Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Coulson Lives! (the Clark Gregg aka Phil Coulson thread)

Discussion in 'Past Marvel Series' started by Whiskey Tango, May 12, 2013.

1. Xeno That's America's ass!

There's the rub: the parents and growing up on earth. Those could be implanted memories, too, but it's a stretch. Also, making him the son of an alien and a human cuts too close to Peter Quill's origin. (If you think about it, though, Quill saw his mother killed before his eyes at an early age....)

2. Gr0oT I AM GROOT

This alien theory seems overly convoluted even for something set in a comic universe.
    I just can't comprehend why SHIELD would compromise world security by purposefully letting an unknowing alien infiltrate the top of their ranks.

Surely if SHIELD wanted to study an alien being ostensibly living as a human they could set it up in a dozen different scenarios where they'd still have constant surveillance of said alien without it ever being a threat to the world's foremost intelligence agency.

So far as the LMD theory... I guess it's more feasible but still seems unlikely.
    From what I remember LMD's aren't traditionally used as vessels to render someone immortal but rather a highly sophisticated tool that lets you be in two places at once.
    When you're infiltrating organizations or on missions that would have you face great peril, or your real self just needs to disappear.

And usually you're quite aware of your LMD, controlling it and monitoring it, unless someone is using one made from you in order to set you up or something.

Just seems so unlikely that Fury would care about someone so much he'd have them resurrected in LMD form, doesn't seem like the bff type.

3. mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

Hmm so I guess the logical way is he's a normal human that was revived cosmically or at the least very immorally. But then that leaves the question of *why* did Fury go to all those drastic lengths to revive him. Phil still needs to be special in some way I think. And I'm personally willing to wait out the true answer, but I do love the speculation! Lol.

4. Nathan Registered

I say he came back as a Cosmic Zombie, and they did everything they could to reconstruct him, after he came back to life.

5. Xeno That's America's ass!

A Tumblr user spotted a detail that everyone else missed: When Phil's brain was being shocked and he was begging to die, there were four people in an observation booth above the operating room. One of them looks like Sitwell and another might be Nick Fury.

[​IMG]

They saw it all. They saw Phil being tortured and heard him pleading to die. Son of a three-legged *****! Fury needs to come back so that Phil can rip his heart out. :cmad:

6. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

That's "Venom reflection in Spider-Man's eye" kind of foofaraw. Until someone gets an HD blowup of those guys in the background (coulda been photoshopped into the scene, for all we know), I see nothing there beyond the usual array of mad scientists and doctors in that scene. Nick Fury....? People see what they want to see.

7. Nathan Registered

I tried to get and HD screencap and zoom in, but you can't really see much. I only know for certain that the 2 to the left are properly scientists, since they wear lab coats. And even though the person's face is practically just a blob, I don't think the person Xeno was pointing out is Fury. And I only say that because it looks like he's wearing a regular suit with a tie, like all the other Shield Agents. And Fury has his own style.

8. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Sounds more like the exact opposite of Peter Quill. Quill is a human with an alien daddy and is raised in outer space; Coulson may be an alien with a human daddy and is raised here on Earth.

9. Mysteryman Registered

Looks like a guy in a coat to me .

10. Whiskey Tango Registered

They clearly showed a close-up of Fury's face, either before or after that screencap. It's not unreasonable to assume that's him in the observation room.

11. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

I have no doubt Fury would have watched the procedure(s), even if it was on a monitor from miles away. But I don't see anybody in that picture that looks like anybody other than generic scientists and doctors.

And I don't share this train of thought that thinks Fury is a sadist who's just torturing Coulson for gits 'n' shiggles. He's trying (and succeeding) in saving the (inhu)man's life.

12. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Also, bear in mind that medical procedures often are painful. Would Fury be an inhuman monster for insisting that Coulson be debrided after suffering extensive third degree burns? I can guarantee you, that would have produced a hell of a lot of "just let me die!" itself.

13. Whiskey Tango Registered

I haven't seen anyone make that claim. Just been mostly skimming this thread though.

14. Xeno That's America's ass!

If Fury was there watching, which is a good possibility, it wouldn't have been because he enjoyed seeing Coulson tortured. Coulson is obviously important to SHIELD in some way so it would not be unreasonable for Fury to be on hand to see whether or not the procedures being used to resurrect him were successful. Dr. Streiten told Phil that after all the other procedures he had become a "thing," which caused them to use the brain bot to try and make him the man he used to be. Perhaps Fury needed to know that the brain shocking device had had the desired effect because Coulson would be useless if he remained "that thing," whatever horrors that term implies.

