The Force Awakens Daisy Ridley as Rey

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnarTheGreat

Web Ninja
Reaction score
H7iFjZPl.jpg

There’s been no shortage of rumors about the character played by Daisy Ridley, but even the name being used in that speculation—Kira—has now been proven false. All we have at this point is her first name, Rey, so… maybe we’ll find out eventually whether her surname reveals deeper family connections.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/12/11/star-wars-the-force-awakens-character-names/5/

Daisy Ridley said:
We discover Rey on the desert planet Jakku. She is a scavenger in like a ship graveyard and she is like completely self-sufficient. She does everything for herself and very solitary until she meets another character and an adventure begins.

Index of some of my posts highlighted here:

Table read photo (2014/04/29)

Image comparison between Leia, Padmé, and Rey

Mark Hamill says the story is about the offspring of the original characters and the new generation.

George Lucas comments on abandoned idea for Indiana Jones's daughter. Harrison Ford comments on character changes when returning to roles in sequels.

Disney XD special segment talks about Rey's goggles.

Miscellaneous Chloe Bruce (stunt double) information

Daisy Ridley tops Fandango list for anticipated Biggest Female Breakout Movie Star of 2015

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Comparison between Luke (Episode IV) and Rey (Episode VII)

Praise for Ridley from the cast, extras, and the writer/director of Episode VIII

Brendon Connelly of Bleeding Cool's articles about Episode VII

Ridley's talent and PR agencies

Rey merchandise

(Celebration 2015) Ridley says where we discover Rey in the first act of the movie

(Celebration 2015) Oscar Isaac, Ridley, and John Boyega talk Star Wars

Han Solo concept art from Episode III

Abrams talks about what he liked about not knowing things about the original Star Wars.

Pre-Star Wars (1977) McQuarrie concept art of female "Luke"

Image comparison between Rey (Episode VII) and Luke (Episode IV)

Kathleen Kennedy: Ridley was found through a massive talent search. We're changing things so that the characters better reflect the audience.

Image comparison between Anakin (Episode I), Luke (Episode IV), and Rey (Episode VII)

Shot comparison between Anakin (Episode II), Luke (Episode IV), and Rey (Episode VII)

Ridley interviewed by Entertainment Weekly

(Celebration 2015) JJ Abrams, Bob Iger, and Kennedy at the "Kira's bumper car" display

(Celebration 2015) More details about "Kira's bumper car"

Ridley and cast on the cover of Vanity Fair's June 2015 issue. Ridley speaks in behind-the-scenes of the photoshoot video.

Work-in-progress sculpture of Rey at Lucasfilm

Ridley and Kennedy in Japan compilation post of links to interviews and videos. Link to post compiling some information pertaining to the role of family in Star Wars.

JJ Abrams: The withholding of the character's full name is intentional.

Hasbro Rey (Starkiller Base) figure: "Rey is a resilient survivor, a scavenger toughened by a lifetime of dealing with the cutthroats of the harsh desert world of Jakku."

Daisy Ridley verified Instagram account

Exclusive commemorative Disney D23 Expo 2015 Drew Struzan poster for The Force Awakens

Dialect coach Andrew Jack worked with Ridley on a RP British accent for The Force Awakens

360 degree video of Rey's speeder on Jakku

LEGO Rey advertisement mini-movies

Hasbro Star Wars Duels Card Game

See also this legacy thread:
Young Female Lead? - Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3 - Post 4

Last edited:
Rey could also be a nickname or an alias if she's trying to conceal her identity.

Reyna is a better name than Rey. Hoping for an Annie -> Anakin situation here.

No. Don't care for Annie.

Reyna is okay. But I'm fine with Rey.

Rey Solo

is my guess

Han and Leia must hide her on Tatooine because she is force sensitive?

No. Don't care for Annie.

Reyna is okay. But I'm fine with Rey.

i think he was talking nicknames. wasn't annie anakin's nickname when he was younger? i think magnar is saying he hopes rey is short for reyna.

She is a Skywalker damn it & not a Solo

Rey, eh? Now if we only knew her last name.

8OWzAym.jpg

Not a coincidental casting choice IMO. It could be smoked and mirrored all they want, I'm not buying it as an accidental casting.

Rey sounds like a rather masculine name... like "Ray." I'm hoping its short for something else because it doesn't seem to fit IMO.

The most intriguing thing to me is that we didnt get a last name. So i think they're trying to conceil it for a reason. I think Rey is a nickname she goes by, and we'll have to wait a bit longer to find out who she really is, which i doubt they'll reveal before the movie is released.

Rey sounds like a rather masculine name... like "Ray." I'm hoping its short for something else because it doesn't seem to fit IMO.

In other countries like Japan there are females named that I believe I remember a old JRPG ( I can't remember what one but that name sounds familiar in the way its spelled) I think that used that name. And anymore I see so many male names turned female and vice versa any more.

I think it will fit when we see it more in context.

I do also wonder if it is pronounced differently too. We have no idea, but I'm sure once we see the character do cool things, we get used to it. I'm wondering if it's pronounced "Ree" not "Ray".

But ya lots of unknowns still.

idk.....Reya would sound better, imo.

Rey just sounds kind of.........plain.

