Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Coulson Lives! (the Clark Gregg aka Phil Coulson thread)

where's this from?

It originated here http://savecoulson.tumblr.com/post/70303829428/savecoulson-please-reblog-and-help-us-spread

accompanied by:

Important Notes:

• Click to iew full size memo image
  • This project is intended to be a fun activity for fans of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to keep them busy until the series returns to ABC on Jan 7th.
  • This is absolutely not a “save the show” campaign. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is doing well in the ratings and also in international syndication and is not in any danger of cancellation (despite what some website might lead you to believe.)
  • This is a fun way for fans to actively remind the wider community that new episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. return to ABC on January 7th.
  • While this campaign was kicked off by shieldtv.net we encourage all fans, fan sites and communities to work together on this campaign, a united fandom is a strong fandom and there is fun to be had for all.
  • We are offering a few small prizes (eg, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. promotional posters) to a few lucky contributors who are particularly creative in their approach to this project (if other fan sites would like to contribute prizes of their own they are most welcome.)

If I was in charge of this show this would turn out to be something completely mundane, like they're actually talking about the identity of the person who used to prank Coulson's office all the time when he wasn't in (rearranging keys on his keyboard, papering every square inch with post-it's, filling the room with thousands of dixie cups of water, gluing his desk drawers shut, etc) and he never found out who it was.

haha

Guess who was on People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive list? :awesome:

tumblr_mxv6k1DmSu1t7wggmo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mwotbne8eB1qb2tyxo1_500.png

I know the LMD theory is less and less likely, but I found those 2 comments on hypable:

The clues are all there. Agent Coulson was a kid, maybe 6-10 years old when Captain America first showed up. Thus his infatuation and possibly the collectible cards themselves. He died in June of 1981: look at the lisence plate of of his car, Lola. He's been dead and replaced by an LMD for the last 30 plus years. Tahiti is just a memory implant. There are more clues but don't have time right now.

Stark makes a reference to LMDs while speaking with Coulson. The way he dodged the van door. I believe he was killed by or in a confrontation involving the Winter Soldier aka Bucky, during the Cold War era ( 1981 might be his resurrection date instead of his death). 681 PCE : June 1981 Project Coulson Eternal? Con Us can be found in Coulson's name. also Soul Con.

I find the idea that Phil Coulson died many years ago and the Coulson we know has been an LMD all along preferable to his being replaced right after Avengers. If they must go the LMD route that's not such a bad way to do it.

I know the LMD theory is less and less likely, but I found those 2 comments on hypable:

Some of that sounds like LokiD's stuff. :woot:

Seriously, though, if Coulson had been a kid when Captain America first saw action he would be in his 80s now. Some people on Tumblr speculated that the kid running around with a garbage can lid painted like Cap's shield at the end of CATFA was Phil as a kid but that's just fan speculation.

There are details from the series that put the lie to the LMD theory, most notably the fact that the Centipede operatives want to use whatever caused his resurrection to cure their Extremis soldiers. That would not be possible if Coulson were merely a highly advanced robot since the proposed cure is biological in nature. Another thing to note is that if Coulson were a robot he'd have no memories of being dead and in the afterlife. That isn't something SHIELD's scientists would bother to program into him.

Seriously, though, if Coulson had been a kid when Captain America first saw action he would be in his 80s now. Some people on Tumblr speculated that the kid running around with a garbage can lid painted like Cap's shield at the end of CATFA was Phil as a kid but that's just fan speculation.

There are details from the series that put the lie to the LMD theory, most notably the fact that the Centipede operatives want to use whatever caused his resurrection to cure their Extremis soldiers. That would not be possible if Coulson were merely a highly advanced robot since the proposed cure is biological in nature. Another thing to note is that if Coulson were a robot he'd have no memories of being dead and in the afterlife. That isn't something SHIELD's scientists would bother to program into him.
Oh I agree with you, it's getting obvious that something else was done to SOn of COul; science, magic, but he is no LMD

I've always thought Coul may have some residual power from the scepter blue thingy; it may have been combined with some serum; so that Alien energy mayy be the missing ingredient Centipede is looking for

