Contest Of Marvels Discussion Thread

Some locations will be vague and others detailed. I figured I'd leave it open this week and let people fight anywhere in NYC so they could let their imaginations run free. Don't worry, not all weeks are going to be so vague.

powderman said:
By the way do you think we should continue with more matches per thread? It seems (at least this first round) there is a lot of ownerless characters.

The problem would be that some people have numerous characters in a given week. For example, Sparta had six characters this week. I think to add more matches might even make that situation potentially worse.

What people can do though is take the ownerless characters and try to find ways in which they might win to advance them. Especially if you notice a character who is ownerless might advance and face one of your characters in the next round. Now, that would be a strategy! "I don't want to face Thanos in the second round; so, I'm going to find a way to make Beak advance.")

Hmmm, JH, if you want to argue an ownerless character, do they have to be battling another ownerless character?

For now I'll say ownerless characters are free for debating,... but if it seems that everyone is debating for this character and teaming up against an owner I may put a stop to it or limit that match for that week. But for now if you see an ownerless character, yes you can debate.

From Thread 1.

It has come t my attention that once we vote we possibly wont be able to edit or change our votes. If thats the rule then ill stick by it but if nothing is decided then i would like to vote against that. First i think that this is a tournament on who we want to win. If a person has posted but then decides that the other character would in fact win then i think its fair that they should be able to change it. Its not for the person being able to convince me to change my vote but for the voter who should be able to vote for who they would actually want to win.

Also a question about debating. Do we only have until Monday to debate or until voting has finished. Again i think that it should be until voting has finished. For example if a person has a lot of matches in a given week and decides one isnt as important as the others as he thinks they're bound to win but then sees that the votes are actually against him, he should be able to take more time to argue his point. I think people should given the chance to convince others of there character and it could lead to a more exciting and fun tournament.

Personally, I think you shouldn't be able to change your vote at all, once it's cast.
All one has to do is show a little self control and not vote immediately when voting is opened. Just relax and do a little research on the characters before you vote, and think things over. It's as simple as that.

Yeah, you could do that, but why should you have to?

Because you should know the facts before you vote. That way you know who would actually win and won't just be voting by name only. And, if you can't demonstrate a little self control, it's nobody's fault but your own if you rush and cast your vote immediately once voting begins.

The fact that you want to change your vote proves that you have put thought into it. If i'm not mistaken you have to vote for every match in the thread. Well I personally dont know even the basics about some characters let alone their histories, past battles, changes in powers. If there hasnt been a lot of debating I may be forced to vote for name only. If something comes to my attention that might change that I would at least like the option of being able to change my vote. Voting for who we think would win is what this tournament is about isnt it and if i or anybody had made a rash decision I still dont know understand why we have to be punished for it?

Nightwolf said:
From Thread 1.

It has come t my attention that once we vote we possibly wont be able to edit or change our votes. If thats the rule then ill stick by it but if nothing is decided then i would like to vote against that. First i think that this is a tournament on who we want to win. If a person has posted but then decides that the other character would in fact win then i think its fair that they should be able to change it. Its not for the person being able to convince me to change my vote but for the voter who should be able to vote for who they would actually want to win.

Also a question about debating. Do we only have until Monday to debate or until voting has finished. Again i think that it should be until voting has finished. For example if a person has a lot of matches in a given week and decides one isnt as important as the others as he thinks they're bound to win but then sees that the votes are actually against him, he should be able to take more time to argue his point. I think people should given the chance to convince others of there character and it could lead to a more exciting and fun tournament.

This is definitely a JH decision. But, the problem with changing votes is that it could lead to possible errors. Right now, it's very simple to go through the posts and tally up who got votes. If people started changing votes, though, there would be quite a bit of having to go back and forth, seeing who really voted for whom. And, as some races are very tight, we could create more animosity between participants. (For example, even though I thought Elektra faired an excellent chance of beating Cap, if people started changing their vote, the owner of Cap might get a bit upset seeing his former victory turned into defeat. It's not too hard to see your character lose when people think he/she would in a normal fight, but it wouldn't be as easy if you felt like it was stolen from you.

As for debating, once Saturday and Sunday are over, I believe the debates are open for everyone, right? This is your chance to put in your two cents and be heard. (Yet, the problem is that even if you are debating, most people have already made up their mind and voted.)

Phaed

Ok Here are my thoughts

1. I don't think votes should be changed. You have the opportunity to vote anytime until the end of voting to make your decision. You can do research if you feel unsure of the debate process (if any). I take into effect the debating STRONGLY. But if I am not convinced, than it's not enough. I also feel that names are pulling a strong sway towards the voting, but it's difficult to tell with some of the matches having no debating.

2. As well, I think we should have a set debating period. ie. Saturday 12:01 am - Sunday 11:59 or even Monday at 11:59. Do we really need almost 3 full days for voting? This will leave more time to argue your points. As well I think once the voting has started there should not be any mention about points that could sway votes because there is a debating period set for that. As well we should not mention anything in owner matches this could again sway votes and might leave it open for people to gain up on someone. Person 1: We forgot about "___________", Person 2: Yes that's right because ____________". Person 3: I see what you mean because "______________". So as we said previously the debating should be between the owners. If they are both ownerless maybe leave a bit of flexibility to that.

3. If we allow debating after the voting process has started than someone can put all their points at the end, and possibly get the advantage because some people might only read the last couple of posts.

4. I agree with Phaedrus, I would hate to be happyone day because my guy is winning 8-4 then the next day 3 people change their mind and it's 7-5 for my opponent.

