Comic films you think should be rebooted?

HOLY **** i nearly lost it:lmao: if you mean house of safe by the numbers formulaic blockbusters then sure

marvel has made 1 great film that is iron man that is the only marvel film that some depth to it and actually had it's own voice

I count 3 great films they've made along with 3 other good films they've made. As opposed to Sony/Fox/Lionsgate/Universal who collectively still have yet to make a great superhero film from their Marvel properties and only maybe 4 good films between them and 3 or 4 so-so movies. And then there's WB/DC which haven't made a great superhero film since the 1970's and have only a couple of other good ones(only one of which was made recently).

So yeah, I'd stack MS's track record against any other studio doing this genre any day of the week.

You wouldn't call either Watchmen or any of the Dark Knight films great..?

Hell no. Batman Begins was very good but that's all I can give them. And who other than die hard fanboys even thinks Watchmen was good? It bombed. Tells you what the GA thought of it. Now I readily admit that I am in the minority when it comes to the last 2 of Nolan's Batman films(but I don't need validation to hold my own opinions, just logic) but I would say I side with the majority on Watchmen.

To me, WB/DC has only 1 great superhero film(Superman 1), 1 very good superhero film(BB) and 1 more or less ok superhero film(Superman 2). That's not a great track record in my book.

Last edited:
Hell no. Batman Begins was very good but that's all I can give them. And who other than die hard fanboys even thinks Watchmen was good? It bombed. Tells you what the GA thought of it. Now I readily admit that I am in the minority when it comes to the last 2 of Nolan's Batman films(but I don't need validation to hold my own opinions, just logic) but I would say I side with the majority on Watchmen.

To me, WB/DC has only 1 great superhero film(Superman 1), 1 very good superhero film(BB) and 1 more or less ok superhero film(Superman 2). That's not a great track record in my book.

Thank God someone else said this,, I agree with BB I liked it allot... The next two were just flat out boring to me.. After BB they just hijacked the environment, look, too much dialogue, too many characters etc.. The next two were not for me at all. Any way i just thought I was alone with liking BB and not the others,, I get bashed most of the time for it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dick Tracy get another cinematic effort.

I've read about Warren Beatty's interest in a sequel, but I think a reboot would be the way to go. Especially with so many of Tracy's rogues gallery having already appeared in the 1990 film.

Thank God someone else said this,, I agree with BB I liked it allot... The next two were just flat out boring to me.. After BB they just hijacked the environment, look, too much dialog, too many characters etc.. The next two were not for me at all. Any way i just thought I was alone with liking BB and not the others,, I get bashed most of the time for it.

We're definitely not alone. I've encountered many here and elsewhere who think similarly about Nolan's trilogy. I didn't find the sequels boring. I found them sneaky, full of themselves and intellectually insulting. When the thing that makes you movie work, that is the driving force without which your movie would fall flat....when ultimately your sole reason for it working is "well, the movie just needs this to happen so we'll make it happen" then your writing has failed and you weren't clever enough to find a solution that made sense and was satisfying.

"We don't know how to make the Joker a credible threat to the entire city since he has no powers and this iteration of Batman doesn't lend itself to lethal joy buzzers and smile-x gas balloons not to mention the fact that he'd only last 2 seconds against the hero in an actual fight. I know! We'll just make everything he does just work out and then he'll seem really smart(and by extension so will we the writers) and we'll just keep that up till we need the movie to end and him to go down. And to keep people from noticing and asking logical questions, we'll throw in a lot of panache and stuff to distract them. Boy, we sure got a lot of mileage out of that pencil trick scene. People were ready to forgive ANY logical inconsistencies after that."

Yeah, uh.....that's just terrible for any movie to pull on it's audience.:cmad:

Last edited:
Any story with such a complex narrative will have minor plot holes.

I'm glad I got my Dark Knight trilogy though and still looking forward to a Batman reboot which I won't be comparing it to any of Nolan's films but I just hope it's at least good.

Actually that was one of the things i felt was the problem.. It was too complex to the point that Batman was hardly of any focus. Too many characters and dialogue, lack of BB environment, it just kinda faded away IMO.

