• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Creator Bout 5: Battle of the Brits part 3 Ellis vs Morrison

Elijya

Avenger
Joined
Aug 16, 2003
Messages
38,215
Reaction score
0
Points
31
It’s British psycho show-down, with the two insane masters of modern sci-fi comic story telling, Grant Morrison versus Warren Ellis. Both stand atop a mountain of notable work and prestigious awards, but who’s your favorite? I think this will be a close one.


warren_ellis.jpg

Name: Warren Ellis
Age: 38
Nationality: English
Insanity Level: Deranged
Magnum Opus: Transmetropolitan
Other notable works: Planetary, Stormwatch, The Authority, Nextwave, Down, Desolation Jones, Fell, Global Frequency, Ocean, Orbiter, Ultimate Fantastic Four, Ultimate Galactus Trilogy



Versus


grantmorrison-web.jpg

Name: Grant Morrison
Age: 46
Nationality: Scottish
Insanity Level: Demented
Magnum Opus: The Invisibles
Other Notable Works: Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Arkham Asylum, JLA, New X-Men, We3, DC’s Seven Soldiers of Victory, Kid Eternity, Marvel Boy, Seaguy, The Filth
 
Morrison. Based on what I've read by Ellis, Planetary is his best work and, although I haven't actually read it, I hear The Invisibles is kind of what Planetary wishes it could be.
 
Morrison is my favourite writer so I vote for him.
 
Yeah Morrison, he's amazing, I havn't read anything by him which is less than stunning - The Filth, We3, Animal Man, his JLA, Invisibles, Arkham Asylum, Kid Etenity... are some of my most well re-read books. As well as his work on the Flash.

And even though I havn't read them I hear 7 Soldiers and All Star Superman are both amazing, at least from the amount of awards them seem to get nominated for.for me anyway.

Although not to knock Ellis, his work is amazing especially Planetary and Transmetropolitan.

Morrison is just that one step more out of reality and that does it for me.
 
TheCorpulent1 said:
Morrison. Based on what I've read by Ellis, Planetary is his best work and, although I haven't actually read it, I hear The Invisibles is kind of what Planetary wishes it could be.
That sounds like kind of a harsh judgement when you haven't read it
 
Yeah, it does, doesn't it? What I have read of each of their respective works makes me believe it nonetheless, though.
 
Morissons JLA stuff is purely sublime .... WW3 is everything Our world at war was not .... Who would thought that a team with Orion, Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Aquaman and Batman could work. Even the supporting cast such as Steel and Zauriel had amazing characterization. I loved the tension between Aquaman and Orion (No gay jokes !) and the concept of the Oracle. And his depiction of Kyle and Wally is pure magic. Thanks to Morison Kyle is definitely my favourite Green Lattern. His rogue gallery had everyone from the Shaggyman to the Joker, and I think Prometheus has real potential as serioulsy badass villain as does the Key. U can't help loving Protex and the White Martians as well. Morisson was even able to give the Sandman a cameo that lives up to his illustrious name.

I've started reading the invisibles and i love his New X-men stuff. I cant wait for his Wildstorm revamp and the coming conflict of the Authority and the Wild cats.

Hail the crazzy Scotsman !
 
Morrison...his JLA run is what gives him the nod for me.
 
yahman said:
Morissons JLA stuff is purely sublime .... WW3 is everything Our world at war was not .... Who would thought that a team with Orion, Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Aquaman and Batman could work.
yeah, getting a team to work when there're two Batman is pretty frikkin hard. Imagine those two egos clashing.



:D
 
Grant Morrison by a mile.

I liked Ellis' Planetary and Global Frequency, but everything I've read by Morrison has been great.

I haven't read Transmetropolitan, but I haven't read Invisibles either so they cancel each other out. They're both still on my to buy list.
 
I go with Ellis, he is consistently entertaining and insightful, and I'm rarely disappointed. Morrison I always feel tries to hard and it goes over my head, leaving whatever I'm reading feeling dry and dull. We3 was great, but it read like it coulda been any of the awesome sci-fi minis Ellis pumps out on a regular basis.
 
Morrison is able to work within and apart from major universe continuity unlike Ellis.

Although I liked Transmet more than The Invisibles, it's not enough to tip the scales in Ellis's favor.

You also forgot "The Filth" for notable works by Morrison. That one's pretty damn good.
 
Elijya said:
yeah, getting a team to work when there're two Batman is pretty frikkin hard. Imagine those two egos clashing.



:D

Yeah im sure theres an issue when there are two batmans (Yahman goes moulin rogue)
 
yahman said:
Yeah im sure theres an issue when there are two batmans (Yahman goes moulin rogue)

Yahman meet Eli

Eli meet Yahman

- Whirly
 
Don't call your mom or the doctor, pick up the phone and call Nextwave!

:D
 
PWN3R RANGER said:
Don't call your mom or the doctor, pick up the phone and call Nextwave!

:D
I take it that's a vote for Ellis?
Whirlysplat said:
Yahman meet Eli

Eli meet Yahman

- Whirly
We've met. On that Batman note, though, imagine if that happened with Wolverine? People often joke about how he's in so many places at once, what if that literally happened in a story? Like, the Avengers are talking to the X-men on some video conference or something, and Wolverine is standing on both sides of the screen? :D
 
Elijya said:
I take it that's a vote for Ellis?

We've met. On that Batman note, though, imagine if that happened with Wolverine? People often joke about how he's in so many places at once, what if that literally happened in a story? Like, the Avengers are talking to the X-men on some videro conference or something, and Wolverine is standing on both sides of the screen? :D

It would make an excellent parody issue.

- Whirly
 
You know, I may get bashed for this, but I didn't think Morrison's JLA run was as mind ****ingly amazing as everyone says. I liked it, don't get me wrong, but it had some flaws aswell. Mostly from the fact that Batman and Superman were written a tad too over the top for my tastes. Batman was basically superhuman in this book, and some of Superman's feats borderlines on godhood. Plus, after Rock of Ages, it seemed that Morrison ddin't know how to write Orion if he wasn't the focus of the story, so he just made him the token angry guy who hits stuff.



That being said, I ****ing love Animal Man, and I've heard great things about Doom Patrol. Really, though, I've read more of Ellis' stuff than Morrison's. Until I read more of Morrison, I say tie.
 
I think it should be noted that Morrison's much sexier than Ellis, as well. Look at that bald, gleaming, perfect orb he calls a head.
 
I always thought Morrison looked like Lex Luthor.
 
TheCorpulent1 said:
I think it should be noted that Morrison's much sexier than Ellis, as well. Look at that bald, gleaming, perfect orb he calls a head.
While looking for a picture, I stumbled upon photos of Grant posing for a softcore porn site in his underwear

It should also be noted Grant Morrison has publicly **** his own pants.
 
The Question said:
You know, I may get bashed for this, but I didn't think Morrison's JLA run was as mind ****ingly amazing as everyone says. I liked it, don't get me wrong, but it had some flaws aswell. Mostly from the fact that Batman and Superman were written a tad too over the top for my tastes. Batman was basically superhuman in this book, and some of Superman's feats borderlines on godhood. Plus, after Rock of Ages, it seemed that Morrison ddin't know how to write Orion if he wasn't the focus of the story, so he just made him the token angry guy who hits stuff.



That being said, I ****ing love Animal Man, and I've heard great things about Doom Patrol. Really, though, I've read more of Ellis' stuff than Morrison's. Until I read more of Morrison, I say tie.


You're our resident Batman hater...of course you don't like Morrison's JLA run ;)
 
I don't hate Batman. He's one of my favorite characters. I just don't like how alot of people have written him over the years.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"