Gotham Commissioner James Gordon Origins Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is the early years before Batman, and B VS S is an older Bats, perhaps it'll be in continuity but with different time-periods/actors.

Michael C Hall for the younger Gordon,

original.jpg

Cranston for the older one?
tumblr_mtlgclyobU1stgakao2_500.png

Also, perhaps they'll do the same with Flash. Young Grant Gustin for TV. And a different actor for the JL movie which takes place 10 years later (or perhaps with Wally West).

Last edited:
This has huge potential. Who knows maybe a season or two down the line and Batman will make an appearance and we will get to see the before and after Batmans arrival

Ahh, I gotcha.

I feel that financially, Arrow is much easier to sell than Batman. Conceptually, it's about the same. Both are rich white dudes with no superpowers. As for networks, not to belittle them, but the CW isn't one of the Big 4. And Wonder Woman failing speaks for itself, though I will say it was the concept of that particular take that failed.

But Batman has way more name recognition than Arrow. I'd argue Commissioner Gordon is more well known than most DC or Marvel superheroes hence Fox picking this up. Arrow, Wonder Woman, even Smallville back when it first started were never going to generate interest with major networks the way a show about a major supporting character for arguably the most popular superhero in the world would. This show is on Fox because Fox offered them a boatload of money for the rights. All their other shows ended up by default on CW for the same reason AOS is on ABC... their respective parent companies. If anything this being on Fox speaks more about the popularity of Batman and how much money they were probably offered. I'm sure it would have been easier for DC to stick with CW or HBO or some other company associated with Time Warner.

This could work, but it depends on the lead in or show coming after it. Don't stick it in front of two comedies that will probably bomb.

I don't think it matters what it's in front of.

I've wanted to see a cop drama in Gotham ala The Wire for a while now, and though I don't know if this will be that show (that would have been on HBO or AMC or somesuch) it has me intrigued.

Many great story arcs they could do:

The murder of the Waynes.

Red Hood Gang.

Cobblepot

Black Mask

Cobblepot vs Black Mask

The long tragic journey of DA Harvey Dent.

Visiting Arkham Asylum. Investigating a legend of a vampire?

The death of the Graysons.

So much potential, all before Batman even shows up. And when he does (can he? Legally?), the doors blow wide open.

Many great story arcs they could do:

The murder of the Waynes.

Red Hood Gang.

Cobblepot

Black Mask

Cobblepot vs Black Mask

The long tragic journey of DA Harvey Dent.

Visiting Arkham Asylum. Investigating a legend of a vampire?

The death of the Graysons.

So much potential, all before Batman even shows up. And when he does (can he? Legally?), the doors blow wide open.

But most of the things on that list require an active Batman unless they want to seriously change every interpretation of Batman. I can't even imagine how you can have an episode about the death of the Graysons that takes place chronologically before Batman, or Harvey Dent's transformation into Two Face. Really, outside Falcone, Maroni, and maybe the Red Hood gang most of the rogue gallery is pretty much off limits pre-Batman (especially the freaks). I think they missed a solid opportunity by not doing something more along the lines of Gotham Central. Having this take place before Batman really makes it hard to distinguish it from any other crime show on tv. Without the rogue gallery it's basically going to be CSI with Jim Gordon.

Last edited:
I imagine the show itself won't be too similar to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., just based on what seems to be the nature of it, but still, the timing of this announcement suggest that this is Warner TV and DC trying to do something sort of similar to it. I alternate between being frustrated by their inability to catch up to Marvel and being amused by it.

A lot of people have long wanted a GCPD show. I've never really been one of them, but I've never been against that either. I imagine this is the closest we'll get, and hopefully the show will find out a rich supporting cast. I don't know if Gordon can carry a TV series, but it's not that that has me worried. It's Birds of Prey.

I watched Birds of Prey, but I only kinda-sorta liked it. I liked that Alfred was around, I liked Barbara/Oracle, I really liked Mia Sara's Harley Quinn (er...Dr. Harleen Quinzel), but really, I was most excited when being teased at a Batman appearance. The show never clicked for me because it was a sort of Batman spin-off that was dancing around what it knew you really wanted, but it couldn't give you, because Warner wanted to reboot the movie franchise. Hopefully this won't be like that. Bottom line: If this is a ho-hum police procedural with the only interest coming from a tenuous connection to Batman, then it fails. Is Batman's world rich enough to carry a show without Batman in it? I guess that question is worth asking again.

The issue of villains is a huge one, and my head hurts, so I can't go into it yet.

