Competition for Ghost Rider (The 2007 Version)

WTF? In My Father's Den - May 2006??? Is that re-release or what? :eek:

Hmmm, I'm not sure. It says it's a limited release so perhaps they're opening it up to different markets.

Weird. I see some non-English films have releases stretched out over a couple of years, but for something like In My Father's Den? That's just weird. I ran it early this year and even then that print had done the rounds on the art house circuit by the time I handled it. IMDB lists the title as 2004.

Here's and update on the movies. This of course comes from www.comingsoon.net. The bold ones are new.

The biggest news in this update is "Trust the Man" which now opens on Ghost Rider's weekend. The interesting thing about this is that Eva's in it as well.

------------------------------

May 5
- Mission: Impossible 3
- In the Land of Women

May 12
- The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (limited)
- Poseidon

May 19
- The Da Vinci Code
- Over the Hedge
- See No Evil

May 26
- Johanna (limited)
- X-Men 3
- Little Man
- Confetti (limited)

May TBA
- Freshman Orientation (limited)
- In My Father's Den (limited)
- Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man (limited)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

June 2
- Nacho Libre
- The Break-Up

June 6
- The Omen 666

June 9
- Cars
- A Prairie Home Companion

June 16
- Pathfinder
- Fast and Furious 3: Tokyo Drift

June 23
- Garfield 2
- Click
- Volver (NY, LA)

June 30
- Superman Returns
- The Devil Wears Prada

June TBA
- The Mostly Unfabulous Social Life of Ethan Green (limited)
- Poster Boy (limited)

July 7
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

July 14
- Ghost Rider
- School for Scoundrels
- Super Ex-Girlfriend
- You, Me and Dupree
- Trust the Man

July 21
- Lady in the Water
- Monster House

July 28
- Miami Vice
- Flicka

July TBA
- Race You to the Bottom (limited)
- Unconscious (limited)

----------------------------------------------------

August 4
- The Ant Bully
- High, Wide and Handsome

August 11
- The Return of Zoom
- Untitled World Trade Center Project
- The Visiting

August 18
- Snakes on a Plane
- The Messengers
- Swap Meet (limited)

August 25
- Yankee Irving
- How to Eat Fried Worms
- DOA Dead or Alive

August TBA
- Stormbreaker

----------------------------------------------------

September 1
- Untitled Supernatural Thriller

September 8
- The Covenant

September 15
- Gridiron Gang

September 22
- Running with Scissors
- Grindhouse
- For Your Consideration (limited)
- Jackass 2

September 29
- Open Season
- The Children of Men

September TBA
- Queens (limited)
--------------------------------------------------

Ugh! River Queen's not on there yet.

Writer/Director: Vincent Ward
Starring: Smantha Morton, Kiefer Sutherland, Cliff Curtis, Temuera Morrison

Come on comingsoon.net. Get yer poo together!

Whats terrible for GR in POTC2 will atleast make 50 million secont weekend,I look for GR to make about 20mill.

I think Ghost Rider will make more than $20 million. There is room for two big event type pics...though Pirates will hurt the film's opening.

Oh and $20 million is terrible because Ghost Rider is a $100 million dollar plus tentople film for Sony.

Kuato said:
Oh and $20 million is terrible because Ghost Rider is a $100 million dollar plus tentople film for Sony.
Which says nothing to the question of why Pirates "making" 50 million is terrible as opposed to Ghost Rider's predictably more modest intake. :confused:

*hands Kuato some coffee beans*

As for box office grosses I wouldn't worry about it. GR is the kind of story that does ok on the big screen, but really does well in DVD figures. It's not like people on the SHH boards have much clue about B.O. gross anyway. :(

Maybe I am not understanding...

Pirates 2 grossing $50 million in its second weekend would be great...for Disney, but would hamper GR's Box Office take which would be terrible...for GR fans.

Kuato said:
Maybe I am not understanding...

Pirates 2 grossing $50 million in its second weekend would be great...for Disney, but would hamper GR's Box Office take which would be terrible...for GR fans.
I disagree. It would only be terrible for box office fans who also think highly of Ghost Rider. Ghost Rider fans on the other hand will generally be more concerned with whether or not they enjoy the movie.

There are Box Office Fans?

Seriously though I agree that the film's quality is the most important thing yet if you are a GR fan and the film turns out to be quite good as many of suspect it will(or at least hope) then the film's box office potential is something that should have their interest. If the film turns out great but gets buried by POTC 2 that she certainly be a terrible thing in the minds of GR fans everywhere.

Like I said I think GR will survive POTC just fine anyway and that quality comes first...but who doesn't want to The Rider kick some Box Office Ass? I mean if the film is good and you truly like the character then you would have to realize that a $20 million opening would be quite damaging for GR as a film property.

