Daredevil Daredevil Official Reviews Thread

Talion

Superhero Detective
Reaction score
Prepare for the worst, but hope for mediocre. Following the weak Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the better, but barely watched, Agent Carter series, fans have every right to be nervous about any new live-action Marvel shows. Where Marvel failed in trying too hard to adapt their storytelling to the conventions of broadcast television, Marvel succeed in adapting to the conventions of on-demand television. Marvel’s new series Daredevil is not only the best superhero TV series they’ve produced, it is to-date the best series produced for an on-demand streaming service.

Source: http://televisedrevolution.com/review/review-marvels-daredevil-episode-1

I know it’s still early in the year, but I’m calling it now: The most beautifully choreographed fight scenes of 2015 will be on Netflix, courtesy of Marvel’s Daredevil. We’ve seen the first four episodes, and this show is like no other comic book adaption on the small screen yet. The beauty of Netflix is the freedom it allows—Daredevil gets as dark as the source material requires. It’s so dark, it’s almost a better Batman show than Gotham, and that show actually has Batman in it. If nothing else, Daredevil will rule the comic book TV landscape for years to come.

Source: http://observer.com/2015/03/spring-arts-preview-2015-top-7-television-premieres/

MARVEL’S DAREDEVIL REVIEW: BEAUTIFUL, BRUTAL, BRILLIANT

The first five episodes of Marvel’s Daredevil were provided by Netflix for review.

While flipping through the pages of your favorite comic book, it is easy to forget how brutal the world of superheroes truly can be, especially for the street-level heroes. Up to this point, the Marvel Cinematic Universe has been saturated with superhuman powers, Iron Man suits, and villains who seek to conquer or destroy worlds.

This led me to be skeptical about whether or not Marvel’s Daredevil would be able to take what made their super-powered Cinematic Universe so popular and adapt it to their human heroes. How big of a threat could Wilson Fisk be when compared to Ronan, Loki, or any of the other MCU villains? What makes Matthew Murdock, a lawyer from bad place’s Kitchen, so special?

After watching the first five episodes, I can safely say that Marvel’s Daredevil transcends the current offering of comic book shows on television, redefining the genre as we know it.

I'm not going forward because I'm avoiding spoilers. :woot:

That first one is garbage since SHIELD rocks now so their opinion already is null and void for me

Yet another very positive review:

Daredevil is a must-see Netflix show that proves Marvel Studios can do more than produce traditional superhero blockbuster fare. The show mixes up the standard Marvel formula and is all the better for it. Not just for Daredevil and Marvel fans, but also for viewers who like their superheroes a tad darker and more realistic (think DC’s Arrow or The Dark Knight Trilogy). Daredevil may not be the most original mix between superhero show and crime drama, but it is everything a live-action Daredevil origin story should be. Right on the mark, this one.

Source: http://www.brainfreeze.be/2015/04/01/review-marvels-daredevil-netflix/2/

Ooft, such bad buzz... ;).

While it's a potential mine-field lifting review embargo on April Fool's Day, I'm glad all the reviews thus far have been so positive. My excitement grows and grows!

Pretty sure embargo was supposed to lift tomorrow - so I'd expect the bulk of reviews then.

Ooft, such bad buzz... ;).

While it's a potential mine-field lifting review embargo on April Fool's Day, I'm glad all the reviews thus far have been so positive. My excitement grows and grows!

Maybe he left out a$$ as in Bad-a$$.

Mark your calendars and start prepping for a binge watch session: there are only 10 days left until Daredevil’s official induction into the Marvel Cinematic Universe on April 10th. We got to watch the first five hours of the 13 episode-long series early, and BOY is it fantastic. Seriously, put all Ben Affleck-fueled worries behind you and get fully onboard the hype train, because we can bet you won’t be disappointed by what Netflix has done with this beloved comic book vigilante.

mild spoilers

http://www.mtv.com/news/2120248/netflix-daredevil-review/

Damn, beat me to it!

giphy.gif

Finally a chance to use this gif.

Another very positive review that I can't translate properly:

http://www.entania.com/tv/news/2324-...medium=twitter

I attempted to run this review through Google translate....

Shattered bones, bursting wounds , bursting heads: In Marvel's first Netflix series " Daredevil " it's too brutal and bloody. Because it must be so. Because anything else would not be true to the abyss that awaits us in this part of the Marvel universe.

Senses

Daredevil does not have to face any alien invaders, power-hungry gods or destructive mobs of killer robots. Others in the Marvel Universe are responsible for that. Avengers members like Iron Man, Captain America and Thor. The masked superhero instead has to deal with human and drug trafficking, child abduction, corruption and murder. With all the things, then, which do not require any supernatural beings.

