Cryptocurrency & Stock Investing

Damn, they are all tanking today!

Bitcoin -23% to 6,617.
Ripple -20%
Ethereum -21.5%
Litecoin -17%

Ya but even the regular stock market has been in a dip as of late. No different. This is why you only invest with what you're willing to lose. If you've got extra funds then this is the best time to buy.

yeah i'm going to ride it out, but i'm also contemplating buying while it's dropping really low.

if i knew whether the govt was going to shutdown again on thursday night, it'd help me make up my mind lol

yeah i'm going to ride it out, but i'm also contemplating buying while it's dropping really low.

if i knew whether the govt was going to shutdown again on thursday night, it'd help me make up my mind lol

Can you tell me where your avatar's from?

julianne hough music video

I had bought some crypto when bitcoin was at ~$16,500 and I've lost significant money on it, a few thousand dollars. I don't know if it will ever recover. The technology is a good idea, but the fundamental obstacles are significant.

1) Governments don't like crypto.
2) Bitcoin is the standard and has a lot of problems, including low speed and high fees.
3) Inflation of the crypto money supply due to new coins being made all the time.

Was hoping this stock market dip would have stayed for a few more days so my 401k purchase on Fri could have bought in a bit cheaper and my Stash shares too. Market dips just like Crypto, no big surprise there.

Ya but even the regular stock market has been in a dip as of late. No different. This is why you only invest with what you're willing to lose. If you've got extra funds then this is the best time to buy.

I was just reporting the moves. ;)

I don't think cryptos are anything like stocks yet, at least not large cap stocks. Maybe stocks in the time before the majority of the population had some kind of stock related investment be it through their pension or otherwise, or maybe like penny stocks.

That isn't to say there isn't much to be gained from putting money into them but their returns will follow very different patterns IMO. I will definitely have something in them for the long term.

i'm playing the long term game too.

i did however, trade out my BitCoin Cash for Ripple. so I now have 46 Ripple

Keeps looking like Robinhood is the way to go for crypto trading and even stocks. No fees on crypto and a pretty streamlined experience all the way around. If you haven't checked it out yet download the app. Word on the street is the big 2 in crypto trading are making things more difficult as they've been bought out by Big Banks looking to keep crypto down as a viable alternative.

If anyone is looking to use Robinhood for investing in crypto or regular stocks you can use my referral link here and we will both get a free share of stock in a company.

Join Robinhood and we'll both get a stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint for free. Make sure you use my link. https://share.robinhood.com/nicholk1186

market has tanked a little lately. but i'm trying to play a long game. If Litecoin ever goes above $300 again, i may go ahead and cash that one out though and focus on BitCoin, Ethereum and Ripple

Suits me. I want to buy for long term only so I'd prefer to get in after a short term fall.

my crypto portfolio is worth about half what it used to be, with all the ones i'm invested in on a downward kick. but it's a long game that i'm willing to wait out as i invested some disposable income and haven't really lost any money yet.

now i'm wanting to branch out and start investing in some stocks and build a small portfolio. i'm using Robinhood to start off with, and i'm following some companies that I want to research. I have 2 shares of the Cronos Group so far and haven't invested in anything else. yet lol.

if anyone wants to try out Robinhood (free), and wants a free stock on top of that, my referral is Here

Last edited:
so i bought 2 shares of Nike on a whim today on RobinHood. we'll see how that goes

Almost $500,000 in Ethereum Classic coin stolen by forking its blockchain

Hope no one had anything invested in that currency.

Attackers have stolen almost $500,000 worth of the Ethereum Classic digital currency by carrying out a compute-intensive hack that rewrote its blockchain, officials with Coinbase, one of the leading crypto currency exchanges, said on Monday.

The heist was the result of carrying out what's known as a rollback attack, which allowed the attackers to reorganize the Ethereum blockchain, Coinbase security engineer Mark Nesbitt said in a blog post. From there, the attackers were able to "double spend" about 88,500 ETC, meaning they were able to recover previously spent coins and transfer them to a new entity. As a result, the coins were effectively transferred from the rightful recipients to new entities chosen by the attackers.

"We observed repeated deep reorganizations of the Ethereum Classic blockchain, most of which contained double spends," Nesbitt wrote. "The total value of the double spends that we have observed thus far is 88,500 ETC (~$460,000)."

Rollback attacks are often referred to as 51-percent attacks, because, in theory, they require an attacker to control a majority of the CPU power generating a blockchain. Such an arrangement violates a core requirement of any blockchain-based currency: it allows a single entity to write the contents of its universal, shared transaction history.