Nightwolf said:
The fact that you want to change your vote proves that you have put thought into it. If i'm not mistaken you have to vote for every match in the thread. Well I personally dont know even the basics about some characters let alone their histories, past battles, changes in powers. If there hasnt been a lot of debating I may be forced to vote for name only. If something comes to my attention that might change that I would at least like the option of being able to change my vote. Voting for who we think would win is what this tournament is about isnt it and if i or anybody had made a rash decision I still dont know understand why we have to be punished for it?
Wanting to change one's votes does not prove that someone put thought into it. It proves the person was impetuous and couldn't wait another day or so until all the facts are in, or could not take five minutes of their time to actually research the characters a bit for themselves. There's tons of sites out there with info on all kinds of comic characters, it's not that hard to take a few minutes and compare the combatant's experience and/or abilities. Especially since there are links to a bio for each character already.

Even still, here's a list of sites in which you can find bios for the characters in this thing:

Marvel Appendix
Marvel Villains
Marvel Directory
Dr. Strange Site
Comixfan Board
Spider-Bob (Marvel Index)
Thor Site
Classic MU RPG Site
Silver Surfer Site
X-Men Site

Between all those sites, anyone should be able to glean info on pretty much every character in this thing. :up:

Not to mention that, as Phaedrus touched on, changing votes can lead to a lot of bitterness between posters as well as arguments.

Ok, well after this post I think I'll wait for JH decision but i will say that I thought this tournament was more about the characters than the people behind them. If you have changed your mind on which character you think should win then I think that you should be allowed to show that in your vote.

Yes, it is more about the characters than the posters. As such, people should take time and think things through to make sure they do the character's justice and make the right decision instead of voting impulsively.

Okay... here's my opinion. There is to be NO changing of votes... once the vote is placed it is final. If I learn of anyone going back and editing their vote there will be punishment for the action. This doesn't make it more about the posters than the characters at all because all votes should be thought through, not quickly thrown out there. If you think there may still be some arguments to read then don't vote until you feel your mind is made up. If this means waiting until the last minute to vote then wait until the last minute.

Now since some people do not want to wait before voting,.. and because I can see the point in the 3 day voting period being too long I will rearange the schedual. I will post this in the first post of each thread so if you have any questions beyond this point refur to it there. But it will be as followed:

All matches will begin late Friday night (when Phaed is able to get them up). From this moment on debating will ensue. It will continue through until the end of the match on Wednesday.

Voting will be pushed back to Tuesday at 6:00pm my time and will end on Wednesday night between 10:00 and 11:00 pm. (I'd put a more detailed time but my availability varies). Any votes posted at this point are final,.. DO NOT CHANGE THEM! If you wish to read all arguments before voting,.. do so. Even if it means you vote last minute. Be patient, otherwise I don't want to hear complaining.

I hope this clears up this mess and if not then ask away and I'll try to help further.

Everything sounds about right where I would expect them JH.

Lol you seem a bit agitated. These questions aren't getting you too wounded up, are they?

Just go get your LOTR mug and put some 5 star whiskey and mix in some Sussex Gingerale and all your worries should vannish...that or at least you have a good drink...

Ok, that seems fair enough and no hard fellings. I look forward to debating with you guys for real :).

Nah,.. questions don't bother me. Got some other stuff off-line that's got me a little annoyed. The questioning was actually reasonable and I do apologize if it sounded rude or negative, I didn't mean to make it like so.

No problem I knew you didn't sound the same.....I hope whatever it is, works itself out ;)

so are the final scores in and when does the next round start?

also is there gonna be a little table drawn up showing who got through to the next round?then people outside of the tournament can follow the progress of the matches.

Here are some of the stats:

Stepford Cuckoos 13-1 over Shard
Doc. Octopus 8-6 over Diablo
Cassandra Nova 11-2 over Blade
Drax 12-1 over Quicksilver
Enchantress 14-0 over Ikaris
Goblin Queen 14-0 over Radius
Reaper 7-6 over Fenris
Carnage 9-4 over Sage
Sunfire 9-4 over Penance
Speedball 7-6 over Mondo
Callisto 12-1 over Jubilee
Kristoff 9-4 over Dagger
Valkyrie 11-2 over U.S. Agent
Nighthawk 8-5 over Medusa
Cap. America 10-3 over Elektra
Hydro-Man 12-1 over Tigra

So, when round 2 comes in 32 weeks, these character will be facing off:

Stepford Cuckoos vs. Enchantress
Doc. Octopus vs. Goblin Queen
Cassandra Nova vs. Reaper
Drax vs. Carnage
Sunfire vs. Valkyrie
Speedball vs. Nighthawk
Callisto vs. Cap. America
Kristoff vs. Hydro-Man

In the win column, these people had characters who moved on:

Powderman - 3 characters
Sparta - 2 characters
Blaze - 2 characters
JH - 2 characters
Harlekin - 1 character
Victor - 1 character
Wolverine - 1 character
Nightwolf - 1 character
Spiderman - 1 character

In the loss column, these people had characters who got eliminated:

Sparta - 4 characters
Victor - 1 character
Blaze - 1 character
Harlekin - 1 character
Wolverine - 1 character

OK, start thinking about Saturday for debating. And, in order for those people involved to prepare, I am going to PM on Thursday, giving everyone a chance to start to think of their strategies.
Phaed

:( I don't have anyone. Oh well, I guess I will debate the ownerless matches.

Ouch poor Sparta!

And to answer your question Nightwing. I do plan on eventually making a bracket for the tournament,.. I just haven't had time lately. I'll post it here probably in the first thread when I do. I'll let you guys know.

"wicked nice".... you british people are so funny with your little language :D

hey thats not british.you will notice i stole that from the ever so funny Adam Sandler from the film 'Mr.Deeds'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"