Could Star Wars fatigue become a thing?

Discussion in 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' started by writer0327, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Filmfan93

Filmfan93 The Man in Black

Fatigue have been shown with Bond, even though the films are good. As well as other films which are good. It's not about films being good or bad, it's about the frequency. If movies are not released that often, then people forget about them and are excited again when a new one comes after several years, for example.

If you love eating chicken, can you eat chicken every day for 365 days without feeling the fatigue (even though you know that it is good)?

2. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

Pretty much.

Yes, but let's not lie 99% of them released and continue to be done are of the superhero variety. Even the likes of Kickass.

Have you considered the entire EU Legends? There is lots of different variety in it. I'd say both have a wide area to walk around in.

3. scarlet-witch

scarlet-witch Stormborn

It could happen if all the films resemble each other. I think when Han Solo premieres, people will blame it on fatigue when that movie doesn't do nearly the numbers Rogue One did.

But like others said, people claim Super Hero movies fatigue and they're still going strong.

4. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Agreed. And the thing is, no matter how big the Star Wars universe is and which avenues they explore, there are always going to those recurring things that are in there to keep it feeling like Star Wars. Stuff as simple as the sound effects of lightsabers/ blasters, the Force theme, etc. The simple but powerful things about Star Wars. The little dopamine rush you used to get from that stuff is just quite simply going to diminish the more we spend time in that universe. It will, by definition, become less special. That's why if they must continue making spinoff films, I completely agree that the saga needs to be left alone for a long time. If nothing else, at least try to keep the saga feeling special.

Yeah, and a lot of people ARE sick of comic book movies at this point. It didn't really kick in until somewhere around 2012/2013 for me, but I've been on a steady decline with how excited I'm able to get for yet another comic book movie since around then.

They're always going to do pretty well at the box office because of families/kids/teens, but people who came of age during the big CBM boom and are adults now are starting to grow tired of it. At least in my circles. And we all used to fiendishly anticipate these movies. Part of it is perhaps simply growing older and more jaded, but nonetheless the feeling is there.

Mind you, we're on a website called "Superherohype" so you're not going to see that view expressed as much, but it's a feeling that's out there in my experience. Anecdotal yes, but I have a hunch it's more than just an isolated incident.

5. Mondragon

Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

You don't have to watch them all.
    This whole I have "fatigue" thing I see here, on comic and hypster forums makes you all sound like a bunch of old ladies.
    We used to call it burnout.:crso:
    And yeah it could happen.
    Boba Fett was infinitely more interesting when I knew less about him, I'll give these upcoming stand alones projects a fair shot, like I would any other film, judge based on trailers and if I feel there is something new worth telling there, but my instinct is; I already know what what I want about the Jedi, Han Solo, Boba Fett etc...

#30 Mondragon, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. reverse flash

reverse flash Registered

Disney isnt taking a break from star wars. At some point you say to your self how big is this universe if they only talk about one family.

7. writer0327

writer0327 Registered

How popular will SW films be if and when they go away from the tried and true material from the OT? How will the general public embrace a SW movie without any of the familiar characters, ships, etc.?

Comic book films are different than what SW is dealing with. In comic book films, there are a lot of different characters in different universes that have a vast variety of stories that have been around for decades. SW is a single universe with 8 films, all primarily about the same thing, connected in some way to Rebels vs Empire with a backdrop of the Skywalker family.

If they don't switch it up, that will get old fast and fatigue will set in. If they do, will people like what they see?

8. MessiahDecoy123

MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Superhero movies are still going strong.

5 of the top 11 movies worldwide are superhero movies (most of the rest are talking animal movies).

So there were six superhero releases and five made the top ten. That's despite Hollywood releasing around 5 superhero tent poles annually since the early 2000's.

I think Star Wars can survive releasing one movie per year.

9. meanmc

meanmc Registered

I would not call it fatigue - but the movies (Episode 7 and Rogue One) are just bad, and if that continues, the people, who now are happy, will then take a closer look.

Now, many people are just happy to see new Star Wars movies. That the movies are crap, is not very interesting for them. They are just happy to have something.

That will not last long...

They have to do some good movies soon, otherwise Star Wars gets some problems.