Any movie based in some way on unreality is bound to have some plot holes but just having a plot hole doesn't mean your movie fails. But if the crux of your whole movie working is riddled with plot holes then I'd say yes, your movie has failed...at least from a narrative/story POV. You can still make it passable(though it'll never be great) by ensuring that your film(despite it's huge story problems) is at least fun to watch. That's why I'd say movies that put more emphasis on fun and entertainment have a leg up on other films that try to impress with how smart they supposedly are. To me, Nolan's last two Batman films are anything but fun.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dick Tracy get another cinematic effort.

I've read about Warren Beatty's interest in a sequel, but I think a reboot would be the way to go. Especially with so many of Tracy's rogues gallery having already appeared in the 1990 film.

I'll second that! A new Dick Tracy film has superb potential. Could also be a massive mess, but I guess that's true for any franchise. In the right style it'd be a good money maker.

I want to see a rebooted " Fist of the Northstar"

I'd still be happy with a reboot of The Crow. after most of the sequels made a mess of the story I think a new retelling of James O'Barr original Story with Eric Draven would be great with a new modern take on the Story. As long as a Director came on board that would respect that.

How did the sequels make a mess of the original story that is told in the first film?

Glad others have said it. When I first saw the dark knight I hated it. It grew on me after time, but Begins will always be #1 imo. TDKR was just ok. I still have not seen the batman I want on screen. So Batman needs to be rebooted. Someone who wants to be Batman.

Also, Blade, Spawn, and ghost rider. Having nic cage and making it pg-13 was a joke

If we're talking about the superhero we always wanted to see, then you might as well say every CBM should be rebooted. Imo, I have not seen any hero being portrayed the way I want. Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, etc.

The only superheroes I have seen onscreen portrayed in a way that perfectly reflected their comic book counterparts are Batman in the 3 Nolans, Wolverine in the first three X-Men films, and Superman in the first two Donner films.
Talking about the franchise ones, not one off niche characters like Watchmen.
edit: forgot about the Avengers..lol...they got most of those characters right, Cap, Thor, Iron-Man(I don't know the ultimate version though, apart from the cartoon movie adaptions, but the character was better here than in the 616 i knew from back in the 80s, added humour), Hulk/Banner(Ruffalo)...

To me Batman and TDK were great movies.

Batman Begins is very good.

Batman Returns is so-so, and entertaining, as is TDKR but the more I watch it the less I like that one. Especially since it is like BR with it's nearly absentee Batman.

The rest are trash.

I kind of agree with your overall assessment of WB/DC. Especially since Batman has kind of proved to be well received in most all of his media adaptations, it actually seems like it's harder to make a bad Batman movie than a good one (so far 5 have been better than average, and 2 have been bad, also the 1960s Bats and cartoons have all been fantastic).

It seems like if it ain't Batman, WB doesn't know what they are doing.

The only one I felt was perfect was Blade. That movie was the best comic book movie ever. It was close to perfect outside of some bad fight scenes at the end.

To me Batman and TDK were great movies.

Batman Begins is very good.

Batman Returns is so-so, and entertaining, as is TDKR but the more I watch it the less I like that one. Especially since it is like BR with it's nearly absentee Batman.

See, in regards to TDKR, normally that would bother me about a Batman movie, but when Batman does appear onscreen in costume it is just so good. I'd say the sequence from when Batman makes his comeback to Batman and Catwoman's escape in the Bat is probably my favourite 'Batman' sequence on film.
I like watching Bruce getting his sh** together at the beginning of the movie too, and in the prison.
The scenes with the Bat amaze me more than the city action in Avengers, because the Bat swooping between buildings is old school stunts, and looks real.

I kind of agree with your overall assessment of WB/DC. Especially since Batman has kind of proved to be well received in most all of his media adaptations, it actually seems like it's harder to make a bad Batman movie than a good one (so far 5 have been better than average, and 2 have been bad, also the 1960s Bats and cartoons have all been fantastic).

It seems like if it ain't Batman, WB doesn't know what they are doing.

Constantine, Watchmen and V For Vendetta are all very good DC/WB superhero films.

To be fair, DC/WB have only made films with 3 of their regular superheroes, and most of the Superman films were decades ago.
GL was as average as a lot of Marvel superhero films, and there is a sheer plethora of Marvel films, so the strike rate is obviously higher for them.

It's good that DC are biding their time and waiting for the right moment to strike with their superheroes onscreen, rather than rushing in. they will learn a lesson from GL, ie don't try to copy another franchise(Iron-Man), get a director who knows the material and is passionate about it rather than just being a respected filmaker, but that too of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"