Cringeworthy Moments in Good Movies

The crane operator in TASM. Talia's death in TDKR. Tom Cruise's "you complete me" speech in Jerry Maguire...

and Steve Carrell in anything. :p

Because it was WW2. :huh:
Almost everyone would immediately think Hitler.

Why would he be referencing Red Skull in front of a bunch of German people that didn't even know he existed? It was Hitler.

If we're talking about a different world where there are known superheroes and known villains as well, you have to think that maybe Red Skull IS known as much as Hitler is in that world, so yes, I do think it could be a reference to Red Skull. And Picard, would it matter even if some people didn't know who he was talking about as long as Cap knew what he was talking about? Not like he said that to get the attention of people to say 'Oh, that's a good one, Cap!'.

The crane operator in TASM.

Imo, not much the crane operator but that entire crane scene. But, we are talking about moments in good movies, so nevermind...lol.

If we're talking about a different world where there are known superheroes and known villains as well, you have to think that maybe Red Skull IS known as much as Hitler is in that world, so yes, I do think it could be a reference to Red Skull. And Picard, would it matter even if some people didn't know who he was talking about as long as Cap knew what he was talking about? Not like he said that to get the attention of people to say 'Oh, that's a good one, Cap!'.
If you think he was referencing Red Skull, then kudos.

Imo, not much the crane operator but that entire crane scene. But, we are talking about moments in good movies, so nevermind...lol.
Of course YOU wouldn't call TASM a good movie, Anno. :oldrazz:

It was just a terrible line from Cap to begin with.

"Mutant and proud." Not many lines have made me convulse like that one.

"I'm bringing the party to you guys" - Iron Man
"I don't see how that's a party." - Black Widow
I kinda look at this as "Whedon style" dialogue.

But back to TDKR, how about the fact that he still uses the Bat voice around Selina Kyle even though she knows who he is now?

And of course there's "So that's what that feels like", again Bat voice not needed for that one. Hell, even Keaton's Batman used his real voice when no one was around.

But back to TDKR, how about the fact that he still uses the Bat voice around Selina Kyle even though she knows who he is now?

And of course there's "So that's what that feels like", again Bat voice not needed for that one. Hell, even Keaton's Batman used his real voice when no one was around.

The bold was a moment where Bruce didn't care and had the Batman take over just like when Bruce used his Batman voice with Rachel in TDK when he choked out Dent. One reason why I love that scene of them walking up to the Bat-pod and the entire dialogue.

The other, yah...as much as I thought that scene was hilarious, Bruce could have totally used his real voice.

I actually felt that line was badass. Something a superhero from that era would say.

It definitely sounds like a line from the 40s which is why it works. He is from the 1940s. Patriotism and optimism and lines like that were normal.

Sucks when one can say patriotism was normal for the 40s but not nowadays :csad:

Apart from Talia's death, the second most cringe worthy moment in TDKR is when John Blake tries to act tough with the truck driver when he shoots him and then tried to question him by yelling at him. I like JGL, but he is not intimidating at all.

Third most cringe worthy moment in that movie is when Selina is walking down the jail cell and grabs an inmate's arms and does that ridiculous spin. Wtf was that?

It definitely sounds like a line from the 40s which is why it works. He is from the 1940s. Patriotism and optimism and lines like that were normal.

Once again, I feel that the message behind the line was really good, but it was poorly written.

Third most cringe worthy moment in that movie is when Selina is walking down the jail cell and grabs an inmate's arms and does that ridiculous spin. Wtf was that?

You mean...twisting and breaking his wrists?

Certain scene in X-Men involving Storm and Whedon dialogue.

I don't see the scene as cringe worthy. The fact Anne did the stunt for real aside, it's a great representation of the character. The guy wants to hold her hand (who wouldn't) and she takes advantage, showing how she manages to survive situations and hold her own.

Once again, I feel that the message behind the line was really good, but it was poorly written.

But you are missing the point. In the 40s and the time period Rogers is from that line would have been normal. The idea of corny and cheesy was different then and cynicism wasnt quite what it is today. It fits Roger's and is something that would come from him. Its meant to be slightly hammy and old fashioned to us but its message rings true. It goes back to the discussion Coulson and Cap have on the jet to the carrier. "I would have thought the stars and stripes would be a little old fashioned." "We need a little old fashioned." The stars and stripes, his morals, his little man taking on the big man attitude is a product of his time. They are cheesy to us but very true to him. Roger's doesnt think like us and he doesnt say stuff like us. The line is perfectly written for his character. Basically you can take Roger's out of the 40s but youbcant take the 40s out of him and that is his struggle in the film. Hulk has his rage, Stark has his ego, Thor has his family, Widow has her red ledger, Hawk has his guilt, and Rogers is a man out of time. They all have to face this stuff.

Last edited:
But you are missing the point. In the 40s and the time period Rogers is from that line would have been normal. The idea of corny and cheesy was different then and cynicism wasnt quite what it is today. It fits Roger's and is something that would come from him. Its meant to be slightly hammy and old fashioned. It goes back to the discussion Coulson and Cap have on the jet to the carrier. "I would have thought the stars and stripes would be a little old fashioned." "We need a little old fashioned." Roger's doesnt think like us and he doesnt say stuff like us. The line is perfectly written for his character.

People didn't REALLY speak like that in the 40s. In movies, comic books, etc, you'd hear that. But come on... I guess I'm just not a fan of Cap to begin with, so whatever.

People didn't REALLY speak like that in the 40s. In movies, comic books, etc, you'd hear that. But come on... I guess I'm just not a fan of Cap to begin with, so whatever.

That's because he is a 1940s comic character. Its a part of who he is. In a time of tyrants and destruction people wanted that on the nose patriotism and absolute morals so we got Captain America. I hated the first CA film because of the on the nose corny stuff but once I accepted that this is a product of the times the character was introduced and that it is true to the character I accepted it. In the 21st century its corny but in the context of the character all this stuff is right. Ive come to love the CA film and Roger's story. Took me a while to come around but this character is just right.

Last edited:
He's a pretty outdated character. I only like him at all because I appreciate the idea of a man being out of his place and time.

He's a pretty outdated character. I only like him at all because I appreciate the idea of a man being out of his place and time.

He is outdated but I like the out of place and time like you do.

Am I the only one that likes him because he's the embodiment of America? The GREAT elements of the country and not the total bs garbage you see as of late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"