Crazy Rich Asians - from the producer of The Hunger Games

[...] tells the story of three wealthy pedigreed Chinese families whose predilection for gossip, backbiting and scheming reaches fever pitch when the heir to one of the most massive fortunes in Asia brings home his American-born Chinese girlfriend to the wedding of the season.
From what I hear of Chinese opinions of American-born Chinese (ie; they're Chinese in name only), this could be a really funny movie.

I can't wait for this. I'm reading the book now and done right it could be an Asian Devil wears Prada.

I could easily see Brenda Song as Rachel Chu

I demand that Cameron Crowe direct this movie. It can star Michael Fassbender, Heather Graham, Jack Black and Kirsten Dunst.

That's great casting! I Chu Chu choose her!

Can't wait for this movie. I'm terrified they might cast George Clooney as Nick or something just to "help the box office". Hopefully not though, especially with that creative team

I haven't read the book, but having a few white characters in a setting of Singapore wouldn't be out of place.

The books are amazing but they don't need to add in any white characters. Just got back from Singapore to be honest and there's more of a convincing reason to have characters of Indian descent actually than white ones in present day Singapore. But the books stretch all over Hong Kong and Shanghai too

http://deadline.com/2017/10/crazy-rich-asians-movie-opens-august-2018-1202198394/

Warner Bros. already had August 17 on reserve for a comedy, and the studio announced today that it is designating that date for the release of the feature adaptation of Kevin Kwan’s novel Crazy Rich Asians.

The pic is based on the first book in a trilogy centered on a U.S.-born Chinese economics professor and boyfriend. The book takes an incisive and comical look at the extended families of high society in Asia, offering a bracing exploration of the cultural differences among Asians of Chinese descent around the globe.

Jon M. Chu directs and Michelle Yeoh, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Constance Wu and Ken Jeong star.

Yay can't wait for a trailer for this. I just finished reading the first book and loved it as much as the second.

I could see it being hugely iconic

8XZkzbZt_o.jpg

http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/02/crazy-rich-asians-first-look-ew-cover/

Kevin Kwan’s debut novel was snapped up by The Hunger Games producer Nina Jacobson just four months after hitting shelves in 2013, and it’s not hard to see why: The real-life, jaw-dropping opulence of Asia’s über-rich practically begs to be splashed on the big screen. In the book, Kwan details outrageous luxuries, from climate-controlled closets packed with next season’s couture pieces (why, of course!) to yachts equipped with swimming pools (yes, more than one!) and even to private planes with state-of-the-art yoga studios and heated floors (why not?!). His subjects aren’t just crazy rich, but filthy, unspeakably, hilariously rich.

Yet the craziest part of Warner Bros.’ Crazy Rich Asians, slated for an Aug. 17 release, isn’t the fact that its decadence makes Versailles look like a Red Roof Inn; it’s that it boasts an all-Asian cast, a rare commodity in an industry that’s still working on breaking its habit of “whitewashing” (i.e. casting white actors in ethnically Asian roles). Few Hollywood films have exclusively featured Asian principal casts since The Joy Luck Club more than two decades ago — a fact Michelle Yeoh, an Asian superstar with just a handful of lead roles in Hollywood productions, understands well. “It’s been too long since there’s been an all-Asian cast,” says the Malaysia-born actress, who stars as Nick’s intimidating mother, Eleanor. “I’ve been very lucky to have worked on one before [2005’s Memoirs of a Geisha], but they’re too few and far between.”

In this week’s cover story, EW dives into the making of the film, from Kwan’s first meetings with eager producers to Chu’s ambitious mission to cast responsibly, and finally, to filming on location amid the splendor of Singapore and Malaysia. The author and director weren’t the only ones with stories to share of the book’s move from the page to the screen; Wu, Golding, Yeoh, and fellow cast members Gemma Chan, Sonoya Mizuno, Awkwafina, and Ken Jeong also reflect on what it was like to not be the only Asian face on set.

Oh my gosh the set pictures look even better than I thought it would in my wildest dreams!

I cannot wait for this!

http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/03/hollywood-wanted-to-whitewash-crazy-rich-asians/

Hollywood came knocking on author Kevin Kwan’s door even before Crazy Rich Asians hit shelves in the summer of 2013, but not every suitor came calling with the right pitch.

In fact, one potential producer had the wrong idea entirely of what would appeal to Kwan. During this early meeting, Kwan says, the producer asked him to reimagine his protagonist, Rachel (played by Constance Wu in the film), as Caucasian. “That was their strategy,” he remembers. “They wanted to change the heroine into a white girl. I was like, ‘Well, you’ve missed the point completely.’ I said, ‘No, thank you.'”

