coronavirus/Job market

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by spiderman2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. spiderman2 Registered

So i know that we have a coronavirus thread but like how we have a thread to talk about its impact on like tv/film i thought a thread to talk about like how this is/could effect the job market would be a good idea. I have been trying to find a new job for like 7 years and 8 months and have not been able to find one. I am wondering do you think i should just wait right now or keep on looking? I am hoping it will be easier to find jobs after this then it has been before has before it seems impossible.

2. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

So you’ve been unemployed for the last 7 years?

Holiday likes this.
  3. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

You should use this time to learn new skills, especially if it gets to the place that you have to stay at home and can't even work at a grocery store. Many people are binge watching TV, but that's not really making the best of this time. It's better to do an online course that opens up your job opportunities. Also, watch some YouTube videos on searching for jobs in a Coronavirus-hit market.

4. spiderman2 Registered

No but i hate my job and its causing me extreme depression and anxiety to the point where i have suicide thoughts on like a daily basics and between working and looking for work i fill like i have no free time and no life. Have been living on like no sleep for years to has a result. I just want to quite but i don't have another job lined up and got to have money for food, rent etc of course.

5. spiderman2 Registered

Because of what is going on right now i think it may take longer to maybe here back from employees but at the same time i think more job's are doing interviews over the computer, and that might be good for me has i am so desperate for a new job that i have started looking out of state, and doing a interview over the computer may make it easier to do then having to travel a far distance for a interview and having to find a time that works for you with traveling there.

6. Detective Conan Registered

I totally know what it feels like to be stuck in a dead end job that you despise, as well as feeling the dark depression that comes about from it, but my advice is to keep looking but try to change the way you look for employment. You can also try what @Dark Raven suggested and use whatever free time you have to learn a new skill. Taking a few classes online could be quite helpful in that regard.

By the way, what other job do you think you would be suitable for? Do you have any experience beyond working in a grocery store?

Though I won’t lie, I think it’s a little odd that you haven’t been able to land a job despite actively looking for over seven years, but I don’t know where or how you’ve been applying or what experience you have beyond working in a grocery store. Not passing judgement, of course, just find it...a little unusual. Either way, I hope things work out for you, man. Don’t give up. :up:

#6 Detective Conan, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Flash525 likes this.
  7. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

This is a useful YouTube channel to watch on job searching. There are many others like that out there.

Work It Daily

Here are some videos from it

8. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

At this point, and I'll be blunt, people are taking what they can. No time to be picky with the way the market is now.

9. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

10. Holiday https://joebiden.info/

I've been thinking about going back to my old job at a grocery until my current employer opens production again. I actually expect a layoff anyway so might be best to get ahead of it. I'm also looking at jobs on Craigslist that I might be interested in, construction mostly.

11. spiderman2 Registered

Just seems like so many jobs want you to have either experience or school or both and i fell like even before this whole virus thing the job market was not good. I have been on indeed for years and so many jobs i have applied for have like 100 people or so who are also applying. So just to much competition and if that many people are applying some one is bound to have more experience or education or both. Just this year i have applied for like 105 jobs and gotten 1 interview the rest i either got rejection emails or nothing. The 1 interview i had went well but didn't get the job. Even getting a interview seems almost impossible now days. I got my AA in mass communications in December and the only reason i even did school in the first place was to try to stand out more.

I don't have much experience just have my AA like i said and i fell like i have tried ever thing. Have been on indeed for years, have went around town and applied for jobs at many places. I have had my resume looked at several times and even went to a place that is supposed to help you get a job and never heard back from them.

Took a look not sure what i can take from those.

You know i am very desperate but at the same time i don't really want to settle because with all the time and stuff i have done to try to find a new job i want a next job to be a good one because if i ever find a new job i think i am done and going to just stick there forever has i don't have the patience to go threw all this crap again and how time consuming it is trying to find a job.

What is your current employer? I have looked on craigslist some for jobs not sure how good it is compared to like indeed or linkedin though.

12. Detective Conan Registered

What kinds of jobs did you apply for?
    Like a Staffing Agency? Those have been mostly kind of useless from my experience. Either way, don’t give up and never forget you’re not alone.

#12 Detective Conan, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  13. Detective Conan Registered

Finding a job, especially now is hard and the difficulty of finding one can make one depressed. Hopefully these videos can be helpful to your self-esteem.

#13 Detective Conan, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Dark Raven likes this.
  14. Holiday https://joebiden.info/

We build recreational vehicles. I got a message today that production would run again the 14th but not on the line I work because sales are down and that it would be maybe two weeks longer for us. I've been wanting a change so going to take this as an opportunity to do so.

Jobs on Craigslist in my area are usually seasonal or part time. Painters helper, construction, cleaners, property maintenance, retail merchandiser etc.. I use Indeed too as well as Snagajob in the past.

15. Calvin Muchas smooches

There’s always sales.

16. Rayhow Registered

I think corona virus will stay with us and we have to learn to cope and keep living with it. When it comes to finding a job, you should work on your resume. Show some samples of your work. You have to prove that you deserve the job you are applying for.

Be sure to use jobsite, farfarjob and monster – they circulate your CV around more agencies that you can even think of.

Make sure you update the CV posting on these sites every couple of weeks as new cvs get by far the most attention

#16 Rayhow, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  17. Mandon Knight This means something to those who believe....

Its very hard currently to find a job which doesn't require contact with people regarding the virus, I work from home already so hasn't altered my work pattern at all, good luck everyone.

18. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Massage therapist? :o