Jessica Jones Daredevil S1 vs Jessica Jones S1

I enjoyed both but my vote goes to Jessica Jones

I found it the more enjoyable and interesting of the two to watch and in fact my favourite of Marvel's television shows overall :up:

Both are great and they are the top two superhero shows ever for me. I have to give a slight advantage to Daredevil though.

Nice to see that different people enjoyed different shows and it's not an universal opinion about which show people liked more. For me, DD is the winner, but I really enjoyed JJ for what it was - a very different kind of show than DD, yet still very similar in certain aspects.

Mjölnir;32614807 said:
Both are great and they are the top two superhero shows ever for me. I have to give a slight advantage to Daredevil though.

Nice to see that different people enjoyed different shows and it's not an universal opinion about which show people liked more. For me, DD is the winner, but I really enjoyed JJ for what it was - a very different kind of show than DD, yet still very similar in certain aspects.

Agreed on both counts. Two best superhero shows and glad we've got supporters of each.

I enjoyed both, both Daredevil gets the nod only because DD is one of my favorite characters of all time, so such an excellent adaptation added another level of enjoyment for me. I do think DD had better direction, while I think the acting in JJ has the very slight advantage. Both are on par as far as writing is concerned.

:csad: Honestly, it's hard to choose because both shows have more differences than similarities.

Similarities
-Both have tragic, flawed, emotionally screwed protagonists
-Both shows have a violent, surreal dark tone
-Both have brutal, menacing overarching main villains

That's where it ends for me at least. The thing is Daredevil felt like a more serialized, grander series with a dark, gritty superhero style that had just as much substance with awesome performances, great storytelling, jaw-dropping twists, etc.

Jessica Jones, while based off the Alias comics, was a more subtle series that was a psychological drama with a film noir structure, equally stellar performances, good twists and some action thrown in here and there.

I loved both Kingpin and Killgrave. Easily the best MCU villains after Loki and Winter Solider. Both brilliantly acted and wonderfully realized antagonists with well written backstories and motivations that are understandable as they leave a massive body count throughout both shows. Back to the main heroes, Matt and Jessica are great characters, both played by very gifted actors who simply ARE the characters, performances that feel organic and real. I mean, that first scene in the confessional during DD's first episode still gives me chills and Jessica breaking down after shooting Luke with the shot gun as she confesses her feelings for him...awesome stuff! :yay:

I like the "Law & Order" aspects of DD but the main focus was definitely more on the superhero theme, which of course, I enjoyed. The action scenes in DD were marvelous (puns away!), some of the best I've seen in ANY action/superhero show, movie etc. That one take final fight in episode 2 is STILL legendary in terms of execution, direction and choreography. Like many have said, that's what made DD essentially the more entertaining show since it was more action orientated. But it makes more sense since Matt/DD is a trained martial artists with allies and villains ingrained in that style of combat while Jessica, Luke, etc. are street brawlers with super strength, so I actually like the difference in action styles which give the characters more of their own personalities. Not that Jessica Jones didn't have good or memorable fights, I still think the bar fight with her and Luke was hilariously entertaining from a story progression stand point as they discover each other's powers. Not to mention, the fight between her and Luke as well as her and Simpson in her apartment were pretty brutal. Not as brutal as DD looking like he might get sliced in half as a ninja drags his bleeding body toward him but you know what I mean. :oldrazz:

I have to say both also have a great supporting cast/characters. Yes, even crazy twin sister who doesn't know what the bad place she's talking about. Sure, a rather dumb, illogical character but she served her purpose by reminding Jessica even the most naïve and annoying are worth saving. :whatever: All and All, DD and JJ are both great shows, full of depth, maturity and emotional resonance. I'd say DD is only slightly better do to stronger writing, amazing visuals/direction, superb action set pieces and felt like a 13 episode movie culminating with the Man with No Fear in his red costumed glory. JJ was more character driven while only referencing and down playing the superhero side of her character. Ultimately, she was a different kind of hero than DD who had to overcome some overwhelming emotional turmoil more than Matt. She didn't have the luxury of being this masked vigilante that won the hearts of NY in the papers by season's end but was the ultimate underdog who was out to stop a man who robbed her of her self-worth. It was more a story of personal triumph than a cautionary tale of bad place's Kitchen's crime syndicate.

Daredevil: A-

Jessica Jones: B+

So I guess I pick DD, huh? :loco:

Last edited:
daredevil, no question.

jessica jones was a good show and enjoyable, but way more flawed than daredevil, which was some of the best mcu stuff, ever.

I loved Jessica Jones. It had alot of heart and it had good characters and a really small, personal story.

