Daredevil Daredevil: FULL SEASON ONE Discussion Thread (BEWARE, SPOILERS GALORE!)

I didn't love it. Thought the series was just ok.....it seemed to drag a little after the half way point. They could of cut it down 10 episodes and the writing would of been a lot tighter. I guess I just had higher expectations for a show from Marvel/Netflix/Steven Deknight. And the cowl/mask needs work...it just seemed off.

In my opinion this is one of the best things the MCU has ever put out. Such a joy to see the characters done right, I can't praise the cast and crew enough. I think my favourite episode might be 'Stick', but all of them were brilliant to be honest.

I enjoyed the series. Easily the best thing to come out of the MCU (though that's not hard).

My only issues with it came from the end. The ending was very lackluster compared to all the build up (the last 2 eps just drag).

And worst of all, the suit (No matter how cool an alt design it may be) does not justify the decision go hide it until the series dropped, nor not giving it to him until the last 15 minutes of the series.

7.5 out of 10, for me.

It was pretty seamless, I was just specifically looking for the cuts.

On a side note, it's interesting the billy clubs he gets in the final episode didn't seem to have the grappling hook in them.

Well they said it was 1 take, so were they lying? Why would they feel the need to lie.

Well they said it was 1 take, so were they lying? Why would they feel the need to lie.

Maybe it was, I just could see places where they could have easily cut if they wanted to so I assumed they did, much the same way as Birdman hid the cuts. When did they specifically say it was one take?

Last edited:
Anyway fantastic series.

Not that fussed that Ulrich died. This is a tv show that has one story arc per series. Will they need a newspaper reporter going forward? They obviously don't think so.

Will be interesting to see how they fit superpowers into this world going forward.

Sorry haven't read comics a while. I'm taking it your not talking about the guy with the big mohawk?

Nah, the guy who made Fisk's and Daredevil's costumes.

item11985.1.jpg

Will they need a newspaper reporter going forward? They obviously don't think so.

Doesn't mean they should just kill off a character. Ben Urich could have been used for plenty of stories, but now they can't.

[YT]/watch?v=W7fYIMEQ1Xw[/YT]

I see potential cuts at 0:38, 1:05 and 1:37. At all of these times the frame is filled for a split second with either very dark shadows or materials making it easier to hide a cut. And the two second times I mentioned the camera swings from one side of the hallway to the other which it would not be able to do in such a narrow hallway with all the stunt men in the way. If they specifically said it was one take then so be it, but I don't think it was.

I really fell in love with The Flash this season. I knew 4 episodes into this that this was on a whole other level of anything even attempted by other shows in the genre. It really is special.

Doesn't mean they should just kill off a character. Ben Urich could have been used for plenty of stories, but now they can't.

Think someone on the team had to die at some point. So you feel for the characters and what they have been through. It makes it personal between them and Fisk as well.
They could have used Ben for plenty of stories but that goes for every character in the series. Now they wont. They'll either not have a newspaper reporter. Or use a different one.

The black sky stuff was pretty confusing but I'm sure it was just a set up for a future show, perhaps The Defenders.

Think someone on the team had to die at some point. So you feel for the characters and what they have been through. It makes it personal between them and Fisk as well.
They could have used Ben for plenty of stories but that goes for every character in the series. Now they wont. They'll either not have a newspaper reporter. Or use a different one.

They'll probably use a "Ben-like" character if need be in future series. But, as good of a character Ben is in the comics...he unfortunately isn't needed in the show. I would've loved to see him stick around though. He never even figured out who Daredevil was!

Well, just finished. Such an excellent season of television. Only disappointments for me were the death of Urich (as great a scene as that was), that Fisk was never actually dubbed "The Kingpin"...and the design of the cowl could still use some work. The suit looks fine to me but the cowl's still wonky. All about the sculpt of the brows, lol. But seriously, those are such nitpicks. This was amazing. Bring on S2.

I do hope to see Gao again, too. Maybe in Iron Fist? Surely that was K'un-Lun she was off to.

Fisk was never called Kingpin was he, 'King' was mentioned a bunch of times. But never Kingpin that I heard.

For me there were two key points of him becoming full Kingpin though, when he told Vanessa about killing his wife, his voice went from kind of a calm whisper to much angrier in most scenes after that.

And then obviously when he got arrested and was in the van telling the Samaritan story, and how he realised he was the robber.

I was kind of expecting the final headline to read 'Daredevil takes down Kingpin of Crime'

Well in all fairness he really wasn't exposed until that last bit which all happened very quickly in terms of how it played out on the show. I think he will be reborn the Kingpin once he beats his charges which I'm sure he will like he does in the comics.

I hope he wears the white suit next season.

