Could Star Wars fatigue become a thing?

Discussion in 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' started by writer0327, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Gavan

Gavan Registered

I hope it does. Severely disappointed by TFA, didn't bother with Rogue One, and won't bother with whatever new stuff they put out.

The original trilogy was made pointless since the future is doomed, not even with good reason. What more for Rogue One, a side-story?

So much for Star Wars. I hope people turn on them for this.

2. MessiahDecoy123

MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

So Jar Jar wasn't a dealbreaker but The Force Awakens was?

Okay, #ByeFelicia.

3. LoganPool

LoganPool Like Deadpool, but with more hair.

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it? You clearly were never a huge Star Wars fan to begin with. TFA wasn't the greatest, I get it. But Rogue One is fantastic! Don't doom the entire franchise based on one movie.

4. Gavan

Gavan Registered

They already did. I explained why. It's pointless. They erased all progress and the old heroes are all failures for whatever reason, and now all we have is the same things repeating with worse characters. This isn't the future anyone asked for.

Why do I need to prove my fan cred? I first watched the original trilogy on VHS long before the 1997 "special edition" and the prequels.

5. writer0327

writer0327 Registered

They erased all progress and the old heroes are failures? I don't get your logic.

Here's the thing about Star Wars. In a lot of ways it is very expansive, but at the same time it is very limited. Star Wars has been very contained, purposely perhaps, because they know the true charm and appeal behind Star Wars is grounded in the basic monomyth, "hero's journey" story. There's not a whole lot you can do with it; it's a story you can tell once.

This is why I think the fatigue will kick in with films every year. Every year it will be the same thing.

6. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

Translated: the EU isn’t a thing anymore. At least that’s what it sounds like.

7. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

You are going to have to explain the the box office and my undying happiness with TFA then. :woot:

8. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

So much silliness in one post.

You don't have to like the post Disney SW films. But this is not an opinion I think that can be taken seriously given how it's phrased.

9. 2kt09

2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

My only experience with how expansive it can be are the animated shows.
    However, as a previous poster tried to post,
    the war was supposed to have been won
    yet they deliberately decided to bring us back to square one.
    So, you have that nostalgia via the saga
    and the other nostalgia from the spinoffs (though I'm sure these are where they're willing to take more risks)

10. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Maybe it's just me but... That's not accurate as to the real world at all. I mean... There is never an end to history. Maybe that's the root of that criticism? Cuz in the real world as well people get stunned in societies from time to time when they get lulled into a sense of "this is how it's always been and it's never gonna change". That the Empire fell was the end of the story we were already introduced en media res to in ANH. But that itself was the continuing of a elements we are told preceded it. So I can't cotton to the idea that they fumbled by showing that there was no actual "end" to the struggle of the forces of "good" and "evil" since. I think it's naive to think so in the real world and I appreciate it in my fiction as well.

11. Gavan

Gavan Registered

But it's been what, two decades and everything the old heroes fought for was undone for unconvincing, contrived reasons.

As the Emperor would say, lack of vision.

12. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

To be fair though, Star Wars always had the fairy tale quality to it. I think that's why a finite structure to the saga did seem to fit. "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"= Once upon a time. The Ewok party in the forest was the happily ever after.

By that logic too, that would mean every fantasy series (LOTR, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, etc) should just never end. I'm open to the saga being 9 or 12 parts and becoming a grander story, but at some point I do think we need to acknowledge that there's a value in true endings in fiction.

13. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

How is the First Order contrived? Life goes on in the Star Wars universe after Return of the Jedi, and ****** things as well as happy things will continue to happen. Nothing has been undone.

14. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Its not just the First Order, if its that at all. Its that the New Republic is a complete failure of an organization, *and* that Luke's new Jedi school was also a complete failure. Its not like they had thirty years of peace and success, which was then suddenly upended by a new evil.

15. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

They had thirty years of relative peace and success. They were able to rebuild post-Empire and start an actual, functioning government again. Governments have flaws, and governments have enemies. The folks at Lucasfilm asked themselves the question.. what happened to all those imperials? They didn't just vanish after the Emperor's death. Hell, a lot of them firmly believed the Emperor was still alive and that it was all Rebel propaganda. Like the Rebel Alliance years prior, imperial cells started to come together and formed the First Order. It doesn't sound contrived to me. It sounds like a natural order of events. It's not the only possible order of events, because it's not like the Nazis reformed and waged war again after WW2, but it's sound.

16. 2kt09

2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

The root of the criticism, I think, is more they've done a sequel that comes across as a remake, except "bigger is better".
    For all its faults, the prequel trilogy was about how the hubris of those in charge led to their respective downfalls.
    So, is this saga, "those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it?"

17. Orba

Orba Registered

The whole First Order borrows a lot from the rise of Nazi Germany, the defeated enemy, the new leader who promises to return them to power, the arms limitation agreement that was quietly sidestepped or ignored, and the government leaders who saw what was happening but lacked the political will to actually do anything about it.

18. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Well, if you look at it like the heroes of RotJ won and now everything will be great forever, that won't allow for future stories. You might as well say "No more future Star Wars adventures because everything should stay just fine." To which I will reply "No thank you."

19. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

Starkiller Base was ill-conceived the way they handled it. They could have given it more backstory by explaining that this thing was in the making before the Empire fell or something. Now it does come across as a lazy mega-Death Star.

20. 2kt09

2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Neither will writing yourself into an imitative corner of what came before
    as opposed to honest-to-goodness exploration and yearning to make something new within that established world.

21. Mondragon

Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey ≈ character.

Have all the reasons even been revealed?

22. writer0327

writer0327 Registered

I actually think they did exactly that through the new characters. Rey, Finn, and Kylo Ren feel like nothing like the OT characters.

SW is a character driven story. The plots of all the films aren't exactly deep or complicated. All they can do that is new is give us good character stories, which TFA did, R1 not as much.

23. Mr.Culpeper

Mr.Culpeper Registered

As long as they keep them different, don't think so... Solo's gonna be more like a Western, right? Rogue One - basically a war film. As long as they keep switching it up like MARVEL is, shouldn't be a problem.

24. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

'Could' there be fatigue? Sure there could.

'Will' there be is the unknown question though. For me it depends on the quality of the movies.TFA and RO were both great, if they keep that quality there won't be any fatigue imo.

25. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I can't wait for Luke's ancestors to do battle with the sorta medium gray side of the force.

Seriously though, I think it's too early to say they've got themselves into a corner just yet. Sure, there are some similarities between 4 and 7, but that doesn't mean much at this early stage.

Now, if Luke holds out his hand and says "No. I am your father." in Ep 8, we might be headed for trouble.