That said it wasn't quite as clean as Daredevil. It felt a little choppy in places and the action felt more fake. Like something about the choreography was off. The characters, while good, didn't become great like I thought in Daredevil. I started to think halfway that I didn't give a **** about Hogarth and her story, but it made sense in the end.

Tenant was great as Kilgrave though and rivaled Kingpin as a great villain. I was still disappointed he didn't go full on purple though.

So while it was still pretty good, full of good acting and a good story, it never quite became that above and beyond great to me that Daredevil was.

I'd give it an 8.5/10 to Daredevil's 9.5/10

DD takes it for me, just by a little bit
better action, more likable characters, better pacing

JJ was darker (psychologically) and had some potent things to say, but the characters were not as likable even as they were more relatable, and some characters *cough*lukecage*cough* were very bland (hopefully he's more street smart and badass in his series)

And villains, I think they were on equal footing
Kilgrave was creepier, while Fisk is more terrifying
both were awesome

ps. Hype is telling me I'm spelling relatable wrong... how is it spelled?? the dictionary's telling me I'm right...

Last edited:
Although it was definitely heavier and darker, for whatever reason I was more emotionally invested in JJ. If I'm going by heart-pumping goodness then it's DD all the way, but something about the flawed and depressed JJ made her more compelling to me. Don't get me wrong though, DD was beyond awesome!

Both had incredibly awesome villains too, two of the best I've seen on screen in quite some time.

I had once said the slight edge goes to DD, but I'll reverse that at this point and give the slightest of slight edges to JJ.

:csad: Honestly, it's hard to choose because both shows have more differences than similarities.

Similarities
-Both have tragic, flawed, emotionally screwed protagonists
-Both shows have a violent, surreal dark tone
-Both have brutal, menacing overarching main villains

That's where it ends for me at least. The thing is Daredevil felt like a more serialized, grander series with a dark, gritty superhero style that had just as much substance with awesome performances, great storytelling, jaw-dropping twists, etc.

Jessica Jones, while based off the Alias comics, was a more subtle series that was a psychological drama with a film noir structure, equality stellar performances, good twists and some action thrown in here and there.

I loved both Kingpin and Killgrave. Easily the best MCU villains after Loki and Winter Solider. Both brilliantly acted and wonderfully realized antagonists with well written backstories and motivations that are understandable as they leave a massive body count throughout both shows. Back to the main heroes, Matt and Jessica are great characters, both played by very gifted actors who simply ARE the characters, performances that feel organic and real. I mean, that first scene in the confessional during DD's first episode still gives me chills and Jessica breaking down after shooting Luke with the shot gun as she confesses her feelings for him...awesome stuff! :yay:

I like the "Law & Order" aspects of DD but the main focus was definitely more on the superhero theme, which of course, I enjoyed. The action scenes in DD were marvelous (puns away!), some of the best I've seen in ANY action/superhero show, movie etc. That one take final fight in episode 2 is STILL legendary in terms of execution, direction and choreography. Like many have said, that's what made DD essentially the more entertaining show since it was more action orientated. But it makes more sense since Matt/DD is a trained martial artists with allies and villains ingrained in that style of combat while Jessica, Luke, etc. are street brawlers with super strength, so I actually like the difference in action styles which give the characters more of their own personalities. Not that Jessica Jones didn't have good or memorable fights, I still think the bar fight her and Luke was hilariously entertaining from a story progression stand point as they discover each other's powers. Not to mention, the fight between her and Luke as well as her and Simpson in her apartment were pretty brutal. Not as brutal as DD looking like he might get sliced in half as a ninja drags his bleeding body toward him but you know what I mean. :oldrazz:

I have to say both also have a great supporting cast/characters. Yes, even crazy twin sister who doesn't know what the bad place she's talking about. Sure, a rather dumb, illogical character but she served her purpose by reminding Jessica even the most naïve and annoying are worth saving. :whatever: All and All, DD and JJ are both great shows, full of depth, maturity and emotional resonance. I'd say DD is only slightly better do to stronger writing, amazing visuals/direction, superb action set pieces and felt like a 13 episode movie culminating with the Man with No Fear in his red costumed glory. JJ was more character driven while only referencing and down playing the superhero side of her character. Ultimately, she was a different kind of hero than DD who had to overcome some overwhelming emotional turmoil more than Matt. She didn't have the luxury of being this masked vigilante that won the hearts of NY in the papers by season's end but was the ultimate underdog who was out to stop a man who robbed her of her self-worth. It was more a story of personal triumph than a cautionary tale of bad place's Kitchen's crime syndicate.

Daredevil: A-

Jessica Jones: B+

So I guess I pick DD, huh? :loco:
Although my grade for JJ is also an A and there are few other points you bring up that I that I disagree with, it was still a nice read. So thanks for sharing your thoughts!

