Darren Aronofsky's: Noah

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Bleeding Cool:
Darren Aronofsky Planning Comic Book, Hoping To Turn It Into A Film
Brendon Connelly said:
Darren Aronofsky has a history with comics. His currently-in-prep next movie is The Wolverine, he produced a comic book version of his film The Fountain before getting to shoot the film (but after his first attempt to film it went awry), and he even attempted to get a big-screen version of Batman: Year One, co-scripted with Frank Miller, off of the ground.

It would seem he’s returning to his Fountain playbook for another comics project. Speaking to Clothes on Film he says:
Well, we’re actually doing [a comic]. It hasn’t really been announced, I don’t know if I should give you the scoop! But we’re getting there. We’re doing a comic book of a script that’s really hard to make and we’re going to do a comic version first and see what happens…

It seems like if you come up with an original script, in Hollywood it’s not as effective as a comic book. It doesn’t even have to be successful as a comic; I mean how successful were Kick-Ass or Scott Pilgrim? Those were fringe comics, right, and they were basically turned in to big pictures.

Of course, Kick-Ass was successful, and Scott Pilgrim became a little bit of a phenomenon, even earning mainstream press comparisons to Harry Potter as a hot-cake series that just flew off the shelves and inspired bustling midnight openings.

But the point stands – even some seldom-read, little-known comic books have been turned into movies.

The question, I guess, is which of Aronofsky’s previous, yet-to-be-filmed projects is it that he’s looking to sneak in through the Comic Book pipe? I think we can cross off any projects that didn’t originate with Aronofsky, anything adapted from a novel or a script that was brough to him by the studio…

…and while I’m sure I don’t know one half of what Aronofsky has been cooking up behind closed doors, of the projects I can recall the only good match seems to be Noah.

The idea for the film predates even the production of Pi, Aronofsky’s first feature. He eventually got a script written with Ari Handel, his collaborator on The Fountain and here’s how he described it to The Guardian:

Noah was the first person to plant vineyards and drink wine and get drunk. It’s there in the Bible – it was one of the first things he did when he reached land. There was some real survivor’s guilt going on there. He’s a dark, complicated character.

And /film:

It’s a great script and it’s huge. And we’re starting to feel out talent. And then we’ll probably try and set it up… It’s the end of the world and it’s the second most famous ship after the Titanic. So I’m not sure why any studio won’t want to make it…

I think it’s really timely because it’s about environmental apocalypse which is the biggest theme, for me, right now for what’s going on on this planet. So I think it’s got these big, big themes that connect with us. Noah was the first environmentalist. He’s a really interesting character. Hopefully they’ll let me make it.

And if they don’t, he’ll go to comics, first of all, where the freedom to be more experimental is greater? Paper’s not cheap, but it sure comes easier than celluloid.

Hopefully more information will be forthcoming on this project. As appealing as Noah sounds, I wouldn’t be surprised if it were something new that never became public before. Either way, we’ll tell you when we find out.

Prediction: The Wolverine will make big bucks and that will convince someone to greenlight Aronofsky's Noah. I just hope he gets around to making that Machine Man movie, too.

Pretty sure "Machine Man" will be Aronofsky's next after "The Wolverine", I think is part of the deal he and his production company signed with Fox.

Prediction: The Wolverine will make big bucks and that will convince someone to greenlight Aronofsky's Noah. I just hope he gets around to making that Machine Man movie, too.

That's usually how Hollywood works.

hope this comes to fruition...and what is this machine man project? i never heard of it?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/darren-aronofsky-signs-develop-direct-32743

Described by Mandalay as an "amped up pop-thriller," the story centers on a gadget geek and engineer at a forward thinking tech firm who is tired of going through life average and unnoticed and is also obsessed with his own self improvement. He decides to replace his weak, fleshy parts with high-end titanium performance upgrades of his own design but then discovers other entities have designs on him for their own motives

You know...for the longest time I've wanted to write a screenplay based on Moses, only a super futureistic/alien world version.

Doubt i'll get around to it. But the story has all the elements to make a great film. Instead of a baby in a basket going down a river, I was going to have a baby sent away from a large spaceship in an escape pod as it's attacked by enemy soldiers to start with.

sigh...

This sounds epic. Anything this man does I'm on board with.:up:

I love the story of Noah and I like Aronofsky so I'd be down for this

Well, okay then. It could turn into a movie the way The Fountain eventually did after it's GN release, but I'll probably pick it up regardless. I like Aronofsky and, even though talent in one medium doesn't necessarily translate to another, his scripting of The Fountain was fairly solid.

