Could Star Wars fatigue become a thing?

Discussion in 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' started by writer0327, Jan 9, 2017.

1. writer0327

writer0327 Registered

A friend and I were having this discussion about how Star Wars only had 6 films for nearly 40 years, but suddenly now we'll be getting a film a year. The gaps between films and the rarity of them added to the special feeling of SW. You had to wait 3 years for the next film to come out, now it's only a year. Will that special feeling of returning to this universe change with the proliferation of new films? I know for us hardcore fans it won't, but I'm thinking of the general audience.

2. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Registered

I think that it will be at least 30 years before this happens, if it ever does.

#2 Mysteryman, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  3. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

It *could* happen, sure. I wouldn't worry about it especially, as long as the quality of the movies remains high. People aren't going to not show up to good movies just because they are a long running franchise.

4. reverse flash

reverse flash Registered

It already is

5. reverse flash

reverse flash Registered

Star wars isnt marvel where you crank a movie or two out every year. 6 films were fine but disney is clearly greedy and wants a movie every year and soon its own amusement park.

6. 2kt09

2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

30 Star Wars movies later
    Hope they have more than enough variety. While the "galaxy far far away" has a large universe to mine because you're making it up as you go along,
    I'm very hesitant with the approach they currently have to compare it to this cbm boom.

7. Zant

Zant Registered

With some of Rogue One's overseas numbers, I'd say yes. Its already kinda happening, but its not full on fatigue yet.

8. MessiahDecoy123

MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Overseas, I think there will be a plateau.

Around 450 m for spin offs and 700 m for saga films.

Should be good enough for a steady 1-1.4 billion per year for Disney.

Even with "fatigue", SW will remain a top tier franchise.

9. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Yes, it could and already is becoming a thing. It won't stop it from being a box office juggernaut for the foreseeable future, but yeah. I have to agree, the gaps between the films did add to the allure and it made it feel more special.

I love SW dearly, so I'm not going to complain too much about being spoiled silly with content, but I think it's disingenuous to pretend that there isn't a potential negative downside to it or such a thing as too much of a good thing. Some people are too quick to dismiss that concern.

Myself, I'm speaking from experience. Circa 2002-2012 I was all in on superhero films, they were my favorite and I'd see 'em all in theaters without question (minus the obvious duds like Catwoman, Ghost Rider, etc). But honestly, it's gotten out of hand now and I can barely muster up excitement for them anymore regardless of the fact that some very high quality ones are getting made. It's just too much and I'm growing number and number to the thrills and big emotional impact that the genre used to give me, and IMO the MCU approach to things has made the movies feel a bit more disposable.

#9 BatLobsterRises, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  10. reverse flash

reverse flash Registered

They need to get away from the skywalkers and the OT. This is a galxy explore it

11. writer0327

writer0327 Registered

Going away from the OT is probably when things will fall apart for the movies.

12. spiderman2

spiderman2 Registered

No things like CBM fatigue are just a myth big fat myth its about how good the movies are. They could come out with a star wars movie ever 3 months and if they where good people wouldn't fell tired and would keep seeing them.

13. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

I think they'll take a break from Saga films after Episode IX and have the anthology films be the main thing, for a while at least. That way they can keep it more versatile and build up to newer episodes down the line with a greater sense of anticipation.

14. spiderman2

spiderman2 Registered

lol R1 is a spin off and dosnt even have any jedi in the movie. We knew the movie would never make what TFA did. If this was episode 8 and it was doing R1 numbers then you would have a point. Heck FATF 7 did its biggest numbers yet and that was the 7th one in the franchise and the franchise only started in 2001.

This right hear its all about the quality of the movies.

Considering how good TFA was and how it sets up episode 8 nicely I don't think 6 was really enough and yet we are getting a star wars movie threw 2019 but we don't know if we are going to get a break after episode 9 or not. What if after episode 9 we get like a 10 year break and then get episode 10 and have no spin offs in those 10 years either?

15. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Yes it's possible, and it's arrogant to think it's impossible.

It's happening right now with Call of Duty. It happened previously with Assassin's Creed.

16. Grievous

Grievous General of the Droid Army

I disagree I think if they focus on recasting characters from the OT for spinoffs that won't go over well with everyone. If they are going to do spin offs I believe they should focus first on the PT for the simple fact of before the people who played characters from that era get too old.

17. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

Fatigue can always happen with anything. But it usually is a question of when. I remember people thinking comic book movie fatigue would happen in the early 2000’s. Yet almost 15 years later and we are going stronger than ever. Comicbook/Super-hero films in the past 17 years are in the dozens and dozens and in 2017 alone there is 7 big comic book films in one year.