JJ for me, best Marvel show so far and one of the best things they have done. Kilgrave is hands down the best villain Marvel has done also.

Honestly, it's not even close for me.

I loved Daredevil and hated almost everything about Jessica Jones.

I found Jessica Jones to be a poorly paced and poorly written dreary series with characters I never connected with nor cared about. Daredevil is the exact opposite. DD was so well written and every character had depth, even the supporting cast.

Daredevil held my interest more than JJ.

Easily Daredevil, I'm about 6 or 7 episodes into JJ and honestly I think it's boring as. It's taking me ages to finish it.

Honestly, it's not even close for me.

I loved Daredevil and hated almost everything about Jessica Jones.

I found Jessica Jones to be a poorly paced and poorly written dreary series with characters I never connected with nor cared about. Daredevil is the exact opposite. DD was so well written and every character had depth, even the supporting cast.

Think you actually nailed how I feel :up:

Jessica Jones, definitely. I liked Daredevil a lot too, but I enjoyed Jessica Jones more and preferred the lead, villain and style.

Easily Daredevil, I'm about 6 or 7 episodes into JJ and honestly I think it's boring as. It's taking me ages to finish it.

Think you actually nailed how I feel :up:

I'm still on episode 4. lol

Yeah it's pretty awesome that the tones and textures are totally different yet there's a lot of connective tissue between the two shows.

From a critics stand point it's about even w.both show receiving critical praise. An acting nomination for lead actress for JJ and since it was recently announced JJ had the most viewers on Netflix but both w.great enough success to warrant a second season.

Exciting times!! And for those who haven't finished JJ keep going there's definitely a build.

And if u fall in the minority and didn't like DD or JJ I think u might fell better w.them in an ensemble cast of Defenders.

I can't really say one is better than the other. DD feels more like Batman and JJ feels more like CSI. Two different genres. You have the formulaic super hero gritty show. Then the psychological crime thriller drama actioner. I think the Netflix MCU is better than the movie MCU. I prefer the 13 hour film format and the grit rather than the condensed family friendly fare of Iron Man 2 etc.

With Jessica Jones, I was never really satisfied with the fight choreography. It's not that I expect her to be this badass martial artist, but the way action beats were shot looked very sloppy and like the directors and stunt choreographers were novices.

To give an example, in that first bar fight with Luke Cage, you see Luke Cage in like the corner most of the time and what's happening to him is very low key and obscured. It's not properly highlighting how sharp objects are just bouncing off him and not hurting him. It looked way too casual.

Jessica Jones sort of runs out of gas in its back half, whereas I believe Daredevil built to its finale very well. The romantic subplot with Simpson was bad. The subplot with the twin neighbors was terrible. Then in one episode the support group goes to Jones' house and attacks her, which was beyond stupid.

I feel like with Jessica Jones, they were losing sight of the objective in the last few episodes and they didn't really know the best way to wrap everything up for the season.

With Jessica Jones, I was never really satisfied with the fight choreography. It's not that I expect her to be this badass martial artist, but the way action beats were shot looked very sloppy and like the directors and stunt choreographers were novices.

To give an example, in that first bar fight with Luke Cage, you see Luke Cage in like the corner most of the time and what's happening to him is very low key and obscured. It's not properly highlighting how sharp objects are just bouncing off him and not hurting him. It looked way too casual.

Jessica Jones sort of runs out of gas in its back half, whereas I believe Daredevil built to its finale very well. The romantic subplot with Simpson was bad. The subplot with the twin neighbors was terrible. Then in one episode the support group goes to Jones' house and attacks her, which was beyond stupid.

I feel like with Jessica Jones, they were losing sight of the objective in the last few episodes and they didn't really know the best way to wrap everything up for the season.

I disagree that the show runs out of gas toward the end, I thought it just got better and better as it went on.

However, I somewhat agree about the action and depiction of powers. I liked a lot of what we got, but we never really got an epic action scene that you instantly want to go back to. Daredevil has JJ beat in this regard. I know the shows were going for different styles, but yeah, JJ needed more. I actually liked the fight with Nuke, but the LC one was a bit of a let down.

And yeah, in one episode Jessica gets straight up after being hit by a van, in another she is knocked out with a plank of wood, it was inconsistent to say the least.

Still loved the show though and it's he best one yet for me.

Haha can't say I'm surprised, I still haven't watched anymore.

A couple of episodes are quite a chore to watch but if you dedicate some time and effort to it and eat some food like popcorn while you're at it, you would finish the entire season. I watched the 13 episodes in 4 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"