and an amazing writer, but I think he lost touch of who Spider-Man is to the fans.

Not insulting the guy at all, mind you!! I just think the time has come for him to pass the torch. I want to see more personal Peter Parker and Spider-Man stories. Remember "The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man"? How would globe-trotting Peter Parker be able to handle that? He couldn't.

No, my collector mentality faded away when I realized I would be buying books I didn't enjoy, which means giving money to the company and telling them I'll buy them all, no matter how bad they get.

I vote with my wallet, and I always will.

I will NOT fault anyone who buys the books, however. I know some guys have the ENTIRE ASM run. Even I wouldn't be able to stop, at this point!

Aloha,
Great comment my man.Here's the thing. Along with being a Spidey collector I was also a stock holder in Marvel, both in the 90s' up to the time they filed bankruptcy as well in the 00' up to the time that they went to Disney. As a stock holder I voted yes because I've always felt that ultimately comics are best represented in animation and Disney is one of the kings.Now the reason I talk about being a stock holder is so I can say to all that neither Slott nor any other writer, tells Marvel what they are going to write about. They pitch ideas to Marvel and ONLY if it falls in line with what Marvel wants do they get the green light. Now in my case, I need #1 and AF#15 to have it all so no way am I stopping. As a collector, the rule of thumb is getting it for the cheapest price possible. Marvel subscription is the way to go for best price.Problem is sometimes you don't get your books in NM condition due to postal handling. The one thing I want to say to all fans is this. As much as I agree with the need to have continuity, when you can no longer enjoy a comic book for the simple pleasure of reading it- it's time to move on.The classic Marvel No-Prize was invented in the 1960's as a way of rewarding fans who caught the continuity errors.The main reason I stopped coming to these boards was not because I ever stopped reading Spidey, it was because nerdism was sucking the joy out of reading a comic book.

collection-2016L.JPG
Spidey rules

Last edited:

Aloha,
Great comment my man.Here's the thing. Along with being a Spidey collector I was also a stock holder in Marvel, both in the 90s' up to the time they filed bankruptcy as well in the 00' up to the time that they went to Disney. As a stock holder I voted yes because I've always felt that ultimately comics are best represented in animation and Disney is one of the kings.Now the reason I talk about being a stock holder is so I can say to all that neither Slott nor any other writer, tells Marvel what they are going to write about. They pitch ideas to Marvel and ONLY if it falls in line with what Marvel wants do they get the green light. Now in my case, I need #1 and AF#15 to have it all so no way am I stopping. As a collector, the rule of thumb is getting it for the cheapest price possible. Marvel subscription is the way to go for best price.Problem is sometimes you don't get your books in NM condition due to postal handling. The one thing I want to say to all fans is this. As much as I agree with the need to have continuity, when you can no longer enjoy a comic book for the simple pleasure of reading it- it's time to move on.The classic Marvel No-Prize was invented in the 1960's as a way of rewarding fans who caught the continuity errors.The main reason I stopped coming to these boards was not because I ever stopped reading Spidey, it was because nerdism was sucking the joy out of reading a comic book.

collection-2016L.JPG
Spidey rules

That's the right on.
(Sorry for the late reply. I'm rarely here, anymore)

I agree. I remember when Sins Past and "The Other" were going on, all the way to Brand New Day. No one was happy! This thing that brought me joy became a source of stress, almost! I couldn't talk to Spider-man with anyone without it becoming a hate-fest!!

Now, I read when something grabs me. Not often, though, as I don't have the money to spend on things like I used to. My daughter gets comics, now, not me. She's 9, and I won't her to enjoy it, if she wants to do so! I get Renew Your Vows, and I'm behind on it by 4 issues, now. She reads Spider-Gwen, and the occasional kid-fare. My son isn't into the comics, yet, but he gets one if she does, and then he flips through them. He's only 5, after all.

Either way, it's good seeing that you and Themanofbat are still around here. Nice to see familiar faces...so to speak!

Well, ASM #789 is now out, and I've not gotten it... :yay:

Though I wanna, but only to satiate that "fill in the collection" mentality...
Aaaackk!

Well, I bought it to try it out, and because my son wanted the fancy lenticular cover. Peter living on his girlfriend's couch wearing a shirt that says, "Ask me about my feminist Agenda". So, he's wearing his girlfriend's t-shirt. Wow.

I could not be less interested in the book, now. Honestly, the artwork was the only saving grace, because Stuart Immomen is insanely talented!

Well, I bought it to try it out, and because my son wanted the fancy lenticular cover. Peter living on his girlfriend's couch wearing a shirt that says, "Ask me about my feminist Agenda". So, he's wearing his girlfriend's t-shirt. Wow.

I could not be less interested in the book, now. Honestly, the artwork was the only saving grace, because Stuart Immomen is insanely talented!

Aloha,
Yes he is.
Spidey rules

I definitely got the collector mentality when Action and Detective comics returned to their original numbering, in combination with the end of New 52 and Rebirth it was perfect time for me to jump back on those. With ASM I usually buy the issues anyways even though post-Superior I haven't enjoyed the series as much. I still have hope the series will turn around, so I will continue to buy in my love of Spidey!

