'Da Vinci Code' Sparks Indian Riots

patrickbateman

Sidekick
Joined
Jul 11, 2004
Messages
4,352
Reaction score
0
Points
31
Controversial new movie adaptation The Da Vinci Code has prompted religious protests in the Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay). Hundreds of Catholic stalwarts yesterday gathered outside a convent school in the city in a bid to stop the film's release next week , blasting it as an attack on their faith. Members of the Catholic Secular Forum (CSF) have taken offence to the movie's depiction of Catholic group Opus Dei as corrupt, out-dated and at the centre of a cover-up of the truth about Jesus Christ. Csf general secretary Joseph Dias says, "Activists will go on a fast unto death if the government fails to take action against anti-Christian movies. You can't make fiction on a religious figure. Tempers are already running quite high and there's no way of saying what could happen if the movie is released." In a statement, the group added: "The Da Vinci Code is offensive as it hit certain basic foundations of the religion." The protest is the second in a week by the CSF after Tuesday saw approximately one hundred demonstrators take to the streets outside a Mumbai church and burn copies of the Dan Brown novel.



ITS A ****IN MOVIE MAN GET OVER IT SCREW THE CSF :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
 
Religion causing problems agian :) Nothing but trouble!
 
It could be worse. They could be blowing stuff up instead of fasting.
 
It is fiction. It was written as fiction. The author says he wrote it as fiction. Taking this as being a proposal of real evidence is ignorant and stupid.

I've seen this on both sides of the spectrum. Religious people get pissed off about it, because they consider it an insult, and I've seen people who aren't religious (including a bunch of my friends) hold it up as vindication that the Bible is a lie, and that the Catholic Church is concealing things.

It's ridiculous what has been made of what is just a fairly good mystery/adventure novel.
 
patrickbateman said:
Controversial new movie adaptation The Da Vinci Code has prompted religious protests in the Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay). Hundreds of Catholic stalwarts yesterday gathered outside a convent school in the city in a bid to stop the film's release next week , blasting it as an attack on their faith. Members of the Catholic Secular Forum (CSF) have taken offence to the movie's depiction of Catholic group Opus Dei as corrupt, out-dated and at the centre of a cover-up of the truth about Jesus Christ. Csf general secretary Joseph Dias says, "Activists will go on a fast unto death if the government fails to take action against anti-Christian movies. You can't make fiction on a religious figure. Tempers are already running quite high and there's no way of saying what could happen if the movie is released." In a statement, the group added: "The Da Vinci Code is offensive as it hit certain basic foundations of the religion." The protest is the second in a week by the CSF after Tuesday saw approximately one hundred demonstrators take to the streets outside a Mumbai church and burn copies of the Dan Brown novel.



ITS A ****IN MOVIE MAN GET OVER IT SCREW THE CSF :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Damn, they are going to have an awesome BO.......they are getting excellent free publicity....
 
at least they aint blowing themselves up over it and destroying and burning embassies over a damn cartoon
 
i'm half punjabi indian and half pakistani... i follow certain principles of several religions but ultimately i am not a huge fan of religion myself... it's a great concept when applied properly, which well, well over 60% of the ****s in this world don't do, hence the violence.
 
With their priests boning kids, I think the Catholics have other things to worry about.
 
JMAfan said:
Damn, they are going to have an awesome BO.......they are getting excellent free publicity....

All part of the master plan. Dance, puppets, dance!
 
Palpadious said:
With their priests boning kids, I think the Catholics have other things to worry about.


Nah, judging others is top priority.
 
This is so ****ing stupid. IT'S A FICTIONAL STORY. A crappy fictional story at that.
 
C.F. Kane said:
It could be worse. They could be blowing stuff up instead of fasting.


Great point. We've seen something like that recently.
 
Leto Atrides said:
It is fiction. It was written as fiction. The author says he wrote it as fiction. Taking this as being a proposal of real evidence is ignorant and stupid.

I've seen this on both sides of the spectrum. Religious people get pissed off about it, because they consider it an insult, and I've seen people who aren't religious (including a bunch of my friends) hold it up as vindication that the Bible is a lie, and that the Catholic Church is concealing things.

It's ridiculous what has been made of what is just a fairly good mystery/adventure novel.


Brown has stated that it is only "fiction" in that the characters are fictional. He claims that the elements in the story are truth.

A. that Jesus was married to Mary Magdelene
B. that he was never crucified
C. the the church covered this up
D. that Constantine made the Nicean counsel declare Jesus as God
E. That the Priory of Sion was a secret organization that Da Vinci belonged
to, that held the secret documents about Jesus & Mary Magdelene.
F. That The Opus Dei have murderous monks that will kill to keep the secret.

And much more.........

All a pack of lies. But Brown says they are true. That's why Christians are upset!

So you can stop falling back on the "It's only fiction" card. This issue is deeper than that.
 
It's fiction, relax.
And if you're that religious, your faith shouldn't be shaken by a movie.
 
celldog said:
Brown has stated that it is only "fiction" in that the characters are fictional. He claims that the elements in the story are truth.

A. that Jesus was married to Mary Magdelene
B. that he was never crucified
C. the the church covered this up
D. that Constantine made the Nicean counsel declare Jesus as God
E. That the Priory of Sion was a secret organization that Da Vinci belonged
to, that held the secret documents about Jesus & Mary Magdelene.
F. That The Opus Dei have murderous monks that will kill to keep the secret.

And much more.........

All a pack of lies. But Brown says they are true. That's why Christians are upset!

So you can stop falling back on the "It's only fiction" card. This issue is deeper than that.

That I didn't know, that Brown publicly said he believes these things. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if he said this things simply for the publicity.
 
echostation said:
at least they aint blowing themselves up over it and destroying and burning embassies over a damn cartoon

So True.... But no one will give them credit for their restrained response. They will find more fault in their peaceful demonstration than they found in the Muslim violent demonstration. Watch.
 
ampersand said:
That I didn't know, that Brown publicly said he believes these things. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if he said this things simply for the publicity.


Brown has a "gnostic" world-view. It stands to reason that he truly believes these things.
 
celldog said:
Brown has a "gnostic" world-view. It stands to reason that he truly believes these things.

1. I know what gnostic means, no need for the quotes.
2. It does stand to reason that he might believe these things, but I still think he's looking for more publicity.
3. The bold words thing is really annoying.
 
Brown can't decide which way he believes. If he said he really does, I feel it's probably due to publicity.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
200,771
Messages
21,808,757
Members
45,627
Latest member
WolverineHunt01
Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"