Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Coulson Lives! (the Clark Gregg aka Phil Coulson thread)

Discussion in 'Past Marvel Series' started by Whiskey Tango, May 12, 2013.

1. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

I think Phil was already "powered" before Loki killed him. Whatever wild-ass theory you want to apply, Phil Coulson was most likely some sort of latent super and completely unaware of it --- be it alien (Mar-Vell!), robot (LMD!), android (Vision!), biological experiment (Super Serum!), or whatever. He wasn't "just" a top SHIELD agent --- Fury wouldn't have gone through all that trouble. Fury needed to keep Coulson alive, because Coulson was already more than human.

I know it pisses some people off who willingly swallowed the Kool-Aid about AOS being about just "normal" people operating in a super-powered world, but the writing has always been on the wall that Coulson (and probably Skye) aren't normal people at all.

As for the surgeries themselves, my take on it is that the procedures were a brain transfer. They took Coulson's living brain out of his body before it died, kept it alive, and transferred it to either a clone or an LMD. The "real" Coulson is still alive in a superhuman (of sorts) body.

2. herolee10 No More Miracles

So I'm curious, was Phil able to actually feel the pain of having his head operated, with no anesthetics applied to him whatsoever to null the pain?

If so, then damn..that's even worse then I had imagined. If Fury's primary reason for bringing Coulson back was just so that they could test out their experiments and such or retrieve something from Coulson's mind, then I'll be happy when Steve Rogers quits SHIELD someday.

3. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Coulson being resurrected from a definitive death already made him not 'normal', but personally I don't think he (or Skye) have powers. I could be proved wrong, time will tell.

4. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

From the way it was presented they couldn't give him anaesthetic as they needed to make sure his brain was working right ("can you feel that?"). Fixing a dead brain is no small matter after all. Millions of neurons and nerves to repair etc. Why I think that machine was possibly alien technology, with that brief image as well of symbols closely resembling those Ward saw on the wall in an earlier episode, just before a shot of space:

From last night:
    [​IMG]

From the earlier episode:

[​IMG]

Plus it looked like an unprecedented procedure so they might have not known just how much pain he was really in.

#529 wobbly, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  5. herolee10 No More Miracles

I hope one of the lessons learned by the end of the season is that if SHIELD is willing to torture someone like Coulson, who has given everything for them, just for the sake of their own agenda, that there's no longer any guarantee that anyone will be exempt from their immoral methods...which could tie in nicely with what Captain America will face on a bigger scale in the Winter Soldier film.

6. Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

Thank you for bringing up the image in that first screenshot. I noticed that when watching last night and went back and looked at it again trying to figure out what the heck that was (and what it's supposed to be on... is it in fact on the machine that was working on his brain? is it on something else that Coulson remembers seeing and we don't know what it is yet?) It definitely has me scratching my head.

7. afan Registered

All this is valid if Coulson is just a SHIELD agent.......Thinking there's much much more to Coulson than that..... something so important that preserving him becomes paramount!

8. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Maybe its meant to represent Earth? Big round symbol, then III above it (or binary for 3). 3rd planet in the Sol system perhaps?

Maybe all that stuff Ward saw is some kind of map for intelligent alien races out there perhaps? We know the other symbols (not the lines and circles) are Skrull in origin (at least from the books). Perhaps the 'map' (if it is one) is Kree or Xandarian? (could see it again GOTG perhaps?)

9. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Yeah, Fury obviously operates in some very grey areas but he has been shown to basically do the right thing in the end: Refusing to nuke New York for example, letting Banner go as agreed etc. He is a [email protected], not adverse to hiding the truth (Hydra derived weaponry) and manipulating it (using Phils trading cards), but I don't think he'd have 'moved heaven and earth' to bring Coulson back if he knew the pain it was gonna cause him.

Whatever his reason for putting Coulson through this I would imagine he must have had a justifiable end in mind.

10. Xeno That's America's ass!

It occurred to me after Raina said so much about Coulson's Cellist that the Clairvoyant and Centipede have to know his ex-girlfriend's name and location. Raina mentioned very specific things -- dining at the Richmond, hearing her play -- so the Clairvoyant must have fed that info to her. Now I wonder if we might not see The Cellist under less than ideal circumstances -- such as Centipede taking Coulson's only known loved one hostage to bargain for Raina's return or Coulson's cooperation.

At the end Coulson wisely played his cards close to his chest where his new knowledge was concerned. He certainly wouldn't want Fury or anyone else to find out that he really knows about the false memories and medical experimentation. Who knows what Fury and SHIELD might do to him if they found out that he's on to the deception. More torture? Imprisonment? Nothing is off the table now, except possibly death. Again.

11. jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

I'm telling you guys. Coulson is going to one way or another, end up being Captain Marvel. The writing is on the wall. There. He's basically mr marvel, everyone loves him.

Jordanstine, the poster here who was a confirmed insider, or, knew an an insider was posting his conversations with his source. His source was legit, as everything he tolf him about Avengers 1, turned out to be true. I can even dig out the post. But his source said to him, "Do you know Captain Marvel?" and Jordan was all "What? He appears in the movie?!?" his source was like.. "no", and Jordan was like "what do you mean, what happens!?" and his source was like "nevermind"

This guy is a legitimate insider. And he brought up captain marvel. There's got to be some relevance. He could have been refering to coulson's ressurection.

A few days ago, Gregg said himself that what they do will really satisfy fans. He also said there have been a bunch of rumors, "is he a robot? A life model decoy? The Vision?" The three most popular theories, he brings up as rumors. He mentions them, which means they propbably aren't the full story.

I say Mar-Vell, or Genis-Vell, or an unnamed Kree or something, maybe crashed on earth or something. And is being held, or is maybe near death, and his mind is keeping Coulson alive. Or something.

12. Alex_Kidd Registered

that's so galvanizing.
    Imho...they made a miracle, with this episode.

My theory? Coulson is a frankenstein of human body parts and Chitauri. FZZT teach us that the brain is the main difference in the internal organs between the two races. If the heart it's been replaced with a Chitauri ones for, his regenerative powers, and the machine modify the brain to be "neurologically compatible" with the Chitauri body parts?

Gruesome but could work.

13. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Gotta admit, when this came up right after those symbols:

[​IMG]

That starburst did have me thinking Captain Marvel (the guy wears one on his chest after all)

14. Eddie Registered

15. Whiskey Tango Registered

Somebody refresh me, where did they find that chalkboard?

16. Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

It was in Episode 4 "Eye Spy" in some research facility in Russia (or somewhere near Russia?)

17. mocomic Philistian by choice

Ok I was a BIG Jim Hammond believer, I'm not sure anymore.
    Clone no.
    LMD no.
    Possibly Whedon has dreamed something up to.
    I always poo pooed the Mar-Vell idea , not sure now.

By the way my understanding is the brain doesn't feel pain, no pain receptors.
    It however receives pain from the bodies pain receptors.

18. Xeno That's America's ass!

It was in Belarus, after Ward failed to seduce the Burly Man. The chalkboard was in a room he walked through (and scanned) full of technicians studying it or whoever. Afterward Coulson said that SHIELD scientists thought that the writing might be alien, IIRC.

19. JJmelo Registered

Love how this episode seems to have rejuvenated a stagnating AoS forum community! Love the Mar-Vell idea, My mind immediately ran to Kree when I saw the star burst and that machine messing with his brain. I hope something epic comes out of all this and plays into a future movie in some way.

20. Nathan Registered

Clark Gregg keeps saving this show. Without him, there probably wouldn't be any activity in these Threads at all.

21. jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

Yeah. Really. lol

22. Whiskey Tango Registered

:up: I gotta go back and watch all these again. My memory of the earlier episodes are hazy.

23. Huddsy Registered

Am I reading too much into this tweet?

24. starwolf_oakley Registered

Going back to the "Why" of Coulson, a question is: Why are Fury and Hill giving Coulson so much autonomy? If Coulson is *that* special to Fury and Hill, why give him such a long leash? Is it as simple as "Let's see how he does with a more hands-off approach"?

Another "Why" is "Why did Coulson pick the team members he picked?" May was a friend of his and he sees real potential in Skye, but why pick Ward, Fitz and Simmons? Borrowing from the "Avengers Academy" series, maybe SHIELD was worried those were the agents likely to go "bad." Ward's background makes going "bad" likely, and we will have to see what about Fitz and/or Simmons could also lead to "badness." Skye skirted close to "bad" with Rising Tide, since she saw SHIELD as the enemy. May could very easily get a whole "I save 20 agents from a monster and in return I get desk duty" thing going, even though she asked for the desk duty.

25. Just_Human Registered

Well he told the doctor about it; he could tell it to Hill (who would inform Fury)
    But would the Doc tell them? Probably not, if he fears for his life lol

I think they are letting Coulson pick his team, because they know **** is going to happen at SHIELD, where you can't trust anyone anymore (see CATWS)