Sci-Fi Dark Matter

The book is fantastic, glad it's being turned into a series rather than a feature film.

So this isn't about the Canadian Sci fi show?

Loved the book, and they have a great cast here. I worry though that they waited a bit too long on this one. The concept, while well executed, is kind of old at this point.

Loved the book, and they have a great cast here. I worry though that they waited a bit too long on this one. The concept, while well executed, is kind of old at this point.
I only read the synopsis of the show in IMDB. Is it something that was shown a lot elsewhere?

I only read the synopsis of the show in IMDB. Is it something that was shown a lot elsewhere?

Yeah; if you really want to know,
the main character discovers the existence of a multiverse.

Thought the 1st 2 episodes were decent, and seems to be following the book fairly closely.
Although if I recall correctly they only reveal the existance of a multiverse only halfway through the book, and in the tv show thats revealed in the 2nd episode

Really enjoyed the first 2 eps. And I thought Joel Edgerton did a fantastic job -

by now we've all seen plenty of multiverse films where someone has a doppelganger who is evil or markedly different from them in looks and personality, which in some respects lets the actor cut loose a little and really exaggerate the contrast. But in these initial episodes of Dark Matter, the two characters that Edgarton plays are essentially the same person - up to a point in their lives 16yrs prior where they made different career and relationship choices - and then their lives went down different routes. So it's a very nuanced and effective performance where the characters look exactly the same, and almost behave the same but there are some subtle differences in demeanour, confidence and composure which marks them apart.

Nearly caught up, and have been enjoying it so far. It's probably just me but watching Joel Ederton in this I keep thinking to myself that this is the exact type of role that I could see Bryan Cranston doing, Edertons character (Jason) just reminds me so much of Walt, that I would not be surprised if he watched tons of Breaking Bad to prep for the role.

There's a particular scene in episode 4,where other Jason is watching and studying his other self playing a boardgame with his family, and it felt like you were watching Heisenberg watching Walt before he broke bad (or even Hal from Malcolm in the Middle), then in the latest episode I watched Jason buys his son a car without even speaking about it to his wife, very similar to Walt buying Walt jr a car

One episode left, and it's getting really good, however unless I missed it they don't seem to explain how Jason and Amanda can afford to pay for stuff in the other realities.

One episode left, and it's getting really good, however unless I missed it they don't seem to explain how Jason and Amanda can afford to pay for stuff in the other realities.
I was wondering that myself lol

I was wondering where ep8 was gonna go, expecting it to be just some kind of showdown between the two Jasons. I did not predict that route they took.

I read the book, I knew where it was headed eventually however I figured that would be the season finale cliffhanger, which makes me wonder what cliffhanger do they end S1 on

I read the book, I knew where it was headed eventually however I figured that would be the season finale cliffhanger, which makes me wonder what cliffhanger do they end S1 on
How far into the book has this season gotten?

How far into the book has this season gotten?
Pretty far from what I recall, they have at least covered about 70% of the book
( I think they have just covered Chapter 13 or 14 from the books in the latest episode?)

Last edited:
That was a great series, thoroughly enjoyed it and loved how it wrapped up, does it need a 2nd season? absolutely not, would I complain if they did a 2nd season? absolutely not.

That was a great series, thoroughly enjoyed it and loved how it wrapped up, does it need a 2nd season? absolutely not, would I complain if they did a 2nd season? absolutely not.

This. I thought it was a good ending, and it was done in such a way that the story could end there or they could follow up with season 2 exploring more of the fallout from that last episode.

I know I'm in the minority but I really hated the last couple of episodes. There were both plot holes and things that are morally ambiguous in it.

Like how come Jason A had so many versions of himself reaching his world, but Jason B, the kidnapper, was the only one arriving when he did? Also why did the Jason who ended up running away with his family deserved it more than any of the others who where pretty much the same person up until a very recent point after the kidnapping? They were all taken away from their families.

The show does question that around the ending and it gives the answer that it's because this is what Daniela and Charlie want. But they only wanted that because that Jason just happened to be the first who approached them! It could be anyone in his place. The answer is simple. Because this is the Jason's journey we've been following since episode 1. But it still feels wrong anyway I look at it.

I know I'm in the minority but I really hated the last couple of episodes. There were both plot holes and things that are morally ambiguous in it.

Like how come Jason A had so many versions of himself reaching his world, but Jason B, the kidnapper, was the only one arriving when he did? Also why did the Jason who ended up running away with his family deserved it more than any of the others who where pretty much the same person up until a very recent point after the kidnapping? They were all taken away from their families.

The show does question that around the ending and it gives the answer that it's because this is what Daniela and Charlie want. But they only wanted that because that Jason just happened to be the first who approached them! It could be anyone in his place. The answer is simple. Because this is the Jason's journey we've been following since episode 1. But it still feels wrong anyway I look at it.

Morally and ethically, every single one of those Jasons could have the same right to be reunited with their family as the Jason A that we have been watching throughout the show. They are all him, to various different degrees. Some have been through harder challenges and suffered more than others, and as a result have become more hard nosed and willing to take more extreme measures. Whilst others (like those round the box at the end) are closer to the Jason A we know, retaining some generosity of spirit and willing to let their family’s happiness and safety take priority.

I guess that’s the fundamental nature of the show. There is no easy answer when you’re dealing with equal copies of a person, all of whom just made some slightly different decision at some point. It leaves an uncomfortable feeling because there is no clear cut hero or villain (asides from Jason B, who somewhat redeems himself ultimately) and no real winner. But it does a good job of illustrating how any one of us could make good or bad life choices and as a result end up affecting our character, our nature and the prism that we view life through.

Go out your driveway, turn right, go to work and get a promotion. Come home and celebrate with your family.

Turn left, slightly down the road you get distracted by your phone and cause an accident and a fatality. Go to jail for manslaughter. Come out of jail a very different person to who went in.

The simplest choice can have totally unknown effects

My biggest query now is how the world left behind reacts to the hundreds of Jasons running around.

Morally and ethically, every single one of those Jasons could have the same right to be reunited with their family as the Jason A that we have been watching throughout the show. They are all him, to various different degrees. Some have been through harder challenges and suffered more than others, and as a result have become more hard nosed and willing to take more extreme measures. Whilst others (like those round the box at the end) are closer to the Jason A we know, retaining some generosity of spirit and willing to let their family’s happiness and safety take priority.

I guess that’s the fundamental nature of the show. There is no easy answer when you’re dealing with equal copies of a person, all of whom just made some slightly different decision at some point. It leaves an uncomfortable feeling because there is no clear cut hero or villain (asides from Jason B, who somewhat redeems himself ultimately) and no real winner. But it does a good job of illustrating how any one of us could make good or bad life choices and as a result end up affecting our character, our nature and the prism that we view life through.

Go out your driveway, turn right, go to work and get a promotion. Come home and celebrate with your family.

Turn left, slightly down the road you get distracted by your phone and cause an accident and a fatality. Go to jail for manslaughter. Come out of jail a very different person to who went in.

The simplest choice can have totally unknown effects

My biggest query now is how the world left behind reacts to the hundreds of Jasons running around.
Yeah but the thing is the show presented this as a natural choice and made it pretty easy morally. All these things that you say are not been shown in the narrative. There was no ambiguity, no second thoughts, no real questioning. His family accepted him from the get go. You can't turn to such complex themes and plot and then have a happy ending like that. For me it should have closed in a way that no Jason ended up with his family or at the very least make his selection a more natural choice, not one by luck. It seems like the writer wanted to have his cake and eat it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"