Crime is a disease. Meet the cure. The Monica Rambeau thread

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score

Didn't see a thread so I thought I should start one. Who do you think should play Monica? I reckon it would be a great way to get one up on the Wonder Woman film by having some cool black women with agency.

I think Samira Wiley would be an amazing Monica next to Brie. Originally I wanted her as Nubia in Wonder Woman 2 but happy for her here

Samira Wiley could be good. My original top choice for Monica, Danai Gurira, is now in Black Panther.

I've been wanting to get Gugu Mbatha-Raw into the MCU for ages, so I'd be all about her in this part too.

I voted "she should never appear" but, to clarify, I mean in a Captain Marvel movie. She's essentially unrelated, Marvel just used the name because they wanted to keep using the name. There's no real in-story connection. Now that she doesn't use the name, she should appear in a different movie. If she doesn't get a solo movie, an Avengers movie would be fine.

She should use her current name at the time of the movie, btw.

I'm partial to Photon, myself, but I agree. There's no good reason to stick Monica in Captain Marvel. If you want to use her, use her. . . in her own movie, or at least one with a better thematic reason than "At one time in the distant past, used the same code name". My preference would be "Monica Rambeau is a public ID superhero in New Orleans, after having gained powers from an on-duty accident. Or, What If Superman Were A Cop?"

Janelle Monae is still my pick.

Last edited:
janetmock.jpeg

I voted "she should never appear" but, to clarify, I mean in a Captain Marvel movie. She's essentially unrelated, Marvel just used the name because they wanted to keep using the name. There's no real in-story connection. Now that she doesn't use the name, she should appear in a different movie. If she doesn't get a solo movie, an Avengers movie would be fine.

She should use her current name at the time of the movie, btw.

I get that but if Monica is going to appear anywhere I bet she will appear here.

Janelle Monae is still my pick.

I love that!

Is that Janet Mock? I love her. She's so glamourous

I get that but if Monica is going to appear anywhere I bet she will appear here.

I doubt it. I'd expect her to appear in an Avengers film since she's most famously associated with the Avengers (as opposed to a solo character) and they aren't going to want to overshadow Carol Danvers in a Carol Danvers film by having a likely more powerful female superhero in the movie as well.

Prefer her in Avengers flick as well and just call her Monica Rambeau.

I doubt it. I'd expect her to appear in an Avengers film since she's most famously associated with the Avengers (as opposed to a solo character) and they aren't going to want to overshadow Carol Danvers in a Carol Danvers film by having a likely more powerful female superhero in the movie as well.

She wouldn't need to be powered up in her first appearance. I could see them going the route of introducing her as a friend or coworker and having her get powers in the sequel.

There's no real in-story connection.

They actually are friends and teammates in-story and even before that had teamed up in the past.

Simone Missick would be my number one pick if she wasn't acquainted with Misty Knight in TV-verse! As for Monica's alias i just can't help, but perceive her as Spectrum the best! Thats in my opinion her most character defining alias! It fits her even more than Captain Marvel tbh! But thats just me...

I really hope Dewanda is Monica. I hope she's not just the sassy black friend but I'm confident Marvel know what they're doing.

I hope she plays a massive role, like she's the conspiracy theorist that works out the skrulls have been here for years first

I've been thinking...it could be possible they are conflating Monica Rambeau and Jessica Drew (like they did with Carol and Trish Walker in the Jessica Jones series) due to the rights complications involved with Drew. Which I'd be perfectly ok with in theory, but the only problem I see there is that Monica filling Jessica's role in Carol's life could easily cause her to fall into that "sassy black friend" trope (because Jessica is basically her sassy white friend lol), so hopefully they'd be mindful of avoiding that.

Either way, I do hope Dewanda is Monica, because Monica's a seriously underrated character who deserves a spotlight, imo.

Last edited:
I've been thinking...it could be possible they are conflating Monica Rambeau and Jessica Drew (like they did with Carol and Trish Walker in the Jessica Jones series) due to the rights complications involved with the Drew. Which I'd be perfectly ok with in theory, but the only problem I see there is that Monica filling Jessica's role in Carol's life could easily cause her to fall into that "sassy black friend" trope (because Jessica is basically her sassy white friend lol), so hopefully they'd be mindful of avoiding that.

Either way, I do hope Dewanda is Monica, because Monica's a seriously underrated character who deserves a spotlight, imo.

I had a similar hesitance, but for different reasons. Monica is a prime character to get used around the MCU and maybe even show up in an Avengers sequel, and I'd hate to have the character end up like the Howling Commandos, where she only ever gets to be in one movie because it's a period film.

It's the same reason why for a long time I really didn't think we'd see Jessica Drew in the movie, since she too is the type of character you don't want to waste on a one-and-done role.

I had a similar hesitance, but for different reasons. Monica is a prime character to get used around the MCU and maybe even show up in an Avengers sequel, and I'd hate to have the character end up like the Howling Commandos, where she only ever gets to be in one movie because it's a period film.

It's the same reason why for a long time I really didn't think we'd see Jessica Drew in the movie, since she too is the type of character you don't want to waste on a one-and-done role.
I think it's too early to assume anyone else in this film is a one-and-done, considering we don't know what brings Carol to the present day MCU yet. Whatever it is, if it's a time vortex or something, could also bring other characters with her. The good thing about Monica's origin story being so simple and not particularly highly revered, is that its broad strokes can be applied to many situations. So she's a Harbor Patrolwoman or Coast Guard officer who gets exposed to extra-dimensional energy - maybe this happens during an invasion, or in space if she's captured with Carol and both their aging is affected. Who knows. Point is, at least until we know more about the plot, there are several possibilities in play that could allow the character to continue.

Either way, I agree she deserves a bigger role than only being able to appear in flashback after this.

I've been thinking...it could be possible they are conflating Monica Rambeau and Jessica Drew (like they did with Carol and Trish Walker in the Jessica Jones series) due to the rights complications involved with Drew. Which I'd be perfectly ok with in theory, but the only problem I see there is that Monica filling Jessica's role in Carol's life could easily cause her to fall into that "sassy black friend" trope (because Jessica is basically her sassy white friend lol), so hopefully they'd be mindful of avoiding that.

I'm down for that. Carol is a military lady, and Monica is a cop. I could see the paths crossing, and them both having some kind of common ground due to there occupations.

I'm curious though, if Monica meets Carol in the 90's, is she going to gain powers and either jump through time or never age?

As much as I want Dewanda to be Monica, this hasn't been confirmed. She'll probably end up just being a cliche sassy best friend.

Miranda tapsell said she would love to play storm but I reckon she would make an even better Monica. She was in one of the first Australian indigenous sci-fi shows called cleverman and she's won a stack of awards

So with the rumor that Lashana Lynch is playing
Monica's mother
I wonder if we will see her as a child in this.

I reckon she will be referenced off screen “oh my daughter also wanted to be a cop” or something and then in the sequel we will see her. We might even see dewanda wise play her by then!

Certainly solves the time problem

Posted this in the main thread as well. My choices for Monica remain:

7_C442_FA4-_E863-4_E51-8_D2_F-156_B27_ACC309.jpg

1) Nicole Beharie
2) Teyonah Parris
3) Sonequa Martin-Green

Nicole has been my top choice for quite some time, with Teyonah a close second.

I would love to see Nicole as Monica Lynne in a black panther movie. I agree, she’s perfect for a marvel role. Teyonah might be fun. Although Tiffany Hadish is such a star now she might be a fun Monica

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"