Star Wars itself is a genre onto itself. I think it has that advantage. Where you can take SW and merge it with many different things. If things start to get “stale” they can move into pretty new directions and be quite flexible. However, quality will always be the big decider. We are only two films in but both have been very well received by critics and fans alike. If that starts to fail then yeah fatigue catches up quicker.

Rogue One already showed that you can go into some interesting new areas with Star Wars to ward of fatigue for quite a while (again dependent on quality).

I think with anything there is fatigue after a while. But Star Wars kind of being its own genre I think has an advantage, with superhero films we’ve had dozens of them in 17 years and it’s still going on. Where Star Wars has one film a year. I have no doubt there will be fatigue eventually and it will have to take a break before people desire it a lot again. But honestly I think that’s far down the line.

18. MessiahDecoy123

The key to the longevity of the superhero genre is variety and untapped potential.

Comics has an incredibly wide spectrum, subtle and unsable variations and an ocean of untapped potential.

Which is why it will outlast most genres which has narrow storytelling prospects and a puddle of well regarded source material.

Star Wars may be a narrow with few yet glorious peaks but it's a very very fun sandbox to play in and you better believe Disney and LucasFilm are just getting warmed up.

19. Brother Jack

Brother Jack The Penitent Man

It absolutely can happen and it's a big reason why I never want them to do more than one film a year. It will just become too much. In the past, the years worth of wait between films built hype and a sense of event with each release. Each movie that came out felt like a cultural event, regardless of even the quality of the films. And that reached a pinnacle with Episode VII because there had been a decade of waiting and thirty years of anticipation. They have their slate loaded for every year up until Episode IX and probably the year after. I really, really hope they step away from the saga films and either start experimenting with the anthology stuff only or just step away altogether and start planning again. They need to be sure to keep these things precious.

20. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

Actually I will say that Star Wars has as much potential to be as varied as any comicbook. Actually the old EU and TCW has shown how versatile SW can be. I don't see it as narrow but as wide.

21. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Registered

I've been hearing this about comic book movies for ten years.

22. MessiahDecoy123

So you're saying SW is less narrow than the superhero genre?

Have you considered the entire history and library of comic books?

23. spiderman2

spiderman2 Registered

Fatigue is a fake thing the reason that people are tired of call of duty is not because it comes out ever year but because they don't chance a lot form year to year so it fells like you are not really playing a new game.

24. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Then it's not fake. It means if you keep doing the same stuff over and over again, people will get tired of it.

The fact is this. Just by process of elimination, there's a good chance not all of these movies will be an absolute grand slam. No matter how popular Star Wars is. It also means one or another might under-perform at some point.

I remember people thought Star Wars Clone Wars movie premiere would be No. 1 the weekend it would come out. It wasn't and got beaten out by Tropic Thunder.

Now on the other hand, I think switching alternately between a saga film and an anthology film every year is a smart move. But we'll see how long its sustainable for.

I think a lot of people here are simply biased for their fandom and don't want to consider a Star Wars film that doesn't do all that well.

25. spiderman2

spiderman2 Registered

Its fake in that people say that people are getting tired of a movie just because there are other ones and that is not true at all. People just want good movies. Like for example I have heard people say that people are tired of Spider-Man movies but its not that people are tired of seeing Spider-Man movies. Its the fact that amazing Spider-Man was to much like Spider-Man 1 with doing the origin again and the fact that amazing Spider-Man 2 was considerd a bad movie and a lot of people didn't want a reboot after Spider-Man 3 and wanted a Spider-Man 4 instead. If people really got tired of something just because there are a lot of them then you wouldn't have like 20 Zelda games over the years. You wouldn't have like 25 bond movies by now. You wouldn't have so many darn sequals both with movies and games its about how good they are not how many there are.

Heck if fatigue was really a issue then iron man 3 should have sufferd with having seen iron man in iron man 1-3 and avengers in like a 5 year period of time. After how bad the prequlas where I think it is just about impossible for a star wars movie to flop but that dosnt mean that a star wars movie is going to be a grand slam ever time. How ever if a star wars movie dosnt make has much has people think it is not going to be because it is a star wars movie and all of a sudden people don't want to see star wars. It is going to be because it was not a good star wars movie. So yeah again its not how many star wars movies they make it is how good are they and can they make them different enough that you don't fell like you have already seen the movie before.