When Kwan shared the tale of this early meeting while on his first book tour, he says the reactions he heard wound up convincing him that a film version of the story would — against typical Hollywood thinking — appeal to audiences who weren’t Asian. He recalls one stop in Texas at a book club made up of white women who were just as appalled as he was at the prospect of whitewashing Rachel. “You should’ve heard them scream,” he says. “They were like, ‘Nooo!’ I remember one woman saying, ‘What makes these people think that all we want to do is see the same white actors or actresses on screen?’ To hear that reaction really confirmed for me what the audience wanted.”

And in the end, Kwan found producers who had the same goals when it came to representation, working with The Hunger Games producer Nina Jacobson and her producing partner Brad Simpson to bring the book to the big screen. “[Nina] felt it was really important to tell the story and to have this message and to have that representation out there,” Kwan says. “That was in 2013, way before the whole Hollywood whitewashing movement happened.”

If anything, Kwan says seeing the film come to life has been proof that the idea to whitewash characters may finally be seen as a negative, and not as a necessity. “I do think the tide is turning, and my personal experience as far as I’m concerned has always been a very positive one, from the very beginning,” he explains. “I had one of the top producers in Hollywood come to me wanting to make this movie and wanting to do it right, so I think the culture is shifting. They’re seeing the importance of this.”

Henry Golding is the guy that hosts that BBC Travel show. I had no idea he was also an actor.

Of course they did. Good on him for standing up and saying no. I remember there being a similar discussion a few years ago:

I guess I am thinking of another production from a few years ago that wanted to whitewash a Chinese American character. When I spoke with the producer, I noted that the character had a Chinese last name and his entire character arc was about accepting he was Asian and handling feeling different. “How will you explain his last name?” I asked. “How will you keep the story arc of Tommy feeling like an outcast and learning to accept his identity?”

The producer said, “Well, perhaps he can be a white person adopted by a Chinese family. He could be bullied all his life for being white and having a weird Chinese name and feel left out and not truly a part of things.”

Just goes to show, it's obviously not people's imaginations that they keep getting white people to play Asian roles

http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/07/crazy-rich-asians-constance-wu-contemporary-asia-representation/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Rachel Chu, the heroine of Crazy Rich Asians, walks into a waking nightmare when she gets caught amid the storm of high-society cattiness in Singapore.

But for actress Constance Wu, who plays Rachel in the film, the experience of heading to Asia felt completely different. Surrounded by actors of various backgrounds, including Asians, Asian-Americans, British-Asians, and Asian-Australians, the Fresh Off the Boat star says she found her on-set life to be “incredibly moving.” It wasn’t only because they were able to tell a story featuring Asians in front of the camera, she explains, but also because they managed to tell one of present-day Asia — a rarity in Hollywood films about Asians, in her experience.

“Crazy Rich Asians is very special in that it is, I believe, the first American studio movie to star all Asians that is set entirely in a contemporary setting,” she explains. “I mean, we had Joy Luck Club, which was many decades ago, but [in] Joy Luck Club, half of that is a period piece, and that’s the immigrant story. It’s about these women who came here and are immigrants, and Crazy Rich Asians is the opposite. Yes, Rachel is an immigrant, and she’s going back to Asia, but she’s not going back in time.”

“A lot of the roles I see that are good for Asians are often period pieces,” she continues. “While that’s great, I think it says something if we can only picture Asians in something from another time. It’s like a different type of alienation.”

Of course, Crazy Rich Asians doesn’t claim to represent every Asian culture. Instead, Wu points out that simply presenting a slice of today’s Asia helps raise awareness over how Asians should be portrayed, which in turn helps to underline why whitewashing is such an issue.

“For the most part, a lot of this whitewashing is done under the premise of good intentions — nobody’s trying to be a jerk — but I think when something is unintentional, it’s because you are not aware, and I think just having more narrative certitude of Asian stories makes other people more aware,” she explains. “It doesn’t mean they have to make their cast all-Asian, but I think awareness of the world in which you live helps elevate any type of art. It helps you as a person.”

It has certainly helped her understand her own identity, she says. When Wu first met with director Jon M. Chu about starring in the film, the conversation revolved less around the story, and more about their personal connections to the material. “We were just talking about the world of the story and how it related to both himself and myself as Asians who grew up in America,” she recalls. “[The story] obviously touches on a lot of things that Jon and I have gone through in our very different types of careers, so we talked about that and how we related to it. We found that common thread.”

Chu, after all, was looking for an actress who could epitomize Rachel’s journey of reverse culture shock — and the fact that Wu, like Rachel, had never been to Singapore or Malaysia before, only bolstered her performance. “It was like, ‘This is going to be a great journey for her, and we’re going to capture that on film, we’re going to see her uncomfortable, and we’re going to see her find herself,'” he explains. “She embodies Rachel because she has that bite to her. Constance, you can’t push her around, but when you surround in Singapore with all these people, you start to worry for her.”

hopefully this movie will be successful and lead to more projects for the featured actors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"