Coronavirus outbreak

How many Covid diagnoses are false positives? | The Spectator

A related article to my previous post...

Please be aware I am not trying to downplay anything about what is going on, but if what Dr. Michael Yeardon and Prof. Carl Heneghan are saying has merit. Then what the hell does it mean going forward...?
I know someone who had a false COVID test. They got tested, it came back positive but they also had a second, different test done that was supposedly faster and that came back negative the next day. Because of that everyone they knew had to get tested. They all came back negative. Every single person (5 in total) they came into contact with.

So yes, false positives are definitely real but still take precautions anyways. No one had any symptoms and asymptomatic is a thing we were all aware of. These tests are not the most reliable but at least they give you some idea of how prevalent it is. Repeated tests are important given the false positive/false negative odds though.

@Teelie
Oh yeah, I am basically behaving as if the test result is correct and I have been infected by my partner. After all, sharing is caring or so I am told!
The issue we have is that this positive result was from a swab taken on the 31st of August and we did not get the result back for that one until the 16th of September!

And my partner has had two further tests, September 15th and then the 18th (we pushed for that one) and still no results from those.
So, that means, if that earlier test result was correct, we have been wandering around for 15 days with at least one of us, potentially both of us being infectious... That's not to say we do not take all the necessary precautions when I have had to go out, because I do.

As my partner works in a care home, she does not even go out anywhere apart from work, because she is so worried about catching Covid-19 at work and unknowingly transmitting it. All the other staff members are dumbstruck that my other half caught it as she is the most cautious person at her work.

But how the hell are we supposed to do the right thing, i.e. self isolation, when we can't even get our test results in a timely manner? :argh:

The slow speed the test results are returned is a real problem. They are not very useful if the infectious window comes and goes while you are waiting for results. Taking a week let alone two or three weeks to get results back is useless. You might as well just assume you have it and not bother with the test if it is going to take that long.

The person I knew had to wait over a week to get their first results, the second was supposed to be two or three days and it did come back three days later. But most of the tests, unless they are expedited are just about useless.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with covid but the doctors now think she either has lupus or valley fever. I’m not sure now a test for a virus could make that mistake.

Lies, Damned Lies and Health Statistics – the Deadly Danger of False Positives – Lockdown Sceptics

A long read, but interesting... What does it mean? I'll leave that for you to interpret.

I believe I read that a false negative is more likely than a false positive. You've probably looked into that more than I have. Is that true? Because, if so, that's a bigger problem. I mean it sucks to have to isolate thinking you have it and don't, but if you aren't isolating because you don't think you have it.......

Awkward! Bet he’s a real joy at Thanksgiving too.

Last edited:
So it's our anniversary today and my wife and I are going out to a restaurant for the first time in over 6 months. We found a place in Huntington Beach (I'm caring for my mom near there and she's driving in from West LA) that has outdoor seating and when I made the reservations, they told me they could separate us from other people and are following all state guidelines. I asked about what precautions they are taking and they said they wipe down all surfaces after someone leaves, require masks on employees at all times, and test them. I don't know if I'd describe myself as nervous; I think cautious is a better word. Anyway, I'm looking forward to a nice meal, wine, and drinks while overlooking the ocean.

So it's our anniversary today and my wife and I are going out to a restaurant for the first time in over 6 months. We found a place in Huntington Beach (I'm caring for my mom near there and she's driving in from West LA) that has outdoor seating and when I made the reservations, they told me they could separate us from other people and are following all state guidelines. I asked about what precautions they are taking and they said they wipe down all surfaces after someone leaves, require masks on employees at all times, and test them. I don't know if I'd describe myself as nervous; I think cautious is a better word. Anyway, I'm looking forward to a nice meal, wine, and drinks while overlooking the ocean.
Hope you have a good day and everyone comes away safe.

Enjoy friend. :yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugoodeww
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"