'Dark Nights: Metal' reading order question

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by Milk Tray Guy, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

First time reading this, having just started Dark Days: The Road to Metal (which collects Dark Days: The Forge #1, Dark Days: The Casting #1, Final Crisis #6-7, Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #1, Batman #38-39, Nightwing #17, and stories from Detective Comics #950).

According to Wikipedia the other collected editions are,

Dark Nights: Metal Deluxe Edition Hardcover (Collects Dark Nights: Metal #1-6)

Dark Nights: Metal: The Nightmare Batmen (Collects Batman: The Red Death #1, Batman: The Devestator #1, Batman: The Merciless #1, Batman: The Murder Machine #1, Batman: The Drowned #1, Batman: The Dawnbreaker #1, The Batman Who Laughs #1 and Dark Knights Rising: The Wild Hunt #1)

Dark Nights: Metal - The Resistance (Collects Teen Titans #12, Nightwing #29, Suicide Squad #26, Green Arrow #32, The Flash #33, Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #32, Justice League #32-33, Batman: Lost #1, Hawkman: Found #1)

Thing is I've seen quite a bit of debate online about the reading order, with some fans saying just read the collections as they are and others saying that you need to jump about a bit between volumes for it to make chronological sense.

Does anybody here have any advice one way or the other?

Thanks.

Edit:

Okay...

I've finished reading the whole event - and just reading the volumes as published is definitely not the way to go!

Here is what seems to me to be the right reading order. I'm referring to the trades throughout (I've only read this event once; I'll read it again soon - in the following order this time - and if this needs any alteration I'll come back to it);

1. Dark Days: The Road to Metal. All of it, straight through.

2. Dark Nights: Metal (core series) #1 and 2

3. Dark Nights: Metal: The Resistance. All of it except all four parts of 'Bats Out of Hell'

4. Dark Nights: Metal: Dark Knights Rising (btw, this had a title change - it was originally listed as Dark Nights: Metal: The Nightmare Batmen). All of it, straight through.

5. Dark Nights: Metal (core series) #3

6. Now read all four parts of 'Bats Out of Hell' (that you skipped when you read Dark Nights: Metal: The Resistance - see point 3 above)

7. Dark Nights: Metal (core series) from #4 onwards.

There are still some unanswered questions/things left hanging and some details definitely appear to be missing. I don't know if there were any other titles related to the event that haven't been collected yet :shrug:. I'll look into that. Anyway, hope this is useful!

2nd Edit:

Looking around online this seems broadly to be the consensus. There are a few different suggestions on the placement of some issues that don't deal directly with core events. As I say, once I've tried it in this order I'll come back if it needs further work.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  2. MMMMM...Pancakes

MMMMM...Pancakes Cena Wins LOL

Is the Road to Metal trade necessary?

3. Milk Tray Guy

Can't really tell at the moment! I'm enjoying it though. Snyder certainly loves to retcon/reimagine DC history.

4. Babillygunn

Babillygunn Tag team champion

I read all trades and tie ins, and still was pretty confused. Lol. That’s why I find the question “is ______ necessary?” a tough question.

5. Milk Tray Guy

:funny: Okay, thanks!

6. MMMMM...Pancakes

Interesting.

7. MMMMM...Pancakes

Any updates Milk Tray Guy?

8. Milk Tray Guy

I bought the three remaining trades today! I think I'll just read them book by book. But if it doesn't make sense I may have to rethink that. Either way once I'm done I'll post back as to what seemed the best way :up:

9. MMMMM...Pancakes

Awesome! Thanks!

10. Milk Tray Guy

Update:

Okay, half-way through. I read Dark Days: The Road to Metal and I've just finished Dark Nights: Metal which is the core series. No real problems so far, although once or twice DNM does seem to make a bit of a leap in its storytelling. Hopefully that'll be clarified in the other two volumes.

Next up is Dark Nights: Metal: Dark Knights Rising (which is shown on Wikipedia as being titled Dark Nights: Metal: The Nightmare Batmen; they must have had a rethink about that, as I've checked and the content/ISBN are identical.)

11. Milk Tray Guy

Okay, I've finished Metal and updated my OP with what I think is the reading order that makes the most sense. If you have any observations/suggestions please let me know! :up:

12. MMMMM...Pancakes

Thanks man!

13. Milk Tray Guy

:up:

You should have seen me sitting on the floor, surrounded by the trades and umpteen scraps of paper with notes and queries! :loco: :funny:

14. sirmarkus

sirmarkus Well-Known Member

At least read "The Forge" and "The Casting", they lay a lot of groundwork for the event.