Magicwise, I think he could be one of the Eternals (plus in one of the Comics, they wake up not remembering anything about their past and their powers)

681 PCE : June 1981 Project Coulson Eternal? Con Us can be found in Coulson's name. also Soul Con.

I'm don't understand :D What is the "Con Us"? Comic-stuff? :D

Oh I agree with you, it's getting obvious that something else was done to SOn of COul; science, magic, but he is no LMD

I've always thought Coul may have some residual power from the scepter blue thingy; it may have been combined with some serum; so that Alien energy mayy be the missing ingredient Centipede is looking for

Magicwise, I think he could be one of the Eternals (plus in one of the Comics, they wake up not remembering anything about their past and their powers)

We only wish that the explanation would be something as great as Coulson being a latent Inhuman/Eternal/etc., or that he took the Super Soldier Serum at some point and it somehow healed him. In another post I theorized that Coulson's personality changes stemmed from the Serum enhancing his better qualities the way it did with Steve Rogers. But somehow I don't think we will be given an explanation with ties to the MCU or the comic book universe.

We find out tomorrow

"He can't even say Tahiti without turning into a robot. Is he a robot? How did they bring him back? Is he some kind of Life Model Decoy, as all the Marvel fans think? Is he the Vision? There's all these theories."
- From Gregg himself. The fact that he said it blows his mind, and he mentions these theories, means it's probably not one of these.

He also says it will tie into the future.

http://www.seattlepi.com/entertainm...-D-The-Truth-About-Coulson-5119033.php#page-2

Still stickin with my Mar-Vell Theory

Well I figured that mind tampering was obvious regarding Tahiti. Still this episode doesn't answer what they used to bring Coulson back. I hope the episode Fury guest stars in Coulson tells him off and demands why he brought him back. I saw a green serum used.

Yeah noticed the serum too

But we could see some kind of path to a realm

Yeah noticed the serum too

But we could see some kind of path to a realm

And just before that glimpse to another realm we had the odd shot of what looked very similar to the alien symbols/circuit Ward saw aways back now on that board ( III with oooo's with a line through them).

Blue 'serum' in the drip bag as well (same color as Cap's serum, plus the same colour as the Chitauri stuff showed at the start of the episode. Clue right there perhaps?

And pretty gruesome stuff with his brain...Yikes. That kinda tech surely gotta be alien?

Questions obviously remain. For one, why Fury would go to such extreme lengths (presumably employing alien tech to restore his brain) for Coulson?

After tonight's episode, the LMD theory just gained one helluva lot more traction. (And Pseudo-Vision, for that matter.)

Maybe it's not just *any* LMD, but derived from one in particular: Dr. Horton's "Human Torch" android, which was hinted at in CATFA.

Also, I think it's wrong to think of Coulson/LMD as just a robot; he could be more of a cyborg, one with the actual living brain (AI?) of an actual Phil Coulson who died long ago. It would explain why Fury would go to great lengths to save/revive Coulson after he was gored by Loki. If Coulson was just Coulson at the time of his death, why would Fury devote such immediate and extensive manpower and resources (not to mention subterfuge and outright lies) to reviving this agent in particular? Mancrush?

While I'm sure others have already said it, BIG KUDOS to Clark Gregg for his performance in our latest episode.

I think out of all of the things that I've seen his character featured in (Films & TV Episodes), this was the one that really made me feel for the character on a whole other level.

We also got to hear some great (and yet tragic) back story involving Coulson's past. If I'm not mistaken, I think they had revealed that Coulson's father had died before his eyes and that his mother was also dead by now as well.

And were they talking about the Cellist (that was first mentioned in The Avengers) regarding Coulson's tragic love life? I hope they bring her into the show at some point. I really want to see this character now.

Oh and who can forget the rather heartbreaking scene of seeing Coulson pleading for the doctors to let him die. Damn, now that was truly hard to watch.

Yeah Gregg knocked it out of the park tn. I really loved all of the characters tonight. Skye showed a lot, Ward and May were also fantastic. The team really seems to be together now.