And THEN they will talk about a fatigue, but that is not the case - its just, because the movies are bad, and more people will realise it in the future. (what they can not do now - to be accurate: they do not want to realise it!!)

I would say...

The best would be to REBOOT ALL!!! That is not a joke...
    Episode 1-3 did not work. Episode 7 is bad, as it is Rogue One.

Look for a new cast, and start the francise new. Maybe that will work...

#34 meanmc, Jan 10, 2017
  10. MessiahDecoy123

The vast majority think RO and TFA were good movies.

Of course, it's almost impossible to top the original trilogy but most would place the recent films had and shoulders above the prequels.

Sure, they weren't universally praised but generally critics, movie goers and fanboys enjoyed RO and TFA.

11. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Honestly, I think "fatigue", while it is a thing, its not a thing of audiences. Its a thing of *producers*. Basically, a genre will suffer from fatigue when the producers and writers and directors and actors have run out of interesting things to say and do within the genre. Its the movies that get tired, not the viewers.

12. 2kt09

2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

This is usually the strongest hallmark of an ongoing franchise.
    Although, while the other franchises have many more years to go before stronger IP's come around to tap into their niche,
    "space operas with very similar conditions" have been making a comeback. So, expect a bubble being blown very soon.

13. MessiahDecoy123

Yeah, Fox is a good example.

They at a crossroads where the X-men movies are becoming uninspired and repetitive yet Deadpool and Logan are injecting new life into the genre.

14. BatLobsterRises

I think one thing that starts to irk me is the greediness from some fanboys. Like, most of us here probably agree 1 Star Wars movie a year is plenty. Yet you already have people like Kristian Harloff talking about how it's only a matter of time before it gets bumped up to a 2 year, and saying it like there's no potential downside to that. I just don't get what the limit is for some of these fans. At what point is it too much of a good thing?

And I hate to say it, but Rogue One, while I definitely enjoyed it...about a month later and I have to say I'm not thinking about it much, I think it's kind of forgettable ultimately. Some amazing action and dat Vader scene, but there's not a ton there that is compelling me to want to watch it again any time soon. And I really do appreciate some of the delicious fan service they put in there, I do. But it's tough for me to actually get out there and say it's a great movie as much as I'd like to, when truthfully it just isn't. It's a solid action film that takes place in a universe we know and love. That's really what it is. It makes for a fun watch with friends, but at the end of the day I have a hard time picturing myself revisiting this film the way I do the OT or even ROTS and TFA. When you're feeling absolutely no emotional impact when all of the main characters are biting the dust, something is a bit amiss. A movie like ROTS, for all its flaws, I still feel something when Obi-Wan cries, "You were the chosen one!".

#39 BatLobsterRises, Jan 10, 2017
  15. MessiahDecoy123

I felt plenty of emotion during RO.

I'd definitely prefer to watch it over ROTS' "Annie you're breaking my heart" and "NOOOOOOOOOO".

16. 2kt09

2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

There's also another factor to this "fatigue".
    The staying power of any blockbuster these days is built on just that one month period.

The movie comes out, people watch, a month later talk of it dies down, and then months later hype of the next one builds. This cycle repeats.

17. BatLobsterRises

Yeah, ROTS has plenty of cringe. RO is a more competently directed and acted film by far, but in the end I find it hard to pinpoint something about it that makes it special and not just another loud action blockbuster- other than the fact that there were Stormtroopers and X-wings in it and it happens to connect directly to a film we all love. I guess I'll see how I feel about after Blu-ray/VOD release, I'll definitely watch it again, just kind of have had my fill of it for now.

I think another part of that is the way the summer blockbuster season has kind of transformed into a year-round thing with major tentpoles peppered all throughout the year, there's basically no letting up from it. Maybe January, but that's about it. And all the marketing blitz that comes with each of the movies too is hard to escape. All of those things are factors.

18. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

That's my point. In 40 years I've never seen anything really close to Star Wars, well things that don't blatantly rip off. Star Wars is more than just a Space Opera. It has such a wide breadth of genres blended together in a unique way that makes it Star Wars. Even Avatar is nothing like SW. So again SW and it's style and world is one of a kind and I don't think will really be easily duplicated.

