Superman Returns Comparisons of Hair, suits, etc....(merged)

No the only problem is that some people are so stuck on the image of Chris Reeve that they are unable to accept another actor in the part. I don't dispute Sebastions skills, but every time this subject comes up he's trying to compare Brandon to Chris. Chris, Gid rest his soul, is gone. The last Superman movie came out 20 years ago. Even if Chiris hadn't been crippled, he would have been too old for the part. It would have been a Sean Connery/never say Never again situation with an actor obviously too old for the part. I love the Chris Reeve movies but it's time to embrace a new Superman, a new actor and a new look. There is going to be an entire Generation of people for whom Brandon Routh will be Superman.

I like the superman with long hair most.

JamalYIgle said:
No the only problem is that some people are so stuck on the image of Chris Reeve that they are unable to accept another actor in the part. I don't dispute Sebastions skills, but every time this subject comes up he's trying to compare Brandon to Chris. Chris, Gid rest his soul, is gone. The last Superman movie came out 20 years ago. Even if Chiris hadn't been crippled, he would have been too old for the part. It would have been a Sean Connery/never say Never again situation with an actor obviously too old for the part. I love the Chris Reeve movies but it's time to embrace a new Superman, a new actor and a new look. There is going to be an entire Generation of people for whom Brandon Routh will be Superman.

If you or singer want anoter actor with a new look, they have to cast an actor who looks as superman and not look like Reeve. Do you think that Routh look like Reeve a lot of times is just a casualty? no my friend, They chooise Routh because he look like Reeve, so is inevitable compare Routh wirh Reeve, If you Cast and get someone who looks like Reeve for superman, is wrong and contradictory try to made Brandon not looks like Reeve, dont you think?

By contrary, if Singer give to Brandon the same image that Reeve give to Superman , the image of Routh as Superman is going to be much Stronger!

SUPERSEBAS said:
If you or singer want anoter actor with a new look, they have to cast an actor who looks as superman and not look like Reeve. Do you think that Routh look like Reeve a lot of times is just a casualty? no my friend, They chooise Routh because he look like Reeve, so is inevitable compare Routh wirh Reeve, If you Cast and get someone who looks like Reeve for superman, is wrong and contradictory try to made Brandon not looks like Reeve, dont you think?

Contrary, if Singer give to Brandon the same image that Reeve give to Superman to brandon, the image of Routh as Superman is going to be much Stronger!

No actually I'm one of the few people who happens to believe that while Brandon has a passing resemblance to Chris, he should neither be foreced to look exactly like Chris or act exactly like Chris. I used to be an actor. So while his look got him the job, I'd rather judge him on his performance. It's not inevitable to compare the two just like it's not inevitable to compare Dean Cain or Tom Welling to Christopher. To make such a superficial(No pun intended) Comparison belittles the spirit of the movie. And to be honest I think Brandon looks more like a young marlon Brandon than he does Christopher Reeve. I also happen to think that Brandon looks great as Superman, he's not too thin but he's not huge. I think he looks like he stepped out of Superman:Birthright. It's a great look.

The only real problem I have with Routh is his neck. It makes him look weak. In some of the action shots we've seen, it's not that noticable. Mainly just on the close ups. I'm hoping when we see him in motion on screen, it won't be as bad.

JamalYIgle said:
No actually I'm one of the few people who happens to believe that while Brandon has a passing resemblance to Chris, he should neither be foreced to look exactly like Chris or act exactly like Chris. I used to be an actor. So while his look got him the job, I'd rather judge him on his performance. It's not inevitable to compare the two just like it's not inevitable to compare Dean Cain or Tom Welling to Christopher. To make such a superficial(No pun intended) Comparison belittles the spirit of the movie. And to be honest I think Brandon looks more like a young marlon Brandon than he does Christopher Reeve. I also happen to think that Brandon looks great as Superman, he's not too thin but he's not huge. I think he looks like he stepped out of Superman:Birthright. It's a great look.

I don't care if the dude they cast looks like Reeve or not. Routh would look fine if he didn't look like such a *****. I really didn't have a problem with Cain either, since he looked strong. Routh just looks like a scrawny kid in most shots, IMO. It has nothing to do with him being a Reeve clone.

That's your opinion. I however have a better grasp of Human anatomy, the mans neck isn't thin, if you look at him straight on you can see that.

JamalYIgle said:

Good point. I'd also like to add that the same could be said almost 30 years ago,
when Chris was cast for the role and people were skeptical as to
whether or not he could pass the role. Of course, with S:TM having been released, everyone was convinced otherwise and you had a whole new generation of fans, but before that the only living image of Superman was George Reeves.

This is no different.

chi-boy said:
I don't care if the dude they cast looks like Reeve or not. Routh would look fine if he didn't look like such a *****. I really didn't have a problem with Cain either, since he looked strong. Routh just looks like a scrawny kid in most shots, IMO. It has nothing to do with him being a Reeve clone.

Brandon Routh can look much more strong and more like superman, Brandon cant be a clon of Reeve because he look like Chris but not so much like to make him a clon, what it can be do, is to use the best of the 2 sides, the Reeve side of routh can be reinforced and the Routh side on Routh can be better and more atractive!

