"Conan the Barbarian" TV Series in development for Netflix

As I recall, isn't Conan filled with very strong and fierce women? Women who live life by their own code and on their own terms. Yeah, Conan is Conan, but I mean...if that's not what you want, don't make a REH Conan series. Thematically, Conan is a "noble savage."

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

I think you can get plenty of social commentary out of that and also stories like Red Nails.

Or females showing male warriors how to handle an axe.

They'll have strong females which is fine. Women make up half the tv audience so is understandable they would want them interested. Just as long as it fits with the story should be fine.

Again, the Conan stories are rife with strong female characters, who are also strong willed and independently minded. Not sure if today's vocal social media crowd will accept it without complaining with incessant hashtags, but whatever.

My main concern with productions like Conan - they require plenty of money for set designs. Matte paintings isn't an issue these days, because you can grab any location, set the green screen and draw an elaborate fortress raising on the horizon. But interiors is the real issue. Even gritty stuff like Game of Thrones has massive budgets. It's probably the biggest obstacle. Will Amazon go for this? Only as an alternative to Netflix's Witcher and HBO's Game of Thrones spin-offs.

Again, the Conan stories are rife with strong female characters, who are also strong willed and independently minded. Not sure if today's vocal social media crowd will accept it without complaining with incessant hashtags, but whatever.

People have never had a problem with strong female characters or warriors. As long as they are not shoe horned in or they are not made to look good by making the male characters look bad it should be fine.

Valeria was very nice.

f569a6722c4be3ed2ab24bdbdadc8a63.jpg

Probably inspired Divada from my beloved 90s obscurity WeaponLord:

WeaponLord_06_Divada.gif

Nice pic of Sandahl....hadn't seen it before.

Someone at Home | The Swords of Robert E. Howard suggested Joel Kinnaman(Robocop, Altered Carbon) for the title role, citing Kinnaman's resemblance to Conan in the video game Conan Exiles. I'd be very on board with this choice.

skpwoKYw_o.png

Conan-Cinematic-vfx-breakdown-by-BL%C3%84CK-1.jpg

conoce-al-guapisimo-protagonista-de-altered-carbon.jpg

Conan+face.jpg

I like Kinnaman and Altered Carbon proved he can get jacked enough for Conan but something about him just feels... off for this role. I like him a lot but Conan just doesn't feel like a fit. He'd probably be better than Momoa though, who was just awful (and that surprised me because I liked him a lot in GoT). Momoa might have done okay with a decent script and director though.

My main concern with productions like Conan - they require plenty of money for set designs. Matte paintings isn't an issue these days, because you can grab any location, set the green screen and draw an elaborate fortress raising on the horizon. But interiors is the real issue. Even gritty stuff like Game of Thrones has massive budgets. It's probably the biggest obstacle. Will Amazon go for this? Only as an alternative to Netflix's Witcher and HBO's Game of Thrones spin-offs.

Matte-paintings for the win. :) Man I hate that weird lighting discrepancy you get with greenscreen, no matter how well it's done it just rings really false somehow. You can do less with matte-work, sure, but you also don't get that weird videogame sheen on everything.

Moot point though, they'll CG it up the wazoo, it's 2018.

Matte-paintings for the win. :) Man I hate that weird lighting discrepancy you get with greenscreen, no matter how well it's done it just rings really false somehow. You can do less with matte-work, sure, but you also don't get that weird videogame sheen on everything.

Moot point though, they'll CG it up the wazoo, it's 2018.
CGI backgrounds can't compare with constructed sets. At least at the moment. Blockbuster productions opt for that because they can instantly change envinronments and effect without reshooting a scene. It's especially important for franchises like MCU because of incredibly tight schedule and heavy FX load. Who knows if they will go for that in Conan. And if it's necessary.

Man, this thread really reignited my desire for a proper high-quality sword&sorcery film. It's been so long...

CGI backgrounds can't compare with constructed sets. At least at the moment. Blockbuster productions opt for that because they can instantly change envinronments and effect without reshooting a scene. It's especially important for franchises like MCU because of incredibly tight schedule and heavy FX load. Who knows if they will go for that in Conan. And if it's necessary.

Man, this thread really reignited my desire for a proper high-quality sword&sorcery film. It's been so long...

I agree 100%.You can tell the difference.

Who knows with game of thrones bringing tourists to croatia other european countries might give tax breaks to film there.

People have never had a problem with strong female characters or warriors. As long as they are not shoe horned in or they are not made to look good by making the male characters look bad it should be fine.

I guess my point is, I don't want them to drastically change the source material so it's more in line with today's politics and views. If this is really about getting the first pure Robert E Howard vision for the first time, that's what I would like focused on more.

I guess my point is, I don't want them to drastically change the source material so it's more in line with today's politics and views. If this is really about getting the first pure Robert E Howard vision for the first time, that's what I would like focused on more.

It's not going to be pure the producer said as much. They will have an story arc for the first season and add regular characters. They will probably have a female not because of politics but because half of television viewers are female and they want some of that market.

Female characters, if they're portrayed as warriors, need to have some sturdiness, muscles, so they look convincing with a sword.

Like this:
TheLastofUsPartII_PGW_08.0.jpg

It's not going to be pure the producer said as much. They will have an story arc for the first season and add regular characters. They will probably have a female not because of politics but because half of television viewers are female and they want some of that market.
for those who might have missed it:

Tara: There’s so many ways that you could change the story or contemporise it. Do you want to stay really faithful to what the original stories were or are you finding that in today’s age of big epics that are being made for TV that there were some things that you would like to move around.

Ryan: I think it’s a good blend of both. Conan purists will be very pleased to see that the pilot episode, announced for the first time here, is called the Frost Giant’s daughter, which anybody who follows the saga knows was not the first story that Howard published, but it is the earliest story in Conan’s life. He’s basically just left Cimmeria and is running around as a mercenary with this viking band of warriors called the Aesir.

The Conan stories were first published out of order. The first story published was a King Conan story so it’s late in his career. I’ve put them back in order and the idea is to tell Conan’s story over the time of his life. We’ve done a particular thing structurally that I think makes it interesting. It’s hewing close to the spirit of Conan in the stories, but I’ve also introduced a more serial element to tie everything together and keep it going. I would say it’s half very, very faithful to the stories and then there’s a bunch of new stuff that we’ve done for the TV show. But it’s very faithful to the spirit of the Howard Conan character.

People have a problem with everything now.

Not sure what this means, but there are rumors that the Amazon Conan series is now cancelled. Color me disappointed as this was the first Conan the Barbarian project I was excited about in years.

If it is dead at Amazon, maybe another outfit can pick it up and rescue it.

That's a shame if true.

Seem that Netflix would rather focus on The Witcher, oh well..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"