Well what is universally praised? I mean even Metacritic puts anything above an 81 with that label (TFA was at an 81). I don't think technically any film will ever be universally acclaimed. But TFA was quite high up there. So was Rogue One to a lesser degree. So yeah both were very positively received.

19. 2kt09

2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

When I think franchises that inhabit their own genres, I'm thinking,
    "clash of the morphing sentient robots", "supernatural pirate epics", "characters + cars capable of any stunt", and..."dinosaurs"

Avatar was actually the last thing I thought of in reference to Star Wars. What makes Star Wars unique is the concept of lightsaber-wielding superheroes. Everything else has been as a whole done infrequently except during its heyday when there were several "ripoffs".
    We're fast approaching an over-saturation of "ripoffs" from retooled existing franchises to new IP's entirely.
    I'm certain the saga films can rough it out. I'm not so sure of its spinoffs.

20. spiderman2

spiderman2 Registered

First there are a lot of foods I could eat dayly and never get tired of them but don't because of the health factor. Second if people really got tired of movies just because there are a lot of them then there is no way bond would be up to like 24-25 movies because at that point with that many it would have gotten to the point where they would not even be making any money any more. I don't know how long the longest gap has been between bond movies but considering there are like 24-25 bond movies in a little over 50 years the largest gap must have not been that long. If this was truly a issue there wouldn't be so many sequles both in movies and games yet there are because they continute to make money. last even if you take a break before a new movie comes out dosnt mean that people are going to forget about the last one. Batman begins came out 8 years after batman and Robin yet people still thought begings would suck because of how batman and Robin had turned out and begings only made like 320 million and for how good of a movie it is it should have made more but people didn't trust that a batman game could be good because of batman and Robin.

We don't know if Disney is going to take a break at this point. We only know what they are doing threw 2019. I am not saying that we are going to go 33 years between movies like we did between episode 6 and 7 or even 16 years like we did between episode 6 and the prequles but how do we know that Disney will not take like a 10 year break after 9? Yes the one family thing could be a issue. Considering how well TFA took out and the fact it restored faith in star wars in a lot of people after the PT took that faith away and considering how episode 8 is set up nicely after TFA I think star wars is in great shape right now but yes after 9 star wars could be in a hard spot. I do think the Han solo movie could be a flop because a lot of people are not even really asking for a Han movie and would rather see something else and you don't have Ford in the movie of course. I would much rather see a Yado movie my self.

Ok this I can agree with.

21. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Registered

I totally agree with this.
    One movie a year is perfectly fine.

22. Limonade

Limonade Registered

Yes, Star Wars fatigue can happen.

It'll happen when you're reading a Superherohype article, in the year 2028, and a pop-up will open up and cover the page for a few seconds.

Then you'll go, "Oh, there's a new Star Wars mov--Wait, Fox is making a rated R Furby movie?!?! I remember them!"

23. writer0327

writer0327 Registered

This is what I believe will eventually lead to the fatigue. The yearly "Star Wars Movie Cycle"....Just think about this cycle.

December: A new SW film releases
    February: Release date of the Dec SW film Bluray is announced
    Feb-Apr: Principle photography begins for another SW film
    April-May: Bluray of the Dec. SW film released; Teaser trailer of the Dec movie drops
    May-June: We hear news about reshoots, possible details of the plot for Dec release, casting for the "next" SW film coming (2 years from now)
    Jul-Aug: "Official" trailer drops for the upcoming Dec release, Priniciple Photography for the next SW film (1 year from now) wraps
    Sept-Oct: Trailer #2 for Dec release drops
    Nov: Final Trailer for upcoming Dec release

It will get switched up and changed for May releases, but you get the idea. Repeat this cycle for the next 6 years and tell me this won't get old and lose SW some of its luster. Heck, we've barely gotten a chance to really absorb Rogue One and we're already getting excited for Episode VIII. It's like someone else said....too much of a good thing.

24. Galactus123

Galactus123 Registered

It could. I'm very sure it happens after the next 5 years for me at least. I'm sure the movie will keep making money.

I got really tired of AC games after III. That was actually the best game in the series in my opinion but too much is too much. It felt stupid that ACIV came next year.

#49 Galactus123, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  25. Shamus DeClare

Shamus DeClare Registered

I too agree with your views..