I would love to have a studio green-light this. Though it requires a big budget since Aronofsky imagine this as a huge project.

This has the potential to be huge. With Aronofsky's Oscar buzz, I'm sure some studio will pick this pitch up. I'm excited to see where they go with this and of course it'll be interesting to see who he ends up giving the Noah role to.

Aronofsky's "Noah" - Religion Meets Sex

By Garth Franklin
He's been working on the script for six years, now Darren Aronofosky ("Black Swan," "Requiem for a Dream") tells Movieweb that his planned film adaptation of the Biblical story of Noah will be a full adaptation and won't be sanitised for the young-uns.
"[He was the] first environmentalist. [The] first person to plant vineyards, drink wine and get drunk. I was stunned going back and realizing how dirty some of those stories are. They’re not PG in any way. They’re all about sleeping with your brother’s sister who gives you a child who you don’t know. That kind of stuff got censored out of our religious upbringing" he says.
A graphic novel version of Aronofsky’s script is set to be published as a four-part mini-series in 2012 in the hopes of convincing a studio to produce the film. Aronofsky is currently in preparations on his next project "The Wolverine".

Huh? Sensored out of our religious upbringing? What religion did HE believe in? LOL I sure never had the censored version.

Anyway, should be entertaining.

He was raised in a practicing Jewish family, if I remember correctly.

And I think what he may be meaning is that part is kind of demphasized in a lot of ways. When recalling the story of Noah, you do rarely hear about those elements, even if they are in the texts themselves. And you definitely don't teach younger kids those (at least, I don't think most really do).

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/darren-aronofsky-shopping-his-noahs-ark-epic/

Darren Aronofsky Shops Noah's Ark Epic

EXCLUSIVE: I'm told that town is tantalized by a package circulating with Darren Aronofsky directing Noah, an edgy re-telling of the Noah's Ark story. Aronofsky wrote a script that is getting a rewrite by John Logan. I've heard he wants $130 million to make it and that New Regency is eyeing a co-financing role. Suitors considering stepping up for the other half include Paramount and Fox, as well as CBS Films and Summit, I've heard. It was described to me as a big fantasy epic, and an opportunity for Aronofsky to create a world. He's very passionate about it and wants to make it next film, after dropping out of The Wolverine. Aronofsky's got more heat on him than ever after directing the spectacularly profitable Black Swan, which grossed $315 million worldwide on a $12 million budget. His move toward Noah comes after Aronofsky recently flirted with Exodus, the 20th Century Fox and Chernin Entertainment-produced telling of the story of Moses, his defiance of the Pharoah and delivery of the Hebrews from enslavement. That script was written by Adam Cooper and Bill Collage. Beyond an ill-advised morphing of the Noah's Ark story into the Universal spinoff comedy Evan Almighty, nobody has tried to tell the Noah's Ark story in as ambitious a manner as Aronofsky intends. Will a studio step up to help Aronofsky build this boat on as grand a scale as he desires? Stayed tuned. Aronofsky and Logan are repped by CAA.

he wants 130 ? well good for him that Black Swan was a commercial hit.

Here's hoping that a studio will pick it up. It's a dear project to him and I'm interested to see his take on Noah.

So long as it doesn't end up like Last Temptation of Christ, I'm all for this.

Its a well made movie, but it really took huge liberties to the characterization of its Biblical counterparts.

Black Swan grossed $315 million? That is truly impressive.

Here's hoping that a studio will pick it up. It's a dear project to him and I'm interested to see his take on Noah.

I hope so too although given the subject matter I can see some studios shying away from this. Specially if he plans to make it R-Rated which seems like it based on his past interviews. He seems to have some epic plans for the movie so here's to hoping he gets to do it.

I wonder who his choice for Noah will be.

I hope so too although given the subject matter I can see some studios shying away from this. Specially if he plans to make it R-Rated which seems like it based on his past interviews. He seems to have some epic plans for the movie so here's to hoping he gets to do it.

I wonder who his choice for Noah will be.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll happen but it's more likely it won't. Together with the subject matter, the budget and also the rating plays a major factor on whether or not a studio will pick it up. But if it does happen, man it's going to be amazing.

And I think Jeff Bridges would be a good choice for Noah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"