Kuato said:
There are Box Office Fans?
I'd say about half of the SHH board members qualify. Read around for a while and you'll soon see numbskull after numbskull obsessing over whether or not something "won" at the box office like the whole thing is some giant spectator sport. Then there's the flipside where you get people like me taking a professional interest in gauging a movie's comparative earnings for approximations of viewer popularity etc. Somewhere in between there's also a bunch of debaters trying to figure out how profitable indivdual titles are and supplying inaccurate data to justify the likelihood of sequels.
Seriously though I agree that the film's quality is the most important thing yet if you are a GR fan and the film turns out to be quite good as many of suspect it will(or at least hope) then the film's box office potential is something that should have their interest. If the film turns out great but gets buried by POTC 2 that she certainly be a terrible thing in the minds of GR fans everywhere.
Again with the "terrible". Aside from the unlikely senario of POTC "burying" GR in the first place the whole argument of people taking an interest in a movie's financial performance to the point where a globally bad income is percieved as a terrible thing is just outright laughable. People go to movies and enjoy it or not as the case may be, but most audiences don't give a rat's arse about that movie's balance sheets at Sony or MGM or wherever.
Like I said I think GR will survive POTC just fine anyway and that quality comes first...but who doesn't want to The Rider kick some Box Office Ass?
I like every film to do well. Ghost Rider is incidental.
I mean if the film is good and you truly like the character then you would have to realize that a $20 million opening would be quite damaging for GR as a film property.
No I don't realize that and really couldn't care about North American opening weekends. I liked the character as a comicbook and hopefully I'll like GR the movie also. That's my concern as a fan. Where I express concerns over the financial state of movies has more to do with the simple fact that I earn a living out of them.

Warblade I see where you are coming from but can't say that I agree...which is OK because that's what boards like these are for. My personal enjoyment of the film will not be affected by the box office gross one way or the other...but I really hope it makes a large quantity of cash at the box office. I agree that the average moviegoers don't care how much bank any given film makes, but then again the most of us are more than your average casual filmgoer no?

Though I can't see your having virtually no interest in GR's eventual box office take from anything more than a professional interest or even the ability to admit that should GR open in only the $20 million dollar range that would be considered a letdown at least as far as Sony/Box Office Pundits are concerned...but really this is like going in circles so...Peace, Love and July 14.:ghost:

The only thing that will be competing with GR on that weekend is Super Ex. Other than that there isn't much competition. Pirates will probably do more than it for the month though. It looks like the 14th is getting busy.

Kuato said:
Though I can't see your having virtually no interest in GR's eventual box office take from anything more than a professional interest or even the ability to admit that should GR open in only the $20 million dollar range that would be considered a letdown at least as far as Sony/Box Office Pundits are concerned...but really this is like going in circles so...Peace, Love and July 14.:ghost:
My lack of interest in opening weekends stems from it being purely a North American phenomenon that those figures come from. It's a worthless percentage of a noteworthy percentage of a very useful total to me and given the starkly contrasting tastes between American audiences and others North American "opening weekend" figures aren't much use as an early indicator here. So no, the opening weekend will not be a let down. I won't even bother with it at all.

As for the total gross, I'll take an interest insofar as acknowledging the number as a comparison and maybe seeing how well it stacks up in audience attendance against similar vehicles like Constantine and Hellboy, but I don't see how I'm going to be emotionally involved with the figures. They're just numbers.

In somebody else's pocket.

But as I alluded to earlier I hope it does well as I hope every movie does well, because without some measure success in the film industry I'd be looking for a new job.

So, much like the 2006 version of this thread, I'll update this every so often with the movies that'll be competing with Ghost Rider. If you're not familiar with the 2006 version (http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172211) I post the released dates of movies coming out 2 months before and 2 months after the month Ghost Rider is released in (Feb).

Here's the first. This, like always, comes from www.comingsoon.net. The bold ones are new.

DEC 2006

December 15
- Eragon
- The Pursuit of Happyness

December 20
- Charlotte's Web

December 22
- Dreamgirls
- The Good Shepherd
- Night at the Museum

December 25
- Arthur and the Minimoys

December TBA
- Meet the Robinsons
- Skinwalkers

JAN 2007

- Nothing Yet

FEB 2007

February 9
- Rocky Balboa

February 16
- Ghost Rider

MAR 2007

March TBA
- Mongol

APR 2007

- Nothing Yet

Heh, Ghost Rider vs Rocky Balboa....there's a visual I can honestly say I've never had before :D

Here's the first. This, like always, comes from www.comingsoon.net. The bold ones are new.

DEC 2006

December 15
- Eragon
- The Pursuit of Happyness

December 20
- Charlotte's Web

December 22
- Dreamgirls
- The Good Shepherd
- Night at the Museum

December 25
- Arthur and the Minimoys

December TBA
- Meet the Robinsons
- Skinwalkers

JAN 2007

- Nothing Yet

FEB 2007

February 9
- Rocky Balboa

February 16
- Ghost Rider

MAR 2007

March TBA
- Mongol

APR 2007

- Nothing Yet

2007 TBA

- The Blood Diamond
- I Am Legend
- Monkey's Paw
- Next
- Prom Night
- Resident Evil 4
- Tripoli

Not much of an update. Just wanted to add the TBA's for 2007 to the list.

i really, REALLY hope whoever is doing I am Legend does a good job.
ive been waiting to see a faithful film adaption of it for years

monkey's paw is another one too....hope they dont screw it up

Warner Bros are doing I am Legend. I know little other than that without checking IMDB, which is useless most times anyway.

Monkey's Paw was a great movie back in the day and I'm sure the remake will be as interesting. Hopefully anyway.

Resident Evil 4? Was there a 3rd one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"