I think he may become fond of white due to the last shot of him wearing a white jumpsuit in prison. He also may take a que from Vanessa's prince in the way he wants to convey himself moving forward

I'm thinking the reason why he didn't go by Kingpin is because now he has revealed himself to the public, when he breaks out of prison in the future he will need a new name and that's when he will use Kingpin.

Same here, now that he is completely about doing bad and making money he will retitle himself and build his brand that way

The black sky stuff was pretty confusing but I'm sure it was just a set up for a future show, perhaps The Defenders.

I'm pretty sure that was a set up for Iron Fist, Gao mentions here home is much farther away than Chine (Kun-Lun), her heroin is called the Iron Serpent which is an Iron Fist bad guy, and she was able to put DD on his ass with a flick of her wrist (alluding to chi powers I assume)

They'll probably use a "Ben-like" character if need be in future series. But, as good of a character Ben is in the comics...he unfortunately isn't needed in the show. I would've loved to see him stick around though. He never even figured out who Daredevil was!

I'm of the mindset they could have easily moved him to the Daily Bugle now that Spidey is in the MCU but no real sweat off my back that they killed Ben. Admittedly I'm not a huge DD comic reader but I just assume going forward anything involving a paper will now be done with the Bugle.

Think Fisk never thought himself as a criminal. That was what the whole speech in the FBI truck was about. Now he realises he is the evil intent, he will become the Kingpin. Also the media will probably recognise him that way as well.

This season was his origin story as well as Daredevils. Agree that the title of the newspaper article should have read Daredevil catches Kingpin of crime.

Think Fisk never thought himself as a criminal. That was what the whole speech in the FBI truck was about. Now he realises he is the evil intent, he will become the Kingpin. Also the media will probably recognise him that way as well.

This season was his origin story as well as Daredevils. Agree that the title of the newspaper article should have read Daredevil catches Kingpin of crime.

That's also the point of his rant towards DD during their fight in the last episode. He finally gave up on Hell's Kitchen and is now looking out for just himself and Vanessa.

I really like how the brought mysticism into it without harping on it or making a big deal out of it. Case in point when Gao put's DD on his ass with no effort and then mysteriously disappears extremely fast for a frail old lady as well as how DD explains meditation helps him heal quicker. Kind of priming the audience for all the stuff Iron Fist will bring to the table without going into it a lot

Also this is the 3rd Marvel property to have a weed reference in it which I think is hilarious. So we have Avengers, SHIELD and DD all talking about the ganja, the folks that work at Marvel must enjoy that herbal enlightenment haha

Now that I think about it they never really get into how he got the name Daredevil either. When Fisk broke out and all the TV cameras were on him I thought DD would throw down with him there and that would show the world DD but instead he beats Kingpin in an alley with nobody around that I could tell until Sgt. Mahoney shows up and doesn't report him to dispatch. Did Mahoney tell the press or did DD sit around until a reporter came by and got a good look at him to draw a sketch? This is an area where I could have seen Ben as being very useful to explain it

Now that I think about it they never really get into how he got the name Daredevil either. When Fisk broke out and all the TV cameras were on him I thought DD would throw down with him there and that would show the world DD but instead he beats Kingpin in an alley with nobody around that I could tell until Sgt. Mahoney shows up and doesn't report him to dispatch. Did Mahoney tell the press or did DD sit around until a reporter came by and got a good look at him to draw a sketch? This is an area where I could have seen Ben as being very useful to explain it

Probably a press conference to announce that they'd caught him. Mahoney probably said that Daredevil had taken Fisk down but escaped just as he arrived.

So Mahoney came up with the name? Did Matt tell him he's DD? It's not clear at all

I really like how the brought mysticism into it without harping on it or making a big deal out of it. Case in point when Gao put's DD on his ass with no effort and then mysteriously disappears extremely fast for a frail old lady as well as how DD explains meditation helps him heal quicker. Kind of priming the audience for all the stuff Iron Fist will bring to the table without going into it a lot

Also this is the 3rd Marvel property to have a weed reference in it which I think is hilarious. So we have Avengers, SHIELD and DD all talking about the ganja, the folks that work at Marvel must enjoy that herbal enlightenment haha

Why is this so radical? Weed is not as taboo as it once was. Also the reference was to Foggy saying like he "smoked a dooby" once. That's a pretty softcore reference.

So Mahoney came up with the name? Did Matt tell him he's DD? It's not clear at all

Mahoney came up with the name I think. He asks DD what should I call you but Matt runs off. It's not clear but implied that Mahoney made it up. But I guess it's up to you to decide.

Well he was already going by the devil of Hell's Kitchen before then, so Daredevil is a somewhat natural evolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"