Gotham Commissioner James Gordon Origins Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always liked that song and would be perfect for a TV show like this

If WB/DC are looking to do what Marvel's doing and build a shared universe that exists on both film and TV, then that makes this a different situation than "Smallville." The "no Batman" angle is a creative choice with this, isn't it? And I just don't see it lasting that long. Of course, this is a ridiculously early time in which to say that, and I might be wrong. I hope I am, actually. Even though I don't especially think Gordon can carry a TV series, if you're going to do a show about Jim Gordon, I want to see you do a show about Jim Gordon.

(Plus, I'm glad "Smallville" never brought in Bruce. They brought in too many superheroes as special-guest-star distractions as it was.)

I don't see how they can bring in Bruce Wayne later, since this series is focused on a young Detective Gordon, and it wasn't until Gordon became Commissioner that Wayne began to known as the Batman. But who knows? Maybe they will rewrite the Batman history like Smallville did with Superman.

You guys are joking about that R Kelly song, right? :huh:

I figured you were all joking but I admit I really did actually liked the song on the B&R soundtrack and It could fit for a TV show about Gordon and Gotham City,I'm in the very minority but whatever it's just my opinion

They'd be better off making a Bruce Wayne series - chronicling his 7 years hiatus from Gotham. They could show all his adventures and training plus show that the LOS had been following him well before BB. They could even have it where The League actually saves him a few times without him knowing about it.

I would prefer they distance themselves from Batman Begins and not have Bruce involved with the League, in any capacity. If anything, I would like to see him work with some of the trainers from the comics, such as Henri Ducard

If WB/DC are looking to do what Marvel's doing and build a shared universe that exists on both film and TV, then that makes this a different situation than "Smallville." The "no Batman" angle is a creative choice with this, isn't it? And I just don't see it lasting that long. Of course, this is a ridiculously early time in which to say that, and I might be wrong. I hope I am, actually. Even though I don't especially think Gordon can carry a TV series, if you're going to do a show about Jim Gordon, I want to see you do a show about Jim Gordon.

(Plus, I'm glad "Smallville" never brought in Bruce. They brought in too many superheroes as special-guest-star distractions as it was.)
Smallville not having Batman was not their choice but Nolan's he wanted his Batman to be the only Batman at the time. Hell Smallville was almost cancelled because of Superman Returns because the WB thought Singer wanted the same thing however Singer stepped in and said both could run at the same time which actually saved Smallville.

That had nothing to do with Nolan not allowing anything, it was a blanket Bat-embargo. I mean his rogue gallery wasn't even allowed to be used on the Justice League cartoon because of it.

That had nothing to do with Nolan not allowing anything, it was a blanket Bat-embargo. I mean his rogue gallery wasn't even allowed to be used on the Justice League cartoon because of it.
Yes it did. No live action version of Batman/Bruce Wayne could be used without Nolan's approval. The Justice League had nothing to do with that. In Justice League they could not use the Batman villains because they (WB/CW) was trying to get The Batman off the ground. That show is the reason why you didn't see the villains anymore. Just like how Nolan was prepared to walk away from The Dark Knight and WB if they went ahead with Justice League. He wanted his Batman to be the only one. You almost saw the same thing with Superman until Singer stepped in and said their can be two version of the same hero. The Bat-embargo you are talking about really only applied to the cartoon because of The Batman.

I've been hearing a lot of mixed feelings about Gotham. A lot of people don't see the potential for this show for some reason. I see a bunch of potential, so I wrote up an article on how I know it'll work...if done the right way.

Here's the link if you want to read, love to chat with you here or on the comments section about what you think.

http://twodashstash.com/2013/10/goth...rk-jim-gordon/

They'd be better off making a Bruce Wayne series - chronicling his 7 years hiatus from Gotham. They could show all his adventures and training plus show that the LOS had been following him well before BB. They could even have it where The League actually saves him a few times without him knowing about it.

I have thought about this as well. It would sort of be a modern day Kung Fu.

I don't know why people want a Batman/Bruce Wayne series more than Gordan and Gotham. YES I know he's Batman and that makes him epic, but why not diversify? Why not do a show like Gotham? That's why I wrote the article so that people can see there is so much potential with Gotham City outside of Batman.

Probably the same reason they want to see all the traditional rogues gallery of villains in Beware the Batman; they don't see the potential for new or under-utilized characters... which in turn makes them even more under-utilized and even more unwanted in their eyes. It's a cycle of reasoning often repeated.