SUPERSEBAS said:
Brandon Routh can look much more strong and more like superman, Brandon cant be a clon of Reeve because he look like Chris but not so much like to make him a clon, what it can be do, is to use the best of the 2 sides, the Reeve side of routh can be reinforced and the Routh side on Routh can be better and more atractive!

Can you try making sense?

yup

he'd look good as luigi too. Someone should manip that.

SUPERSEBAS said:

No, that's where you're mistaken. You want him to be a Chris Reeve lookalike. Singer chose Routh for a reason, had him build himself to a point that hea was happy with. You either accept it as a creative decision or you walk away.
You're problem and I've said this to you befoe is you have this obsession with Chris Reeve as Superman, to the point that because Brandon doesn't look exactly like him you don't like him.
Every manip you do is based on turning him into an exact replica of CR. you change his hair, you widen his chin and neck, change the color of his eyes and give hinm those cutoff 70's muttonchops. it's really annoying after awhile.

JamalYIgle said:
No, that's where you're mistaken. You want him to be a Chris Reeve lookalike. Singer chose Routh for a reason, had him build himself to a point that hea was happy with. You either accept it as a creative decision or you walk away.
You're problem and I've said this to you befoe is you have this obsession with Chris Reeve as Superman, to the point that because Brandon doesn't look exactly like him you don't like him.
Every manip you do is based on turning him into an exact replica of CR. you change his hair, you widen his chin and neck, change the color of his eyes and give hinm those cutoff 70's muttonchops. it's really annoying after awhile.

Yes, you've seen the movie and have talked to Singer personally, so you can say all of that as a fact, right? Probably not. Judging from the trailer, it's safe to say that Singer chose Routh because of his resemblance, seeing how the entire movie looks like a direct sequel to the old movies. Hmm, Marlon Brando, Spacey imitating Hackman, crystal Fortress, bumbling Clark... I wonder why people think Singer choose Routh because he resembles Reeve... I'm just saying there's more evidence going against your argument there, Mr. Igle....

What a lot of people seem to forget is that Chris Reeve wasn't the perfect transition from comic to film. What I mean is, at the time Superman was drawn a certain way, linework was often less detailed so it was more ambiguous but he had the basic broad qualities a Superman needed to have and his performance was great. To the general populace Chris Reeve IS Superman, and that opinion has been strengthened by subsequent artists being influenced by Reeve's look and tailoring their Superman art to more resemble Chris. Just look at the way John Byrne's Superman looks, I see more than a passing resemblence, and Byrne's Superman in itself inlfuenced a generation of comic readers, Hell I'm 22 now and I essentiall grew up on Byrne's Superman (even with all the problems I have with it) visually at least. It's like retroactive acceptance where the art started to resemble Chris and superman evolved, look at the recent Guedes artwork and tell me what you see. I think people need to understand why they're so hung up on chris, and possibly move on and accpet another actor in the role, because Superman and his message is bigger than any one person and more than anything I'd like to see a movie that sends a positive message out to it's audience, maybe actually affects someone's core beliefs, perhaps helps shape the moral values of a young kid like S:TM did with me way back when. Perhaps I'm naive or idealistic, but the potential power a Superman movie carries with it is more than necksize and an 'S' on the belt, more than action beats or if Lois is married, and it's been said many times, but I find it ironic that fans of a character with such moral integrity, a hero, act like villains.

My stance is that Routh was chosen for his resemblence to reeve(I can't quite see it though. He looks more like tom cruise). He's even wearing blue contacts to try to make his eyes match reeve's. but that's what I'm getting from this film. Fleischer's stuff is another influence with how the world looks, I think.

chi-boy said:
Oh sorry, I thought common sense and the ability to see would be enough. Good artwork though.

GuFaahhhahahahahmwaaahahahahhahahhaaaaaaawhheeeeeezeeeheheheheheeeee!!!

Here, I drew a diagram demonstrating the variations in neck girth. Does this mean I'm qualified to judge neck thickness now???:confused:
neckparody.jpg

If you also look at men's physical shapes back then, they used to be more square. The chin area, shoulders etc. People should take that into consideration when comparing Routh to Reeve. Reeve looked more older because of his jaw shape, its more toned, more square in shape, as are his shoulders. It gives him a more imposing figure. Routh lacks that strong chin. You can see it clearly in the pictures above.

JamalYIgle said:
That's your opinion. I however have a better grasp of Human anatomy, the mans neck isn't thin, if you look at him straight on you can see that.

Sometimes you just sound so conceited it's not even funny. Like somehow you being a dc artist invalidates everyone else's artistic opinion. Seems like you like to toot your own horn every chance you get. It gets annoying.

chi-boy said:
Here, I drew a diagram demonstrating the variations in neck girth. Does this mean I'm qualified to judge neck thickness now???:confused:
neckparody.jpg

No you are not because if you had some common sense anyones neck would look smaller if the the neck line was that high no matter what. It is just common sense and all the talk about it is more ignorance than knowing anything about it at all.

http://www.brandonrouth.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=70&pos=4

That is not a small neck, so please get a clue. It is obvious he built some good trap and shoulders for the film. Think of something else to whine about! Or better yet stop being such an armchair quarterback!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"