The only supernatural encounters come in the form of little references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, in which not only the movie adventures of the Avengers, but also the events of "Daredevil" series are located. And this is featured in the form embodied by Charlie Cox as the title character, who lost his sight as a child, but since then, has gained sharpened senses, by which it can perceive its environment to superhuman manner. Which is extremely handy when he beats the bad place out of opponents in his bad place's Kitchen neighborhood in New York. Or even as he works as a lawyer under his real name Matt Murdock and can hear when listening to the heartbeat whether his clients tell the truth or lie.

Unvarnished brutality

That being said, "Daredevil" has the fierce, hardheaded realism of crime series such as "NYPD Blue," "The Shield" and "The Wire" in terms of atmosphere and staging obviously committed. The action largely takes place in the streets, in dilapidated buildings and dreary offices. The hero is a man driven, who is threatening to lose their own humanity in the course of his grueling, seemingly hopeless struggle. The grounded, uncompromising approach also corresponds to the staging of the action scenes: Instead of the effect charged spectacle, which is otherwise known from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, "Daredevil" has hard, form-fitting combats of rawness and brutality. Among the highlights of the first confrontations are a rotated without apparent cut fight sequence in which Daredevil reaches his physical limits, as he deals with multiple enemies as long it takes until each of them is on the ground. To rotate the ambitious scene as a single, long shot, is by no means an end in itself, but rather, to make noticeable the increasing exhaustion of the hero formally for us viewers. Matt Murdock can not battle his way in pleasing rhythm cut to a music clip - he wants to stay alive, he is struggling through a struggle that does not allow an interrupt. Even in the form of a cut.

In any case, the battered body of Matt Murdock says far more about the hero, as is common in the action genre. We always have the scars of past struggles in mind, see the adding new wounds and the blood seeping from his body. As the needle pierces the flesh and the thread in its wake, when he turns to his allies Claire Temple (Rosario Dawson) so he can be patched up again. That Daredevil despite his superhuman senses is physically just as vulnerable as anyone else, is not a mere assertion, but is clear to us with all due drama. How seriously the series takes its own premise and its heroes, shows up as strongly as the emphasis of his physical infirmity with almost any aspect.

Big Bad

This afterall, makes "Daredevil" - at least in the first five episodes that were shown to the press so far - a show that gets everything right. The ensemble is staffed with excellent Charlie Cox and Rosario Dawson and Elden Henson as Murdock's law firm partner Foggy Nelson, Deborah Ann Woll as their client Karen Page and Vondie Curtis-Hall as idealistic reporter Ben Urich. And then there's the Big Bad of the first in this series of interlocking 13-episode seasons: The ruthless crime boss Wilson Fisk aka the Kingpin, who is also in the comic soruce material the arch-enemy of Daredevil, and Vincent D'Onofrio is so fascinating and threatening in his portrayal that one is constantly spellbound by his dark aura.

"Daredevil" shows once again what an unerring sense the architects of the Marvel Cinematic Universe have for their heroes - regardless of whether it is expensive blockbuster action movies, fun space opera or even gloomy series. Starting from the selection of Netflix, which allows the kind of explicit violence, which is appropriate given the substance, but in the form unacceptable within the major US networks, up to the show runners of the series. With Drew Goddard, who was initially responsible for the design and Steven S. DeKnight, who then took over the helm, two authors at work that have demonstrated their talent for complex genre series already on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and demonstrate that they can bring the necessary sensitivity for a dark material like "Daredevil".

If the series is this persistent in quality, it could do for the audiovisual arts what Frank Miller's Daredevil interpretation in the 80s did for the comic arts: You could pave the way for the superhero genre into regions where no abyss seems too deep not to tell on appropriate unsparing manner thereof.

Sorry, the translation was a bit rough in places, I tried to tidy it up where I could.

http://www.superherohype.com/featur...herohype-review-of-marvels-daredevil#/slide/1

"I cannot applaud “Marvel’s Daredevil” enough. From its succinct telling of the origin, to the dynamic character drama, to the stellar fluid action, and the underlying through narrative, the show is another home run for Marvel. Drew Goddard’s script for the first two episodes is flawlessly put together with the same melding of reverence and new flavors that make the other Marvel products work. Executive Producer Steven DeKnight has developed a world within the Marvel Universe that is both unique and lived-in but also now integral to the scope of the MCU. If the rest of the Netflix shows are done with the same amount of heart, guts, and edge that “Marvel’s Daredevil” has, then there is nothing at all to worry about."

Last edited:
"I'm hearing some very bad buzz about Daredevil". Lol.

not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good? lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"