I don't know why people want a Batman/Bruce Wayne series more than Gordan and Gotham. YES I know he's Batman and that makes him epic, but why not diversify? Why not do a show like Gotham? That's why I wrote the article so that people can see there is so much potential with Gotham City outside of Batman.

Well, I like both ideas. I wouldn't say either of them are bad. I mean if you're doing a Gordon show where he's dealing with some theatrical villains before Batman, that changes the dynamic between Batman and the villains in an interesting way. All of a sudden Batman doesn't seem as crazy because he's just a response to the villains . He doesn't have the burden of wondering if he created his enemies.

With Gotham they need to have comicbooky elements or else the concept and setting is useless, because it's just another cop drama then.

Last edited:
But that's the thing, you don't need the "supervillains" to make Gotham interesting. I outlined possible villains in the series could be Black Mask, Oswald Cobblepot (before he became Penguin), Firefly, Jane Doe, Zsasz. Maybe Prometheus and Wrath. How about Calender Man for a trippy period in the show. Oh and of course, Riddler.

These villains, more or less, don't need Batman to exist. Joker, Two-Face, Poison Ivy, and others maybe, but not this crew. These would be street-level villains that Gordon and the MCU could tackle. That way WHEN Batman arrives the villains grow even more theatrical, because now it's believable.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/03/gotham-has-a-potential-timeline
Gotham Has a Potential Timeline
Does the pilot episode center around a very familiar case to Batman fans?
by Jared Larson DECEMBER 2, 2013

It looks like we may have a timeline for FOX's upcoming Gotham TV series, about a younger James Gordon.

Bleeding Cool reports that they have inside information on the pilot for Gotham. According to their source in Warner Bros., “The pilot script for Gotham has Detective Jim Gordon trying to solve a very famous double homicide.”

Sounds like they might be taking a cue from Batman Begins, having a young Gordon investigate the deaths of Bruce Wayne's parents. While time-skips and flashbacks/flashforwards are certainly possible, setting the timeline that early would also give the showrunners an excuse to not feature Batman and the more colorful elements of his rogues gallery in every episode. That seems like a bummer at first, but this could potentially mean a deeper character study of Gordon and the Gotham City Police Department than we have ever seen on-screen. Considering how much baggage Gordon carries in the comics, Gotham could make for a fascinating drama. It could also introduce classic secondary characters like detectives Harvey Bullock and Renee Montoya into the realm of live-action.

Eh. With so many lower tier DC characters or Vertigo characters I'd prefer to see, seeing a Gordon series in a time period where Thomas and Martha Wayne are recently killed sounds lackluster to me. Thank the Lord NBC is planning a Hellblazer series.

:up:

Yes it did. No live action version of Batman/Bruce Wayne could be used without Nolan's approval. The Justice League had nothing to do with that. In Justice League they could not use the Batman villains because they (WB/CW) was trying to get The Batman off the ground. That show is the reason why you didn't see the villains anymore. Just like how Nolan was prepared to walk away from The Dark Knight and WB if they went ahead with Justice League. He wanted his Batman to be the only one. You almost saw the same thing with Superman until Singer stepped in and said their can be two version of the same hero. The Bat-embargo you are talking about really only applied to the cartoon because of The Batman.

You know what's funny?

The Batman featured an origin story for Clayface that sounded similar to the hypothetical third Nolan flick where Joker created Two-Face.

Casting call sent out for a young Bruce Wayne

A 10-year-old Bruce Wayne is among the roles that are now being cast as series regulars on the upcoming Fox TV series "Gotham" which explores the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham City famous. Shooting on the pilot episode will get underway in March, 2014 and will center on Gotham City PD rookie homicide detective James Gordon who investigates the double murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne.
http://www.tvshowauditions.info/2013/12/fox-casting-series-regulars-for-gotham.html

So that pretty much validates Bleeding Cool's other reports on Arrow and a Young Justice show being in development too.

O...this could mean Alfred, we might see Alfreds return to Wayne manor with some of his backstory. Leslie Thomkins offcourse and maybe some goldenage superheroes that inspired Bruce, like Alan Scott or The Spectre could make an appearance?
I'd love to see Killer Croc much like they wrote him in Batman Nine Lives.

Mobsters offcourse, they can even throw in Lew Moxon. Bullock is older than Bruce Wayne, he could be included as a rookie.

Gotham should have a certain vibe, It's a shame they won't go for Burton's 1989 Gotham. That precinct building was perfect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back