Dark (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by elgaz, Jun 21, 2019.

1. elgaz

elgaz Registered

Has anyone watched this show? I was browsing on Netflix a few months ago and came across it, did a quick Google and the audience scores were fantastic.

Starts off almost like a more sombre and darker version of Stranger Things - two kids in a German town go missing. But as the story unravels, we start to learn about the complex relationships of the families living in the town, mysterious events that have happened and before long it's delving into time travel, with lots of twists and puzzles along the way.

I don't normally go for foreign language shows (it's German, though dubbed in English) but as a mystery-drama with sci-fi overtones, this is gripping and brilliant.

Season 2 just released so will give that a watch over the next week or two.

2. Persona

Persona Registered

I think the pace and tone is perhaps a little too monotone and dour for a TV series (something I wouldn't mind in a film but becomes a bit of a drag when stretched past a few hours) but I did appreciate the ambition of the narrative which becomes really apparent about half-way through that first season. At a certain point it becomes hard to differentiate if the show is really brilliantly plotted or if it's just too complicated for most minds (such as my own) to really pick it apart, but either way I think the audacity is too be applauded.

I'm not exactly looking forward to the second season as I don't love the characters and it's not exactly entertaining (and I also feat the nature of the show's concept can only lead to diminishing returns the longer it goes on) but I will definitely check it out at some point.

elgaz likes this.
  3. elgaz

elgaz Registered

Personally I opted to believe it was brilliantly plotted, too many things interweaving for it just to have fallen together like that. I agree it’s quite a bleak show, one of the things I like about it.

4. Closerframe

Closerframe Registered

Plan on starting and finishing the new season this week, and I'm already glad this is getting a third/final season next year. I absolutely love the pacing, character connections, and overall atmosphere in this show. But most importantly, how absolutely depressing it is. I mean, it is called Dark.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  5. elgaz

elgaz Registered

Have got to Ep5 so far of season 2. I always worry after a terrific first season that the quality will drop, but this show is knocking it out of the park. Very complex and may even need a rewatch to fully understand the intricacies of the storyline, but so gripping.

6. KaijuDude1992

KaijuDude1992 Registered

Gripping is exactly the word I would use to describe this show. By the time it got to episode 4 or 5 I was completely hooked. Just like the first season I really do love the pacing and the tone of this show even if it does take it's time to get where it's going. It can all get very complex though, especially if your not paying close attention. The way they handle a certain high sci-fi concept is really interesting IMO, and all the big reveals and twist and turns definitely have the effect they are intended to whether it's for emotional or shock value or even sometimes both.

7. ironman_rick

ironman_rick Registered

i binge watched the first season within 2 days.......

Waited more than 2 years for this show.....and i have forgotten what all the twist and turns (who is the father, the aunt, the sister) were in season 1. Watched episode 1 of season 2 and still cannot remember how all the main characters are related.

KaijuDude1992 and elgaz like this.
  8. Closerframe

Closerframe Registered

You’ll find plenty of family trees online but if you haven’t finished Season 2 yet, avoid any of the newer stuff because there are plenty of shocking relations by the end of the season.

KaijuDude1992 and ironman_rick like this.
  9. elgaz

elgaz Registered

Just finished it last night, wow is all I can say. Great finale. And that ending has upped it all a notch.

10. elgaz

elgaz Registered

11. Kaleb

Kaleb 2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion

Finally decided to watch the 1st episode,and I'm hooked.

KaijuDude1992 and elgaz like this.
  12. Kaleb

Kaleb 2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion

'Dark' is incredible,Ive been binging S1 over the last few days(currently on episode 9), that I often have to keep reminding myself that I still need to watch S3 of 'Stranger Things'. Honestly when it came to shows involving the complexities of 'time travel' I always thought '12 Monkeys' was the best around...until now.

There are still some questions I have about the show

Why does it rain nearly all the time ?

How are children allowed to come and go as they please in and out of school ?

Also
    Subs > Dubs