College Basketball

Yowza

Sidekick
Reaction score
With March Madness starting up this year I figured I'd make another thread.

Conference Tournaments:
Here's the conference tournament schedule for all 32 NCAA conferences: 2020 NCAA conference tournaments: Schedules, brackets, scores, auto-bids

If you want to check out teams with lots of empty seats competing for that 1 automatic bid out of 32 check out some of these mid-major conference tournaments.

These schools solely depend on the auto-bids as 36 at-large bids for March Madness go to all the power 6 conferences (although conferences power ranked 7-10 out of the 32 Division 1 NCAA conferences usually get at least 1 at-large each year as well)...

UIC plays Wright State and Green Bay plays Northern Kentucky tomorrow night in the semifinals of the Horizon League to meet the Horizon so to speak which is the NCAA tournament.

The Horizon League takes their time with their conference tournament having started this past Tuesday the same day as the Patriot League (championship game this Tuesday) and the Big South and Atlantic Sun conferences that both ended today with Liberty and Winthrop (a 16 seed more than likely) both receiving auto bids by winning their conference's tournament which is the only way for schools from smaller conferences outside the top 10 (6 power conferences and 4 other usual multi-bid conferences) to get in.

I for some reason have been following a few Horizon League metropolitan colleges off/on since January. The winner will probably be Wright State receiving a 15th seed but I'm cheering for UIC for some reason I can't discern probably because they're small time but looking to make a mark for themselves. They've been below .500 most of the year but have split a win/loss with both Wright State and Northern Kentucky throughout the regular season. A smaller audience at these games than some of the bigger schools and they can lose every game yet can score suddenly and go on a sudden run so something about that team that makes me want to cheer for them.

My Rough Comparison of Conferences This Year:
In order of conferences this is essentially how non-conference records seem to have broken down in early January after non-conference play in November/December pretty much ended right before conference play began (mainly just went by Kenpom rankings here: KenPom Conference Rankings: Top 15 Conferences (1/9/20) - Slackie Brown DMV ):
1) Big 10
2) Big 12
3) ACC
4) Big East
5) Pac-12
6) SEC
7) AAC
8) WCC
9) Mountain West (Utah State Upset 2 seed Winner of Intense Tournament in 4 day span after starting this past wednesday with top 2 seeds only getting 1 bye; Utah State into March Madness with auto bid and San Diego State will likely get an at-large bid as a 2 seed into march madness with utah state getting a 10 seed after upset)
10) Atlantic 10

11) Mid-American
12) Missouri Valley (Like the Mountain West, a very intense tournament that has teams play day to day; Northern Iowa and Chicago Loyola were both upset resulting in 4 Seed Bradley winning the conference tournament getting an auto bid and more than likely getting a 13 seed come march madness)
13) Conference USA
14) Southern
15) Ivy
16) Sunbelt
17) Colonial
18) Summit

19) Big Sky (usually in low 20's)
20) Horizon (usually in mid-20's)
21) Patriot
22) WAC (usually below 20)
23) Big West
24) MAAC (usually below 20)
25) American East
26) Atlantic Sun (Liberty one of best records in nation won this tournament today against Lipscomb getting the auto-bid)

27) Ohio Valley (Belmont beat Murray State getting auto bid; likely will receive 15 seed but like Murray State has been receiving buzz lately as perhaps deserving of better seed unfortunately Murray State isn't going to make the NCAA tournament via at-large bid though due to conference in)
28) Southland (Texas SFA is the clear favorite for this conference tournament that unfortunately probably wont get at-large bid if lose in it despite getting regular season championship and having some good non-conference wins before conference play began)
29) Big South (Late Regular Season falter caused Winthrop to share regular season championship with radford but as a 2 seed beat 5 seed Hampton to earn auto bid into march madness today winning Big South tournament that began this past Tuesday with Winthrop earning buy in this 11 team tournament that began this past tuesday)
30) Northeast (This year perhaps could be considered 28th best conference going from top to bottom. It's usually within the bottom 4 but better year after adding Division 2 school Merrimack that won regular season but ineligible for post-season play due to being a new school; tournament play began this past Thursday and Saturday with Championship next Tuesday.)

31) SWAC
32) MEAC

There are 5 Auto Bids right now (bolded above) received from 32 total conference tournaments (regular season conference winners from lesser conferences outside of the top 10 at least receive bid for NIT tournament if not win their conference tournament)... 36 at large bids will occur on Selection Sunday once most of these tournaments have wrapped up... Most teams that haven't begun their end of season tournament yet will begin shortly as the regular season has just wrapped up for those that haven't started their tournaments today...

Last edited:
The Bracketing for March Madness Has Changed Over the Years so below is a basic Summary for this year:
Most of the news this past month has been on bubble teams in the power 6 as far as receiving at-large bids (the bids that are needed should a team lose a conference tournament end of season) with all the shakeup going on during the conference games in the power 6.

All teams outside of the top 10 conferences are predicted by most to need an auto-bid by winning their conference tournament this year. If a conference's regular season winner does not win their end of season conference tournament as well and is from a conference outside of the top 10 then at least an NIT bid is likely.

Field of 64:
This is the first round of the tournament not counting the preliminary "First Four" (described below). The bracket in 2020 is designated as East, Midwest, South, and West; all teams are seeded in groups of 4. All teams are assigned a seeding of 1-16 as a result. Therefore, 4 number 1 seeds and 4 number 2 seeds and so on...

First Four:
Since 2011 there have been 68 teams out of the total 353 Division 1 NCAA teams (32 conferences in 2020) that compete in March Madness. 32 of these teams are considered auto-bids having won their respective end-of season conference tournaments while 36 are considered at-large bids selected by a committee on what is known as "Selection Sunday" that is usually the 2nd Sunday of March when most of the conference tournaments have wrapped up.