Were you surprised that you’re not in the first trailer?

[Hamill:] Not really. This is about the new generation of characters; I think that’s the most important thing. It’s the opening act of a whole new approach to the storytelling. So I never thought that the stories would be – first of all, I never thought I’d be involved in it again, period. And then when George [Lucas] said that they wanted to do more, I rightly assumed that it wouldn’t be our story, because we had a beginning, a middle, and an end. This must be our offspring and the current generation, with us there lending the kind of support that Peter Cushing and Alec Guinness did in the original. So no, that didn’t surprise me. And I mean, I’m one of those people where I just think, “Keep me out of it. I’ll ruin it, I’m sure!” [Laughs] I’ll show up and just ruin the whole thing.

You are the only person who thinks you could ruin a Star Wars trailer!

[Hamill:] I don’t want that pressure! It’s too much pressure! You know, because I said to George, “Have you really thought this through? Because maybe it’s not such a great idea.” But I had a feeling, I said, “You know what – if there’s a weak link, if Carrie [Fisher] or Harrison [Ford] decides they don’t want to do it, there’s an out. Because it’s all or nothing. It should be all of us or none of us.” So I was ready to go either way. And now that we’re all in, we’ll see what happens.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/mark-hamill-on-playing-with-the-star-wars-the-105015597302.html (December 12, 2014)

Gee, I've been all wrapped up with this Sony & Marvel thing over Spider-Man, I missed the tidbit about names!

I think I like Kira better, but as long as she's a cool charcater, the name doesn't really matter.

Anybody could come up with a logical reason for why she she is either a Skywalker or a Solo. We just wont know until we know

Based on what little we know for certain based on spoilers and such, the simplest scenario - and the one with the most thematic parallels to what's come before - is that Rey is a Skywalker whose mother is basically a non-entity in the story. Picture the following:
* Luke meets and falls in love with Rey's mother, but something happens to drive or push them apart
* Luke disappears
* Something happens to Rey's mother, resulting in Rey living a vagabond's life on her own

Such a scenario would not only be mythologically plausible, it would also be very much in Lucas' style and in Abrams and Kasdan's 'wheelhouse'.

Last edited:
Based on what little we know for certain based on spoilers and such, the simplest scenario - and the one with the most thematic parallels to what's come before - is that Rey is a Skywalker whose mother is basically a non-entity in the story. Picture the following:
* Luke meets and falls in love with Rey's mother, but something happens to drive or push them apart
* Luke disappears
* Something happens to Rey's mother, resulting in Rey living a magazine's life on her own

Such a scenario would not only be mythologically plausible, it would also be very much in Lucas' style and in Abrams and Kasdan's 'wheelhouse'.

Hollywood does love making heroes dead beat dads

Well, I'm still hoping they don't go the deadbeat/ignorant dad route. Maybe that would work better with a villain offspring.

In the beginning it was a daughter [Indiana Jones] didn't know about. And I thought that'd be a great thing. Stephen [Spielberg] actually didn't like that idea. So David [Koepp] revisited the idea again as a son. And then this time we approached it, when then he sort of said...'Ok'.

In the beginning it was approached kind of [Mutt] was a nerd, kind of a straight-laced kid that wore suits and things. And then later on we decided that isn't the way that it should work. It should work that he's the wild kid which is what Indy was to his father.

So, just like he was to his father going off and doing all the wrong things and disobeying and doing all this stuff, now Indy's faced with the same mess.

The curse returns in the form of his son.

[Karen Allen] told fans, "I just heard Natalie Portman was cast as Indy's daughter." One fan in attendance says, "She (Allen) immediately changed the subject as if she knew she shouldn't have said anything."

http://hub.contactmusic.com/news/portman-to-play-indiana-jones-daughter_1002078

6. The son wishes he was a daughter instead
Fedoras off to LaBeouf, the talented young actor put between a rock and a hard place, cast in the most-anticipated movie of the last decade — and unable to talk about it. But now that the cat’s officially out of the bag and everybody knows he’s Henry Jones III, would it surprise you to know he actually wishes there was a Henrietta instead? “As a fan, yeah, I thought it would have been cool to see Natalie Portman in this movie as the daughter, but that didn’t happen,” he told MTV News , being a bit coy about his own role. “But I was on that bandwagon. I was in the Natalie Portman fan club. I have a strange attraction to Natalie Portman.”

http://www.mtv.com/news/1587846/ind...crystal-skulls-to-shia-labeoufs-pulled-groin/

Q: So when you're with a character for six, seven, eight years when you're making the second movie and then the third movie. Do you feel like the character has changed? Do you feel like "oh, I feel like he's more this!" or "I wish I hadn't done that!" or "He's evolved."?

Harrison Ford: No. I don't think that's it. I think what you do is--when we were doing the Indiana Jones movies, for instance--I thought it was important that we bring something new about the character. That was really important about the character to the audience. And that's--and we did. We did that. We did that with introducing my father, with introducing my son. And suddenly the audience was--"there's a whole new stuff here!". And it makes it more interesting I think for an audience.

NERDIST PODCAST: HARRISON FORD (begins shortly after 18 minutes in) (October 30, 2013)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"