Connecting Legion to the XCU

Discussion in 'Legion' started by pr0xyt0xin, Feb 14, 2017.

1. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

So there's been conflicting reports about whether the show is or is not apart of the larger X-Men film universe. Here's some quotes from a few of the crew:

http://mashable.com/2016/10/09/legion-fx-x-men-movies-professor-xavier/#wd50CPJoHqqy

There's already theories about David's powers providing a potential explanation for multiple parallel timelines, and the devil with the yellow eyes [BLACKOUT]being Mojo and the show being a reality TV show of sorts.[/BLACKOUT]

Just wanted a thread to discuss and keep track of clues to this mystery.

2. Weather Witch

Weather Witch Well-Known Member

At least for now this is my favorite theory out there as far as connecting Legion and the XCU goes. I also think Melanie's place might include some of the X-Men props they brought in for Legion. Going to keep an eye out for those. Though I'm not really sure what to expect. :woot:

3. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Well-Known Member

The show at least this season could mostly be in david's head.

4. Superhero 101

That'd be cool if that theory holds true

5. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

Its not connected to the film series. I think watching the pilot, it was very clear. Any future suggestion that is connected is probably just the show trying to pay homageto the films.

6. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

I have a theory that this show takes place in the original timeline between X3 and The Wolverine (approx 2008-2013).

- One point is David's dad dying while he was at Clockworks. IF by some chance they are referring to Xavier, then it most definitely has to be the X3 event (and maybe mutants like Syd's body swapping powers are involved in his resurrection).
    - Another point is all this talk about the "divisions." And Bird says "those they can't control, they kill." These could be early hints at the events of Days of Future Past's dystopian future.

Now, 3 episodes in, this is barely a hypothesis. Just getting the cogs turning.

7. chelo248

chelo248 Well-Known Member

[YT]nsmTReftEt8[/YT]​

8. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Well-Known Member

Saw this earlier this afternoon, and while Legion takes place in what looks like an alternative universe, I'm still curious about time. We know that work on Summerland started in the 1940s and started, I think, a few decades later. Coupled with aesthetics, this show could place in the 1970s, maybe, so couldn't the door also be open for McAvoy's Charles to appear? But then, this being an alternate world, it probably doesn't matter.

9. Superhero 101

Well wouldn't that be nice if he would to appear

10. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson apparently words go here, I guess

If P-Stew wants in, you find a way to make it work

Even if it's for a second

11. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

****ing fantastic news. I want this very much.

12. S. Grundy

S. Grundy Well-Known Member

McAvoy would be too expensive. Stewart is a possibility.

13. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

So now that it's been (essentially) confirmed Xavier is his father, we have the first... "tie-in" to the movies. Not that it's a direct connection, but to my knowledge they haven't mentioned or hinted at any other characters/events that appear in the films.

IF the show is in the same universe, there are three options:
    1. This show takes place in the original timeline before DoFP
    2. This show takes place in the revised timeline after Apocalypse
    3. This show takes place in a third timeline.

Only time will tell if there's a logical placement for the show in the established universe.

14. Smilodon

Smilodon Well-Known Member

They're not going to set it in some alternate or pre-DOFP timeline at this point. Legion is in the X-verse, it's just a matter of when (it's most likely in the present day, depending on if Ptonomy's past is real) and 'where' considering we don't know how much is truly real. There's one conflicting aspect - such as Hawley saying that mutants aren't all that well known in Legion's world.

But I'm fairly certain the finale will give us the whole truth. Perhaps it's connected to what the Shadow King was searching for in the recesses of his mind - or they'll just move along in the X-verse without a strict explanation - this show doesn't have to necessarily follow traditional narrative conventions.

15. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Legion has a odd retro look. A lot of the design and fashion in the show is very sixties/seventies and there isn't much contemporary looking technology. I don't recall seeing smart phones, tablets, modern cars or flat screen TVs in the show. I think it is primarily a stylistic choice but also as a opening if they do want to set Legion in the X-Men film universe as it is set in no specific time period.

16. Smilodon

Smilodon Well-Known Member

Division Three has modern weapons and tablets in the pilot and Melanie also had a holographic watch-kinda thing she uses to communicate with Cary a few episodes back. It was deliberately ambiguous but now there seems to be a few hints at where it might atually be.

17. David H.

David H. Well-Known Member

So... it's all taking place between the end of DoFP and Logan?

For the most part I imagine each X-Movie takes place in its own universe and I've been applying that rule to this.

18. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

HA! you might not have meant this as a joke, but i find it humorous. :D It's true, x-men continuity sucks. But time-travelers and omnipotents (like David) are the reason we could find some method to the madness.

I'm personally still under the impression this one fits in the original timeline.

.............................O:W > X1 > X2 > X3 > Legion > TW > DoFP :-)csad:)
    .........................../
    O:W > FC > DoFP
    ...........................\
    ............................Apocalypse > Dark Phoenix > Deadpool > DoFP :-)yay:) > The Gifted > Logan

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  19. GuestStar2004

GuestStar2004 Well-Known Member

Noah Hawley talks Xavier

20. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Well-Known Member

it's probally set in present day of post DOFP timeline.

since Haller is on show david's adopted family the question is also who was david's mother on show.ultimate X-Men had moira as his mother so could xavier and moira post apocalypse conceived and had david.and then Xavier felt it would be better for david's shake for him to be raised away from his world.

21. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson apparently words go here, I guess

Set in post DOFP where the Logan storyline doesn't take place/end up being the endgame, at least thats how I see it.

Not even gonna try to justify my reasoning because the continuity is, well..... you all know by now.

22. Shoppy

Shoppy Well-Known Member

1 - The first two Wolverine films and maybe First Class fit okay into the timeline of the original trilogy. (and you can throw in Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four and FF: Rise Of The Silver Surfer)

2 - LOGAN is a slightly different timeline where, in parallel with the dialogue about comics in the movie, about a quarter of what we have seen in the XCU happened.

3 - LEGION ia a different timeline again.

4 - A - DOFP original future (which is preceded by First Class and then Mystique assassinating Trask in 1973)
    4 - B - Altered 1973 in DOFP leading to timeline that includes, APOCALYPSE (80s), next X-men movie ("Supernova") (90s), DEADPOOL (2010s) and future movies (Deadpool 2, X-Force, New Mutants?)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  23. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

James McAvoy would cost more than Sir Patrick Stewart? :huh:

24. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I can see how that would avoid a lot of headaches! :funny:

25. Syncos

Syncos ROFLICIOUS

The comic books were more akin to Marvel comic books, with Wolverine in bright yellow spandex, and the stories being largely made up.

I took the line in the movie to mean that things happened the way we saw them in the X-Men movies, but only about a quarter of that made it into the comics.