The "First Four" are the 4 games played right before the field of 64 first round of the tournament begins for the right to get into it that brings the total number of teams down from 68 to 64. Teams competing in the "First Four" include the 4 bottom auto-bids playing in 2 games while the other 2 games include the bottom 4 at-large bids playing against one another to earn a place into the tournament as well.

To summarize these 4 games consist of 8 teams with 4 winners from these 4 games entering the "Field of 64":
2 Games With Bottom 4 Teams that Receive An Auto-Bid Designated as 16th Seeds: There are six teams given a 16th seed status now with the top 2 of these 16th seeded teams not having to play in the "First Four" (get to play their number 1 seeded opponents right away in the "Field of 64"). It is the bottom 4 out of the 6 auto-bid teams given a 16th seed that have to compete for the right to earn the remaining two 16th seed slots in the tournament though.

2 Games With Bottom 4 Teams that Receive At-Large Bids: Usually there are 6 at-large teams seeded as 11th with the top 2 of these assuming their status as 11th seed in the first round of the field of 64 playing a 6th seed (in other words 2 of the six teams seeded as 11th seed get into field of 64 right away playing a 6th seed while 4 teams seeded as 11th have to play for 2 remaining 11th seed spots and right to play the other 2 6th seeds).

However, if there are too many auto-bids occupying a higher seeding, then there are 5 at-large bid teams with 11th seed status (single game of the two bottom 11th seeds playing to get into the field of 64 for the last 11th seed spot) and 5 at-large bid teams seeded as 12th seeds (single game of the two bottom 12th seeds playing to get into the field of 64 for the last 12th seed spot).

March Madness is going to be as advertised this year. I'm glad that I'm not a bracket predictor, because the difference between the top teams and middle teams in some of the power conferences is very meager. It wouldn't shock me to see 2 or 3 surprise teams in the Final Four.

The ACC tourney starts tonight.

Alot of conference tourney games last night with the Southern ending with ETSU the winner. 4 openning Midamerican games and semifinals for WCC, Summit, Sunbelt, Colonial, and Horizon happened as well.

I didnt get a chance to catch a lot until tailend though.

The main game tonight is the WCC championship. I saw the semifinal of BYU and St Mary's last night and down to final second with last second shot. Can St. Mary's upset Gonzaga in championship like last year? They're 0-2 this year but played them tough away last regular season game. BYU was getting so much hype after their post player back from injury going 1-1 against Gonzaga giving Gonzaga their only regular season conference loss but had an off night last night. With WCC being a top 10 conference BYU still will probably get an at large bid to March madness and st. Mary's might too if lose tonight.

UIC beat WRIGHT state last night so plays northern kentucky who beat greenbay in horizon championship for a smaller conference game I am excited about as well. Loser of course is done and winner gets an autobid into March Madness to meet their Horizon.

A lot more conference tournament games beginning today as well as a number continuing or wrapping up. I've been trying check scores on the cbs sports page playing some of the bracket games while on break at work but just having to re-load all the time so just been using google to check scores and standings through the day before get home.

The Ivy league is the only to cancel their tournament outright due to coronavirus. Last week though a couple of teams in the WAC refused to go into the seattle area thus ending their regular seasons but WAC tournament appears still on.

NCAA has done the limited audience for the division 3 tournament only thus far but for division 1 the limited audience for conference tourneys has come into effect for those taking place in ohio and california thus the big west that is about to start and MAC that began last night will now limit audiences as well while games go on due to state sanctions as opposed to ncaa placed ones as was the case for division 3.

In anycase a BYU fan was at the regular season game with Gonzaga about 3 weeks ago that came off a cruise ship and the FDA and CDC seem to be experiencing some issues per the newest new york times article reported yesterday.

It seems the tournament will keep going though and the rest of the many conference tourneys are wrapping up by weeks end for selection sunday. Keep in mind for many non power conferences entire seasons are on the line right now with no at large bid likely would need to win conference tourney even if won their given conference in regular season to get an autobid.

Update: NCAA tournament no audience. All conferences pressured by some universities within or by local governemnt sanctions have followed suit. The Ivy responded by declaring everything off. The CIT and CBI post-season tourneys have been cancelled but the NIT and March Madness will still be on once the conferences wrap-up with their tourneys.

Further Update: We all know that after Wednesday night's incident in the NBA the tournaments conference wise were called off followed by March Madness as well totally ending. St. John's was beating Creighton at half time by 5 points and I had them as the underdogs repeating an upset that happened a few weeks prior...

In other news, shortly after news of the cancellation, an official of the Colonia Conference's championship game afterwards tested positive for the Corona virus as well.

With sadness this was a great season of NCAA basketball at it's peak and it's no more. If the NCAA ever does release their March Madness Bracket merely for reference sake it's not going to matter much as only 10 of the tournaments for conferences had completed and competition wasn't exactly stratified this year. I wish CBS or someone would make a video to commemorate it somehow to intersperse throughout the next season of all the memorable moments and the many drastic changes in ranked teams and conference standings...

Last edited:
Going to feel really weird not having March Madness (or any other sports) going on now.

The NCAA Tournament is my favorite sporting event. I fully understand the reasons for the cancellation, but that doesn't make the void any less painful.

I just deleted all the conference tournament bracket predictions I made as well as various screenshots I saved of Jerry Palm's bracket at various points in time throughout the year. This was one of the most competitive years and there were so many stories...

I think it would be a good idea for one of the stations to do small season commemoration bits at various points in time this next season assuming everything returns to normal again and we don't get hit another wave of the virus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"