I just hope that they have a great/good story reason for why Fury went through all of that trouble in order to revive Coulson. Granted, I know "Coulson" is a one of a kind agent, but why was he the (at least as far as we know of) only one to be given a procedure that would resurrect him? I mean, I'm sure great SHIELD agents die every now and then during their missions, so why would Fury get so wrapped up with one and bring this one back?

Coulson is Mar-vell!

Probably not, but there certainly HAS to be something special about him in some way to have everything and more thrown into his resurrection.

I hope we find out Fury used any and all of shield and also cosmic stuff as well, like Asgard tech or chitauri tech or something from the GotG world we might find out. (Or he's just got a serious man crush on Phil. :D )

So many new questions to find out which is great.

Well if there is any link to Mar-vell wouldn't it stand to reason the Guardians of the Galaxy movie might reveal if there's any truth to this?

I just hope that they have a great/good story reason for why Fury went through all of that trouble in order to revive Coulson. Granted, I know "Coulson" is a one of a kind agent, but why was he the (at least as far as we know of) only one to be given a procedure that would resurrect him? I mean, I'm sure great SHIELD agents die every now and then during their missions, so why would Fury get so wrapped up with one and bring this one back?

Fury has to make another appearance on the show now, and not just for a joke or two. He has some terrible things to answer for. It was hellish that Coulson could withstand all the torments that Po threw at him but the treatment he received from his own people actually broke him. That was the real torture Phil Coulson endured, being dragged back from death and subjected to inhuman medical experiments so horrible that he was left begging to die. Again.

Fury isn't motivated by friendship and pity, so there must be some darker reason for bringing Phil back. It had better be damn good to justify putting a supposed friend through so much agony.

Holy s**t!
He was stabbed through the chest NOT through the head!
What the heck were they thinking?!!!
My god I think they were using his dead body for a medical experiment and didn't realise he was still alive?!!!

Holy s**t!
My god I think they were using his dead body for a medical experiment and didn't realise he was still alive?!!!

They knew Phil was alive because they resurrected him. They knew he was in pain and they didn't care. Dr. Streiter (Ron Glass) was horrified at what the SHIELD scientists were doing to Phil but couldn't make them stop. He seems to be the one who came up with the Tahiti fantasy to keep Phil from remembering the pain and horror to which he was subjected.

tumblr_mz2cy6fqKP1rt5ctno4_250.gif
tumblr_mz2cy6fqKP1rt5ctno2_250.gif

tumblr_mz2cy6fqKP1rt5ctno3_250.gif
tumblr_mz2cy6fqKP1rt5ctno1_250.gif

tumblr_mz2cy6fqKP1rt5ctno5_250.gif
tumblr_mz2cy6fqKP1rt5ctno6_250.gif

tumblr_mz2cy6fqKP1rt5ctno7_250.gif
tumblr_mz2cy6fqKP1rt5ctno8_250.gif

tumblr_mz2cy6fqKP1rt5ctno9_250.gif
tumblr_mz2cy6fqKP1rt5ctno10_250.gif

Holy s**t!

He was dead for days, and irreversible brain damage begins about 5 minutes after death, so while they could in theory bring him back by fixing his heart (maybe used a variation of the SS serum or Banners work for that) he'd have been a complete vegetable after being dead that long (fixing his heart would be far simpler than fixing his brain),

That weird machine was evidently repairing his brain from the 'catastrophic' neurological damage long term death would have caused as well as later replacing his memories.

He'd undergone 7 operations by the time that guilt ridden Doctor was brought in, and by by that time he was in utter agony pleading for them to let him die (they were keeping him concious once his brain was up and running again to monitor the brains activity/repair status). The trauma of going through all that evidently left him a a broken shell with no will to live, so the Tahiti memory fix was put in to get him past that.

So the question is why would Fury move 'heaven & earth' (I don't think that choice of words was random btw), to bring him back? Now they know this procedure works, couldn't they use it on anyone?

Fury doesn't strike me as being willing to put a friend through so much pain to bring them back, so I think Phil has something else locked away in his mind that Fury needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"