Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Coulson Lives! (the Clark Gregg aka Phil Coulson thread)

Discussion in 'Past Marvel Series' started by Whiskey Tango, May 12, 2013.

1. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

....I dunno, because it's unspeakably evil, morally repugnant and disgusting? :huh:

Nick Fury operates in shades of grey, not shades of Jeffrey Dahmer.

2. Gr0oT I AM GROOT

Dahmer and other serial killers are almost always sexually motivated, so the comparison isn't really fair.

Then again I'd agree that Fury isn't Mengele either, leave that to the Red Skull and friends.

3. starwolf_oakley Registered

Has it been made clear how much Coulson remembers? in "A Magical Palce" he only remembered a bit, which is why he went to Dr. Strieten for more details. It seemed he only remembered saying "Please let me die" as well as the pain of getting his brain poked/zapped, but not why he kept saying it? His sulking in "Seeds" seems to be more from what his file is saying rather than what he actually remembers.

4. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Yup, I don't think he remembers anything beyond what we saw in the flashback while he was in that machine (his pain, the brain machine, and his pleading to die). He doesn't appear to remember anything before that (other than his actual death), and anything after would still be the implanted 'pleasant' memories of Tahiti (he remembers being there for weeks recuperating, before coming back for this show, so he could indeed have been there, at least after they were done fiddling with his brain).

5. Vartha Mod of Thunder

I'm wondering if that blue fluid they were pumping into his drip bag was a version of the Super Soldier Formula?
    I mean if it could prevent Steve from dieing and kept regenerating him in the ice, it might do the same with Phil.

6. OriginalMiles Registered

Found this while browsing.

Unlikely... but plausible.

[​IMG]

#606 OriginalMiles, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  7. Vartha Mod of Thunder

I hadn't THOUGHT of that at ALL! How old is Phil anyway? lol

8. OriginalMiles Registered

I would guess somewhere between 40 and 50.

Still, I think it makes sense.

9. cph9fa Registered

IIRC, I saw that theory going around even before the show came out. I didn't pay it much credence at the time, partly because it seemed like Phil would've known about it if he were a super soldier, so there would've been no mystery. In Avengers, for example, he wouldn't have just told Cap he was there when they found him... he would have been there originally too!

But in light of SHIELD's newly-revealed mind wiping practice, I may need to reconsider my stance towards this theory.

10. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

He is 'as fit as the proverbial fiddle', especially for a man 'of his age'.

Something you only 'say to old people' according to Phil...

That's about all we know on his age. He doesn't seem to think he is old at any rate. I'd say mid to late 40's myself (Though Clark Gregg himself is 52 this year).

If Phil was around 10 or so in 1945 he'd be pushing 80 by now.

11. Xeno That's America's ass!

A link to this was posted months ago in this thread and we discussed it at length. The Super Soldier theory is very attractive and quite common among fans. There are a few problems with this particular version of it but it would make sense if Phil had been involved in experiments designed to duplicate Dr. Erskine's formula when he was in the Army.

However, Phil Coulson is not old enough to have been the kid at the end of CATFA. His SHIELD ID gives his birth date as July 8, 1964, making him 49 years old. Also, despite multiple people saying that there is a voice-over from the kid's mother calling him "Phil," that never happened in the film. That little scene of kids playing with a trashcan lid painted like Cap's shield had no voices audible in it, just music. As much as I'd like the Super Soldier theory to be true, the flashback to Coulson's resurrection makes it seem very unlikely to be the answer. He wouldn't have needed so many surgeries if he had the same accelerated healing factor as Steve Rogers. There wouldn't be any reason for SHIELD to erase memories of that from his mind, either. Phil is a Cap fanboy and the ultimate company man, so there would be no fear that he would reveal it to anyone else.

12. JJmelo Registered

I figured out the entire mystery... Coulson is an active from the Dollhouse!! that machine tampering with his head was just a different version of the chair! HA! GENIUS! SHIELD runs the Dollhouse!!

13. herolee10 No More Miracles

Curious, aside from Black Widow and Hawkeye... do you guys think that the Avengers would actually be shocked to hear that Coulson is still alive? Or would they just brush it off? And which of the Avengers would you guys like to see Coulson reunited with first the most?

14. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Cap had only just met him really, and I'm not sure if Banner met him at all, so I couldn't see them reacting too much, other than being obviously surprised.

Tony might be gob-smacked, but would still act all cool and smartass about it.

As both Cap & Tony were directly played by Fury with the cards thing though they might have an issue with Fury over that.

Thor would likely just give Son of Coul a great big man hug though.

So with all that in mind...Thor.

15. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Yeah you're right, my Dad was born in 1941 lol I'm a year older than Clark. :D

Edit: tho It COULD be Phil's DAD. ;) and Phil is really a Phil JUNIOR

#615 Vartha, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  16. Vartha Mod of Thunder

I can actually see a scene where Phil walks in they All happily greet him then all turn and give Fury a scowling look lol

17. cph9fa Registered

Thor: "Sayeth What!!??"

18. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Hmmm...and we know Phil apparently watched his father die as well...Phil being a Cap fanboy could have come from his Dad's devotion to him perhaps (inherited the cards from him too maybe)? btw, that kid with the trashcan/shield was never named at all (no vocals in that bit at all so no call for dinner etc), he was just a young Cap fan playing with his friends.

Seriously .. I think that's just looking for links that the writers never had/have in mind.

Not everything has to be connected after all :cwink:

19. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Well Phil said it took HIM a few years to find the cards in the Avengers, so those particular ones were not his dads in the first place.

20. Loki882 Registered

Well since Lady Sif is guest starring in an episode, I'd love to see her and Coulson interact. I wonder if Thor told her about "the son of Coul?"

21. Donut Registered

This could be how Thor finds out that Coulson is alive maybe

22. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Did Coulson get a look at her before they all left that town? He knew other Asgardians were there thanks to the "We got a Xena, Robin Hood & Jackie Chan' line, but I can't remember if he even saw them (he drove up to Thor before he flew off with Jane).

23. starwolf_oakley Registered

I developed a theory based on one line from "Iron Man." Coulson's first assignment as a SHIELD agent was at a rodeo. Making his "This isn't my first rodeo, Mr. Stark" line from "Iron Man" more literal.

Naturally, "SHIELD group that operates out of a rodeo" could involve the Rangers, a Marvel Superhero Group that operated in Texas. Most of the group has costumes that looked like ones rodeo performers would wear anyway.

[​IMG]

24. Xeno That's America's ass!

Wobbly's right. Coulson and some agents drove into Puente Antiguo right as Thor defeated the Destroyer. Sif and the Warriors Three were there with Thor, Jane and the others, so Coulson at least knows Sif on sight even if he never learned her name.

25. Loki882 Registered

Yeah but he didn't really interact with any of them. I don't even think that he said one word to anyone besides Thor.