Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Coulson Lives! (the Clark Gregg aka Phil Coulson thread)

I posted this over in the News thread, but since it's Clark Gregg talking about Coulson's resurrection it belongs here as well.

There was an interview with Gregg in the recent LA Weekly with Whedon on the cover ("The Bard of Malibu") in which he repeated what he had previously said about death and resurrection changing Coulson. From the way Gregg has described it, I am fairly certain that the explanation for Coulson's survival is suitably Whedonesque and does not involve the childish ploy of the agent holding his breath to fool people.

Clark Gregg, the New King of the Whedonverse

Gregg is equally tight-lipped about Agent Coulson's resurrection in this fall's ABC series The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearly, he's not dead. The question is how — and will fans, even his good-hearted geek fans, feel betrayed?

Gregg is fully aware of the perils. "When they called, I said, 'We can't base the show on a cheat,'" he recalls. "Joss walked me through what he was thinking, and I thought, 'Wow. Wow. OK. That works for me.'"

But Coulson might not be the man fans remember. "If something that traumatic happens to you, it must have a cost," Gregg says. Perhaps the PTSD-scarred agent will wake up screaming of wormholes and tesseracts. And perhaps, if Gregg is lucky, Whedon will fold him back into the gang for Avengers 2.

Wouldn't be a retcon if they just used the LMD idea

Doesn't matter if it's a retcon because it's a done deal. Those who don't like it can either not watch or watch and block out the parts that Coulson is in. Which would be the whole show. :o

It scarcely is even a retcon when the movie itself outright points out Fury lying.

Yeah THE SPY of SPIES would do anything to get certain things done, lieing would be one of them as pointed out by Stark as he finds the Plans on the Cube.

He's Mar-vell, Fury knows it, and it can bring the sword stuff in :DDD

Captainrogers posted this over on the CATWS boards.

This, my friends, is how you explain Coulson. There is simply no better way, *period.* This is goddamn beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes. Hope to hell this turns out to be The Reason.

http://imgur.com/a/mK26d?gallery

It WOULD be VERY cool if it is true.

Captainrogers posted this over on the CATWS boards.

This, my friends, is how you explain Coulson. There is simply no better way, *period.* This is goddamn beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes. Hope to hell this turns out to be The Reason.

http://imgur.com/a/mK26d?gallery

The "Super Soldier Coulson" theory has been discussed quite a lot by Phil fans as a great way of explaining the agent's survival. Back when Phil was presumed dead and we were grasping any and all available straws, that one looked pretty handy. In the comics universe Phil is a former Special Forces member, so it is plausible that he would have been subjected to some experimentation during his service. As Captain America's #1 fan, Phil would have jumped at the chance, and if he was young and naive he might not have thought of all the risks involved.

I don't think that post is likely, or even necessarily desirable. But I will say it is nonetheless *awesome*.

I don't think that post is likely, or even necessarily desirable. But I will say it is nonetheless *awesome*.

Why on earth would it not be necessarily desirable? It makes Coulson into a genuine superhero (albeit a "broken" one), creates a poignant backstory for him, creates a logical explanation for his skills as well as his alleged "resurrection", and also a logical explanation for why he now has to be kept hidden from the Avengers (one, to disguise Fury's lies, and two, to keep later SSS experiments secret, especially from a now "reborn" Cap), and creates less controversy than the LMD, Vision, Mar-Vell, and other theories making the rounds.

It's perfect. So perfect they're bound to not be using it. But it would have been just right.

I can see it being explained as the effects on each individual are different, like gamma effecting each person differently

the Hot Toys review of the Agents Coulson with Clark Gregg sitting aside!
[YT]0pIgEeBySyE#![/YT]

hehehe ya gotta see this

Last edited:
the Hot Toys review of the Agents Coulson with Clark Gregg sitting aside!
[YT]0pIgEeBySyE#![/YT]

hehehe ya gotta see this

I just saw that on Tumblr. Clark Gregg is hilarious.

tumblr_mogwry3qql1qbmslxo1_r1_250.gif
tumblr_mogwry3qql1qbmslxo2_250.gif

tumblr_mogwry3qql1qbmslxo3_250.gif
tumblr_mogwry3qql1qbmslxo4_250.gif

:lmao:

lol Clark's Awesome lol

Edit: what he does with Loki is pretty funny too. lol

Last edited:
Phil Coulson simply must have a secret Captain America shrine on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. They can have the baby agents stumble onto it and get freaked, before Coulson finds them and *****es them out for spying. :woot:

lol That would be hilarious. lol
Wonder if we'll ever see his lady friend, they mentioned in Avengers?

lol Clark's Awesome lol

Edit: what he does with Loki is pretty funny too. lol

Clark got all stabbity with that Asgardian bastard. Every time I see The Scene I want to stab Loki, too. :argh:

h1CBFD95D

lol That would be hilarious. lol
Wonder if we'll ever see his lady friend, they mentioned in Avengers?

The Cellist should make an appearance too, at least in passing. It would be fun to see just what relationships Coulson has outside of SHIELD. Maybe there's a hot Madame Hydra type in his past who can pop up to provide some menace. Or perhaps Phil can take Jasper Sitwell's place as Madame Masque's lover, seeing as how she started off as a sort of Mafia-esque crime boss/spy who crossed swords with SHIELD. Nick Fury sure isn't into sexy girlfriends in the MCU (yet) so there's no reason why Phil can't fill that void.

Well if Phil gets the Super Soldier Formula nothing may quench him other than Lola :D

Why on earth would it not be necessarily desirable? It makes Coulson into a genuine superhero (albeit a "broken" one), creates a poignant backstory for him, creates a logical explanation for his skills as well as his alleged "resurrection", and also a logical explanation for why he now has to be kept hidden from the Avengers (one, to disguise Fury's lies, and two, to keep later SSS experiments secret, especially from a now "reborn" Cap), and creates less controversy than the LMD, Vision, Mar-Vell, and other theories making the rounds.

It might not be desirable, because it would establish a whole bunch of themes, that would contradict a good part of Coulson's current appeal: the unflappable everyman. If he's now an unaging minor superhuman from another era, that makes him something different. It might well be something *interesting*, but it'd be a major change. And I'd consider very, very carefully whether the change would be a good idea in the overall scheme of things.

Which doesn't change that, as a standalone concept, its an awesome idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"