Last edited:
But Batman has way more name recognition than Arrow. I'd argue Commissioner Gordon is more well known than most DC or Marvel superheroes hence Fox picking this up. Arrow, Wonder Woman, even Smallville back when it first started were never going to generate interest with major networks the way a show about a major supporting character for arguably the most popular superhero in the world would. This show is on Fox because Fox offered them a boatload of money for the rights. All their other shows ended up by default on CW for the same reason AOS is on ABC... their respective parent companies. If anything this being on Fox speaks more about the popularity of Batman and how much money they were probably offered. I'm sure it would have been easier for DC to stick with CW or HBO or some other company associated with Time Warner.

ABC probably sat out of it, doesn't fit their brand plus the Marvel connection but Fox has stumbled of late. They needed a show like this. American Idol/The X-Factor, Glee, Bones are losing viewers, they have low rated comedies on Sundays/Tuesday and only have The Following for new shows and that could also falter. I'm sure NBC was also aggressive with bidding for this but Fox sealed it with a series order.

I'm just surprised how quiet this project is. How many stories on The Hulk have we read, even the Agent Carter rumours. I just read this morning a Gotham Central series may be in the works and then this happens.

Well they said the show is before he meets Batman, not necessarily before Batman shows up.

So the villains can have met Batman, but Gordon and the audience have not. Throughout the series, Gordon can be investigating stories about a vampire on the streets, etc, the legend of the bat.

They can really sell the mystery of Batman this way.

We've had a trilogy of seeing behind the veil of Batman. Perhaps this time around we can be on the other side of the curtain. Same with Batman vs Superman. Frame it from Superman's POV.

This has the potential to be something truly great. I assume they'll use Year one Gordon as the basis for his character at the beginning.

I'm really stoked. Just think of the possibilities here. Let's just hope they get a great Gordon and there is great writing.

Since this is the early years before Batman, and B VS S is an older Bats, perhaps it'll be in continuity but with different time-periods/actors.

Michael C Hall for the younger Gordon,

original.jpg

Cranston for the older one?
tumblr_mtlgclyobU1stgakao2_500.png

Also, perhaps they'll do the same with Flash. Young Grant Gustin for TV. And a different actor for the JL movie which takes place 10 years later (or perhaps with Wally West).

Fox does have a pattern of using old talent from past series. After the success of Breaking Bad I can see them reaching out to Cranston.

i think they should go younger if this is a younger Gordon Cranston feels like a Gordon who has known batman

even tho he doesn't really do tv Ewan Mcgregor would be a solid choice
miss_potter_2006_1024x768_563965.jpg

Well they said the show is before he meets Batman, not necessarily before Batman shows up.

So the villains can have met Batman, but Gordon and the audience have not. Throughout the series, Gordon can be investigating stories about a vampire on the streets, etc, the legend of the bat.

They can really sell the mystery of Batman this way.

We've had a trilogy of seeing behind the veil of Batman. Perhaps this time around we can be on the other side of the curtain. Same with Batman vs Superman. Frame it from Superman's POV.

This could really work. I like this idea.

Oh, and if they cast Cranston or Michael C. Hall as Gordon, they guarantee my viewership.

So if they are staying true to how law enforcement in Gotham has been portrayed before Batman, does that mean that each week the criminal gets away?

If this is Gordons origin story then Cranston is to old for the role. If this is just Jim a few years before Batman then he could be a good choice.

Personally I was more interested in the idea of "Gotham Central". It had an extra element that would have set it apart from other police procedural's. Based on what little we know about the Jim Gordon show I suspect we will end up with something more like "The shield" rather then S.H.I.E.L.D.

So if they are staying true to how law enforcement in Gotham has been portrayed before Batman, does that mean that each week the criminal gets away?

If this is Gordons origin story then Cranston is to old for the role. If this is just Jim a few years before Batman then he could be a good choice.

Personally I was more interested in the idea of "Gotham Central". It had an extra element that would have set it apart from other police procedural's. Based on what little we know about the Jim Gordon show I suspect we will end up with something more like "The shield" rather then S.H.I.E.L.D.

that would be bad ass.

My only reservation is how many Batman villains can Gordon and the police force actually take down? He takes down zsasz alright, but him taking down Black Mask (who I've seen mentioned quite a but as a possible villain) ?? I don't think I'm alright with that, it makes black mask look like a chump, Black Mask should be bigger than Gordon, hence the reason and need for Batman

I'll give it a try, but a Gotham show without Batman? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"