Criminal Records, do they help or hurt?

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by Bubonic, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Figs Registered

Yes that is true and correct.

But, after so many years of you keeping a clean record the employer can't hold it against you after I believe it to be 7 years. Need to ask my gf's brother when I go home to find out the correct number of years.

So it will always show up, that I agree with and know. It's just after that set number of years which I think is 7, might be 4, employers can't hold that against the applicant as long as their record has been clean since their last screwup.

2. The Guard Registered

Criminal records exist and are used for a reason: To alert police to the level of risk associated with a given person, and to alert employers and others to the potential danger that comes with hiring someone who proved to be untrustworthy in the past. While I understand that it's difficult to overcome something like this...if you don't want a criminal record, don't commit a crime. Especially a serious one. Is it unfortunate that people have trouble getting a decent shake sometimes even after they reform themselves? Yes. It's also unfortunate that so many people commited these crimes to begin with, and it's unfortunate that so many people who are given second chances commit recurring crimes that it becomes neccessary to have a warning system in place for potential employers and other social contacts in the first place.

3. Bubonic Registered

I fully understand the logic when it comes to offences that are violent in nature, or sexually devious, as not knowing might come back and haunt an employer later on.
    Even in the case of habitual theft an employer has the right to know about that risk.

But it seems like there is an acknowledgement that certain the permanence of the punishment far exceeds the crime when dealing with a mistake or random incident.

If someone punched someone out when drunk on during an isolated incident when they were 19, or got caught with glazed eyes and a pocket full of weed in their early 20's... That'll stick with them regardless of their past obedience to the laws of the land.

It might play a factor in sending them on a downward spiral. It isn't good for them, and it isn't good for society in general, when we end up creating criminals where it wasn't necessary.

It shouldn't be an; employers, loan officers, or real estate agents business that this happened, or that this person be painted with the same brush as some habitual thief.

I know many have the morally righteous stance that we should never be at odds with the law, but that isn't a clear cut reality, and doesn't make the person who messes up any less of a person then those who never strayed.

4. The Guard Registered

No, I agree in that regard. The labeling of people as criminals doesn't help anything. But unfortunately it seems to be neccessary because of that small percentage that ruins it for everyone.

5. GregComicFan movie and comic buff

Does your background matter? ABSOLUTELY. I am getting hired as a Paramedic/Firefighter in Southern Florida...let me tell you...

If you have a criminal record, you're not gonna get hired. Felon? Forget it. Misdemeanor? It better have been when you were "a stupid kid". and it better be something trivial. I know a guy who got hired in Georgia and during his interview with the Chief of the Department, he got grilled because he admitted to stealing from some clothing store when he was 13 or so, and he's 22 now. The Chief was like "I cant stand stealers" and he told him his decision to hire him was damaged due to his past incident of stealing from the store at 13. Did he get hired? Yes. But my friend had to write a detailed letter explaining why he stole at 13 yrs old.

If you have a bad driving record, you're not gonna get hired.

If you have a good driving record, but maybe 1 DUI, it better be over 5 years ago, and your driving record has been spotless since. Even then, you still stand a good chance of NOT getting hired...because they'll hire the "clean record" guy over the "I have 1 DUI 6 years ago" guy.

If you ever did HARD DRUGS (cocaine, heroin, etc.) you're not gonna get hired. You're screwed.

Pick a new profession.

If you did "stereotypical teen drugs" (marijuana), it better be when you were 16-17 years old, and you explain that you were a "stupid kid" and you did it "only once, to experiment. You better not have been a pothead for an extended period of time...and even if you only smoked pot once, you are gonna get grilled during your oral interview, and if the department gives lie-detector tests or stress tests (which most departments do) they are going to question you on your past drug history to verify what you said on your application or oral interview is, in fact, true, and that it was only once that you smoked pot and it was only that time at that age....

If you're caught lying, you're done. Game Over.

Greg

6. The Guard Registered

That is, unless you know someone in the department and they go to bat for you. :)

7. bullets bang bang

It may help you join the french foreign legion