I definitely got the collector mentality when Action and Detective comics returned to their original numbering, in combination with the end of New 52 and Rebirth it was perfect time for me to jump back on those. With ASM I usually buy the issues anyways even though post-Superior I haven't enjoyed the series as much. I still have hope the series will turn around, so I will continue to buy in my love of Spidey!

I understand the 'collector mentality' part, you're bitten by that 'bug' and it just takes hold but...

Why continue to buy something that you don't enjoy?

I'm not picking on you but for me I firmly believe in supporting something with my wallet. Buying something just for the sake gives the creator a false message. I too hope the series turns around for the better--volume 4 has been some of the worst Spider-Man stories I can recall. I don't see the point in giving over my hard earned money for such low quality garbage just because it's Spider-Man.

Until the series does make that turn around, I'll be keeping those dollars.

Aloha,
Here are some rules to follow if you are going to be a collector.
First- Identify the specific titles that you are going to collect.Determine if you are going to collect the whole series or just those from a particular writer or artist.
Second- Develop a budget and stick to it.Not every tie in has to be collected.
Third- ALWAYS seek out the best condition comic for the lowest price you can find.
There is a huge difference between a comic book reader and a comic book collector. A comic reader can read a title off and on for years. A comic collector maintains their collection in good and bad times.My web site was always dedicated to promoting comic book collecting.
Actually these are rules that apply to anyone with any type of collection.
Spidey rules

I understand the 'collector mentality' part, you're bitten by that 'bug' and it just takes hold but...

Why continue to buy something that you don't enjoy?

I'm not picking on you but for me I firmly believe in supporting something with my wallet. Buying something just for the sake gives the creator a false message. I too hope the series turns around for the better--volume 4 has been some of the worst Spider-Man stories I can recall. I don't see the point in giving over my hard earned money for such low quality garbage just because it's Spider-Man.

Until the series does make that turn around, I'll be keeping those dollars.

I absolutely have been asking myself the same thing, but I love the character and want to see the ongoing story going with Peter despite me not liking where he is at. I also enjoy the threads of Doc Ock that has been spread over this volume...but still not as great as his Superior days. I don't buy ASM as it comes out, I usually wait a week or two to see if anyone buys it at the store I work at. Turns out, nobody buys ASM! I think it's worth reading if Dan has a few more Doc Ock tricks up his sleeve, but RYV is definitely the more appealing comic book.

I absolutely have been asking myself the same thing, but I love the character and want to see the ongoing story going with Peter despite me not liking where he is at. I also enjoy the threads of Doc Ock that has been spread over this volume...but still not as great as his Superior days. I don't buy ASM as it comes out, I usually wait a week or two to see if anyone buys it at the store I work at. Turns out, nobody buys ASM! I think it's worth reading if Dan has a few more Doc Ock tricks up his sleeve, but RYV is definitely the more appealing comic book.

Aloha,
For 2017

Direct Market comic book retailers continue to sell more units in 2017 than in comparable months in 2016, but are making less dollars, even with March's dollar sales buoyed by the $9.99 cover price of Amazing Spider-Man #25.

According to sales figures released by Diamond Comic Distributors Friday morning, that oversized Dan Slott/Stuart Immonen kick-off to a new Green Goblin story arc was the best-selling comic book of March, helping Marvel maintain their market share lead in dollar sales, while DC took the unit share category.

Marvel also placed the latest series debut of Iron Fist (ranked #5), and X-Men Prime #1 (ranked #6) in the Top 10.

DC's highest-ranking comic book was Dark Knight III: The Master Race #8, and Batman #18 and #19 ranked #3 and #4. All five of DC's Top 10 titles feature Batman, indisputably the industry's most popular character at this time.

Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples' Saga Volume 7 trade paperback from Image Comics was March's best-selling graphic novel, followed by the always-chart topping The Walking Dead with Volume 27: The Whisperer War.

Helped by Amazing Spider-Man #25, Marvel's 35.41% dollar share topped DC's 28.75% dollar share handily, but despite shipping seven less new titles in March than DC (131 to 123), DC accounted for 35.46% of unit share, barely edging out Marvel's 34.34%, again likely due to DC's "Rebirth" lower cover price structure, which will change in April.

BTW- While I hate to admit this, the success of comic books is not what makes the comic book company engine run anymore, it's the marketing of the character.30 -50 years ago, comic book companies made the lions share of their money from comic books. Not any more. The comic book at this point has become advertising for the franchise. as well as possible story boards for the movies.Thor Ragnorak has made more money than every issue of The Mighty Thor EVER published combined.Just as there are less comic book stores now than 30-40 years ago, there are less BOOK stores now than 30-40 years ago. But the big book stores are now carrying comics-trades,HC and comics themselves. But at $9.99 for Amazing #25 to top the March list means SOMEONE is still buying Amazing.Must be all of those kids who don't come to comics with incredible BAGGAGE.

Spidey rules

Direct Market comic book retailers continue to sell more units in 2017 than in comparable months in 2016, but are making less dollars, even with March's dollar sales buoyed by the $9.99 cover price of Amazing Spider-Man #25.

I wonder if DC's 2.99 price point has anything to do with it. Obviously, one $10 isn't going to make up for a significant chunk being cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"