It was disgustingly heartless of Fury to approve of what was done to Phil, however. That holds whether he was in the observation room or not. When Phil was pleading to be allowed to die, if Fury was there, that's a whole different level of callousness. There are many painful medical procedures, yes. But there are also instances in which death is preferable to continued, unnecessary torment. This would have been an instance in which leaving someone dead might have been better that reviving than reviving him after the fact for suffering that amounted to torture. Streiten admitted that they should have listened to Phil and let him die (again) but Fury made the call not to, possibly after hearing the man's screams of agony.

15. mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

Fury's got some explaining to do.. Maybe they'll get him in for a good lengthy scene somewhere down the line this season. Seeing as he's been on the show twice now in minor capacity, I wouldn't be surprised.

16. Octavias Mad Insomniac

First off I agree that the brain surgery that was taking place wasn't to bring him back, it was to implant memories over whatever happened between his death and him coming back... or perhaps if he came back, did horrible things and had to be reprogrammed in a way. The doc said that fury pulled out all stops and that his operation was like 14 or 15 into the procedure... whatever science or magic brought him back has yet to be alluded to

17. Just_Human Registered

Everyone else missed that?

lol I think most people noticed them

Or could it be Hammer?

Or Zola ?

:woot:

18. Just_Human Registered

OK, lightened the pic a little to see who it could be

Forgot to resize it, so download an zoom in ....

The person on the right looks like Romanoff

Or perhaps Agent Hand?
    Seems to be a redhead

As for Fury, that person seems to have a very big head, lol

[​IMG]

19. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Or the LEADER?
    Don't forget, Samuel Sterns was in a SHIELD cell in the comic Fury's big Week.

http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/Fury%27s_Big_Week

20. Alex_Kidd Registered

Why they're doing this to coulson? Because he's a tester, a lab rat, used for the experiment of revive for the Avengers in case of death. Fury can't lose Cap, or Romanov or Burton... With a revive program can bring back from the death and make fight. Again, and again, and again. But he need a test and Coulson was a good element. No strings attached. Only a generi relationship with a woman in Portland

21. Vartha Mod of Thunder

I doubt they could do that procedure often, without doing damage. We know the procedures weren't COMPLETELY successful if Phil's hand had issues holding onto his gun.

22. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

I find that one doubtful tbh. For one, it worked (even if it did take some memory tinkering to set right). This means death has no real consequence any more. That's not a road I think they'd wanna go down.

Secondly, the way Fury reacted after Phil's death (no urgent reaction from him about it beyond raiding Phils locker) suggests something else happened after the death to prompt him into 'moving heaven & earth' to bring him back. The Doctor at the end made it pretty clear this was a new thing being done just for Coulson (they'd brought in a team of scientists working round the clock) rather than any existing project they'd been working on before at any time.

23. Xeno That's America's ass!

You may be on to something there, Alex. Phil Coulson has no immediate family, so there was no one to even claim his body after he died, much less ask a lot of uncomfortable questions about what happened to him. Fury could count on that fact to cover for whatever he decided to do to/with Phil. But a lot of people will be disappointed if the ultimate reason for resurrecting Phil is just so that he can be the first soldier in Fury's Army of the Undead.

24. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

lolwut

So....he *staged* Coulson's death, maybe paid Loki to ram a spear through his chest....? Riiiiight.

If Fury wanted to play mad scientist and use Coulson as his guinea pig to test nightmare fuel (not a chance in hell), he would've done it in a controlled environment. i.e., he would have had Coulson murdered under conditions that Fury himself could control (and probably pull the trigger).

Ain't happening. Not in the MCU.

25. cph9fa Registered

I don't think he's saying that at all. But there's a saying: "Never let a crisis go to waste." If Coulson happened to get stabbed by Loki around the same time that SHIELD happened to also be experimenting with resurrection technology (to bring back dead heroes?), why wouldn't they use Coulson as a test subject? I think this is as good an explanation as any other I've heard. Not saying I think it's the right one, but it sounds at least as plausible as Coulson being Mar Vell.