Nesbitt wrote:

The function of mining is to add transactions to the universal, shared transaction history, known as the blockchain. This is done by producing blocks, which are bundles of transactions, and defining the canonical history of transactions as the longest chain of blocks. If a single miner has more resources than the entirety of the rest of the network, this miner could pick an arbitrary previous block from which to extend an alternative block history, eventually outpacing the block history produced by the rest of the network and defining a new canonical transaction history.

This is called a "chain reorganization," or "reorg" for short. All reorgs have a "depth," which is the number of blocks that were replaced, and a "length," which is the number of new blocks that did the replacing.

Stated a different way, a rollback attack generates a new fork of the blockchain. This causes nodes to replace the original blockchain with the new one and makes it possible for attackers to reverse previously made transactions. Rollback attacks require control of a substantial fraction of the total hashpower devoted to generating the coin's blockchain for a period long enough to pull off the attack. Bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto warned of the key limitation in his white paper introducing the digital coin.

Coinbase paused movements of affected ETC funds to prevent any double spends from hitting its users. Meanwhile, the Kraken Exchange temporarily halted ETC deposits and withdrawals and plans to bring ETC funding back online once exchange officials believe it is safe to do so. ETC officials, for their part, have confirmed that double spends are affecting the currency, but they have yet to say more.

Ars Technica

Mystery as Quadriga crypto-cash goes missing

Efforts to recover millions in crypto-cash from the digital wallets of a man who died without revealing passwords to access them have hit a snag.

The wallets have been found to be empty.

The discovery was made by a firm appointed to oversee QuadrigaCX after the death of founder Gerald Cotten.

It expected to find the wallets full of C$180m ($137m; £105m) in crypto-cash deposited by the coin exchange's customers.

Mr Cotten, who died in India in December, had sole responsibility for handling the funds and coins passing through the site.

Inviting fraud

The master key to unlock the wallets was held on Mr Cotten's laptop but he died without letting anyone else know the passphrase to unlock the device. Most of the digital cash that customers deposited with the exchange was supposed to be kept in "cold storage" to prevent it being hacked or stolen.

The cash represented the virtual currency holdings of 115,000 QuadrigaCX customers.

Mr Cotten's death forced the closure of QuadrigaCX and auditor Ernst & Young was appointed to wind it up.

Its investigation has secured access to Mr Cotten's laptop but also revealed that the digital wallets had been cleaned out months before he died.

In a report on its discovery, E&Y investigators said they did not know what had happened to the bitcoins they expected to find in storage.

However, the company said, it found evidence that Mr Cotten had 14 other user accounts "created outside the normal process" that may have been used to trade on the QuadrigaCX exchange.

E&Y is now trying to gather information about the trading done via these other accounts to see if it can trace how much crypto-cash passed through them.

A reward of $100,000 has been offered by one former QuadrigaCX customer for information about where the exchange's cash has gone.

"The unregulated nature of cryptocurrency exchanges, plus the fact that so many use them to hold their coins rather than just exchange them, invites fraud," said security expert Dr Alan Woodward from the University of Surrey.

"We really need exchanges to be regulated," he said. "The big question is who would do that."

He added: "If anyone is using an exchange to hold their coins I would encourage then to do the most in-depth due diligence they possibly can."
BBC

These kinds of stories don’t exactly inspire confidence.

what about investing in cryto these days? Is it still profitable?

I'm into blockchain business right now. Hope it is stil be profitable in the next few years.I know how to monetize web traffic. I found one marketplace with the most relevant crypto audience, they provide effective and affordable ads with flexible pricing models.

Last edited:
I've just taken the plunge and set myself up on a website that will allow me to start buying and selling cryptocurrency...
Thought I would start with some low value ones such as XRP and Litecoin. Then just leave them there for at least the next 5-10 years and hope for the best.

Any advice on buying others? They have to be low cost because I don't have much money!

Another thing is that I am looking at going into crypto mining with a friend (yes I trust him) and was wondering if anyone here has any experience and/or knowledge of this and would care to advise?
About the only thing I am sure of is to buy an ASIC based computer...

Thanks... :yay:

Everything has been soaring as of late. Heck, I've almost evened out at my initial investment. However I can't trade my alt coins for ETH thanks to Binance US not being legal in NY yet. Nothing to do but hodl...

ive made almost $200 this month alone on Robinhood. i haven't even checked my cryptocurrencies yet.

edit; i have almost $1500 in combined cryptocurrencies via Coinbase.

Last edited:
i totally forgot i had crypto on Bitsane and they've seemingly vanished. Will I be able to get back my monies or transfer them? I'm afraid they're lost forever

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"