Daredevil, Civil War, and the Sokovia Accords

Discussion in 'Daredevil' started by TheVileOne, Jan 30, 2016.

1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

Except the Avengers aren't paid by the city state or federal government either.

2. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

They are, however, internationally active, which is the important thing.

3. MbJ

MbJ Well-Known Member

They're discussing Jessica Jones and Infinity War, but it applies to this topic as well.

4. Rorschach2012

Rorschach2012 I'll Cancel the Pizzas

What is the point then? If none of these characters are going to show up in the movies, then why can’t we get cinematic versions of the characters where they interact with the other heroes

5. TheVileOne

I guess we now have to just resign ourselves to the idea that they are all separate and that's how it is at this point. "It's all connected" is pretty superficial at this point.

6. dmcreif

dmcreif Well-Known Member

The issue is with timing and schedule coordination. Movies take much longer to develop than TV show seasons, and you never know which shows are going to be renewed and when, especially when the Netflix shows aren't released on a regular schedule.

It may not be ideal for fans, but we have to remember these guys can only do so much with the mediums they're using. It's easy to cross-over characters in the comics because there aren't actor schedules, contracts, and budgets to deal with.

7. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

I get why people want crossovers, really I do. But, that being said, within the confines of the world of the MCU, Daredevil is small potatoes. As are the others. They don't have the power or influence that the MCU film characters have. Since they're small potatoes, Daredevil teaming with Captain America seems off cause Cap faces bigger threats, etc. I understand hearing things like that is disappointing given we all grew up in comics where things like Daredevil teaming with Spider-Man happened frequently, but at the same time, the TV characters and movie characters not meeting makes sense to me just based on scales and tiers. The only character I could see from TV making that jump at this point would be Ghost Rider, as he is very OP relative to TV characters, and could walk in the same circles as Dr. Strange realistically. But, even if that never happens, I am okay with it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  8. Random490

Random490 Well-Known Member

I feel like the MCU has done a really good job at creating plausible reasons for other characters to not be involved. Only a few times were there moments that I thought, "Okay the Avengers should definitely be here".

At the end of the day the agents of shield have to be the heroes of their own story, Daredevil has to be exclusive to Netflix since that's the back bone of their business plan, and the movies shouldn't expect an audience to be on board with required tv viewings in order to understand seemingly new characters in the story. And it's certainly better that Marvel Studios emphasize on story first rather just cram as many characters in as possible.

9. TheVileOne

To me there's very good reason for Agents of SHIELD to have shown up in some of these instances. Not necessarily the Avengers. I don't need to see Daredevil teaming up with Captain America and the Avengers. But the Sokovia Accords are legislation for regulating all enhanced individuals, and that was said on Agents of SHIELD.

10. Spider-Fan

Meh. In Luke Cage, it basically boiled down to him fighting someone in a street fight. Hardly something so grand it needed Sokovia Cords attention. Iron Fist largely was out of the public eye. I can see why it never came into play.

11. Random490

Same with Daredevil, mostly street criminals and things out of the public eye. Jessica Jones' entire premise is that no one believes them about the threat.

12. Spider-Fan

Didn't JJ and DD1 predate Civil War anyway? I thought they were in 2015.

13. dmcreif

dmcreif Well-Known Member

The Accords don't apply to the Netflix heroes.

14. Random490

I was speaking in a broader terms of Avengers/Shield not showing up and how that makes sense.

15. metaphysician

They almost certainly don't apply to *anyone* whose not an internationally-active superhero.

16. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Well-Known Member

Are you basing this solely on the movies or also on what's established in the TV show?

17. Random490

This has been brought up multiple times in the thread. Based on the evidence from both tv and films the Accords deal with international use of the enhanced. Rules on how governments and private organization can deploy enhanced agents overseas. It seems that domestic laws concerning the enhanced are not defined. And the netflix heroes already fall under existing laws about vigilantism under the NYPD jurisdiction.

Of course this is all based on current evidence, unless something new is introduced this is what it is.

18. righthooksrus86

righthooksrus86 Well-Known Member

I agree it just doesn't make sense anymore...You got newspaper clippings about "The Incident" and the "Battle of NY" and even references to the Hulk's battle with the abomination but no signs of the Avengers towers or the characters themselves. I've personally accepted that they're just seperate but both owned by Marvel. Personally I prefer the shows anyway I.E. Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Punisher and Luke Cage, the movies are fun and a good time out with your family and friends but as an adult the shows are more my speed.

19. metaphysician

Or it could just be they don't feel like spending budget CGIing a tower into the cityscape shots?

20. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Well-Known Member

I'm sure the show uses CGI, particularly as airbrushing, but have they used any CGI to create images (except maybe dragon eyes) in any of the shows? A physical building would be a significant departure from what they've done so far.

21. Random490

That's definitely it.
    Well aside from things like the Iron fists and there's plenty of green screen scene shots. As for full cgi 3d modeling not much. Whenever they do a fictional large building like Midland circle (I think that's a fake building) or Kun Lun it's always a still shot. Never something like a helicopter shot. Thing you have to remember is that effects cost money and shows getting renewed depends on coming under budget and getting large viewership. While Avengers Tower is a nice bit of world building it doesn't effect the plot or characters in any significant way, you want the budget to be laser focus of the contents of the show. It's a balancing of substance, think of it like "Okay we can add the Tower in all these shots, but then you can't afford this set to be finished, or this actor to be hired, or enough filming days at this location."

As much as I want to see it, I'd rather have a good show than a where's waldo with a building.