• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

DC Animation Creature Commandos - Animated Series

Updated notes:

• James Gunn appeared in a thank you video at the beginning of the Creature Commandos panel and said the characters in animated projects are going to jump into live-action projects and vice-versa under a "unified DCU"
  • Locations: Belle Reve, Frankenstein Manor, Frankenstein Lab and Poko Castle (“a failed fairytale type of city”)
  • The creators noted that James Gunn wanted the locations to look exactly like their live-action counterparts. For example, Belle Reve had to look the way it did in Gunn's The Suicide Squad.
  • Creature Commandos is “dark, humorous but never goofy and unsentimental, adult-themed show with political storylines.”
  • This Frankenstein is a lovestruck version.
  • Frankenstein gets multiple outfits for beach, formal/black tie, and regular settings
  • None of the characters like each other.
  • CG was used to set up the shots, however, the final product is fully 2D handrawn animation.
  • Future live-action appearances of the characters were taken into consideration when the characters were designed.
  • The voice actors of the characters will appear in live-action portraying their characters.
  • Rick Flag Sr. gets an updated look: white hair, smoother facial animation.
  • Amanda Waller gets floral clothing.
  • Nina Mazursky is “petit and child-like”
  • G.I. Robot wants to kill Nazis with Nina.
  • James Gunn had pitched Creature Commandos before he took over DC. Gunn then greenlit the project himself when he became the CEO of DC Studios.
  • Characters like Medusa will appear in the later seasons of the series.

That’s old concept art, so we’ll see. But the hand drawn animation should be dope.

So this show, a DCU series, picks up after Peacemaker Season 1, which Gunn himself has said isn't canon to the DCU, but it's getting a second season set in the DCU.

I'm curious about the show, but stuff like this makes me still wish we'd gotten the clean sweep rather than picking up from things that are apparently not canon, but might be. Before anyone says 'Just go in and enjoy it regardless of canon. It doesn't matter' Sure, I hope to, but I do also care about continuity- especially with some things being brought into this new universe.

If it’s actually addressed in the show, it’s canon, if not, move on. I don’t think it’s gonna hamper any sort of enjoyment or logic within the story itself.

He’s said somethings remain the same. Others don’t. I think he’ll treat his DCEU stuff like it was source material. Use what you need, don’t worry about the rest. I get that it’s a transitional period so I can’t be bothered by real world situations trumping continuity rules.

Keeping the Davis’ and Cena’s and Brooks’ as performers is much more important than a clean slate imo.

Yeah I think source material is a good way to think of it. Just imagine Peacemaker S1 and TSS, as those movie novelizations, it wasn't the exact same but some variation of the events happened prior to Creature Commandos, and I'm sure the events that matter will be addressed in time

So this show, a DCU series, picks up after Peacemaker Season 1, which Gunn himself has said isn't canon to the DCU, but it's getting a second season set in the DCU.

I'm curious about the show, but stuff like this makes me still wish we'd gotten the clean sweep rather than picking up from things that are apparently not canon, but might be. Before anyone says 'Just go in and enjoy it regardless of canon. It doesn't matter' Sure, I hope to, but I do also care about continuity- especially with some things being brought into this new universe.
Honestly, just assume literally every moment is canon except some of the actors are different and the JL scene in Peacemaker played out differently. It seems pretty obvious to me that they are, for all intents and purposes, canon.

Honestly, just assume literally every moment is canon except some of the actors are different and the JL scene in Peacemaker played out differently. It seems pretty obvious to me that they are, for all intents and purposes, canon.
The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker S1 always felt like separate entities to begin with. Despite being officially part of the DCEU, they lack Snyder's signature and instead act more like soft reboots of Ayer's SS film. As you pointed out, there are a few inconsistencies, but nothing significant.

I truly believe that James is gonna reshoot the Peacemaker JL cameo with the DCU heroes (Superman, Hawkgirl, Green Lantern), cold open Season 2 with that, and that'll get the point across.

I truly believe that James is gonna reshoot the Peacemaker JL cameo with the DCU heroes (Superman, Hawkgirl, Green Lantern), cold open Season 2 with that, and that'll get the point across.
I'm really curious to see how he addresses that in Peacemaker S2, but at the same time, I feel like it's gonna be incredibly anticlimactic. lol

Continuity/canon is a snoozefest to begin with and I couldn't care less about it. I don't think it really needs any thought or effort put into it other than "Yeah the guy who made this runs the studio now so its basically canon some people just look different". Addressing it at all feels like a big ol' waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"